1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's called a drive-through penalty...

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

That takes a lot more than 5 seconds, which is the typical penalty for track infringements that gain or hold positions.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Which is the harsher penalty that might be required lieu of sausage kerbs, as 5 second penalties don't seem to work.

4. RedFlames

5/10s penalties were introduced bc the previous penalty [a drive through] was deemed too harsh for 'minor' transgressions.

myabe a sliding ascale

first time - verbal warnring
    second time - black/white flag
    5s penalty
    drive through
    stop/go
    if you get to 6 times - black flag bc you're either taking the piss or just won;t learn.

Maybe add harsher driver penalty point penalties to the mix too...

Also there's no reason it can't be policed by sensors or telemetry... would probably help take the inconsistent/selective application out of the mix too...

Last edited: 10 Jul 2022
  5. RedFlames

Now catching the highlights...

The circuit really need to do something about the flares or lose the race. That is taking the piss. you can barely see a damn thing.

mrlongbeard likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

Absolutely, add in a cross check on the next few mini sectors on both time and speed achieved to see if an advantage was gained, as well as positionally.

Could also use performance penalties like drs deactivation. The amount of laps it's deactivated for is how many times you've now been over the line, so 1 lap for 1 infraction, 2 laps for 2 etc. Do it 3 times in quick succession and that's 6 laps without drs.

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Also known as a long lap penalty, been a thing in bike racing for a couple or 3 years.

wolfticket likes this.
  8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have to agree, absolutely disgusted that Perez wasn’t slammed for clipping Russell - that could have ended his race.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

??

I was working, so I missed the race, but I thought Russel was adjudged to be the one at fault?

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

Precedent was set when Hamilton punted Albon off a couple of years ago. Perez was 3/4 of a car ahead, Russell should have backed off to avoid contact, but he knew a little tap to Perez's rear with his front had a high chance of him coming out unscathed with Perez off. He claimed in an interview after that "Perez had more grip because he was on the racing line", but only in the breaking area. Once into the corner and on the apex Russell was on the racing line, his path followed sainz ahead almost perfectly, so making no allowance for the car on the left.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I disagree with the steward's verdict, Perez attempted an overtake around the outside (always risky) Russell left more than enough room, but Perez turned in and the collision happened.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Russell was already on the inside, he simply couldn’t disappear. Perez thought he could drive around him and misjudged- he still had nearly another cars width to the left.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2022
  13. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

My take was that both of them had room to maneuver but with Russel being slightly behind he got the penalty. Personally I called it a racing incident but as Perez lost out hard (rather than just say a place) I think a penalty was dolled out. Hard to argue too much against the penalty in either direction imho.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This is what I didn't understand - Perez had plenty of room around the outside to run wider, later we saw overtakes on the same corner round the outside where they went wide onto the kerb and run-off (just about within track limits), he was nowhere near that.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

On balance I blame Perez for that one, turn 4 in Austria is off camber and downhill, the cars all drift/understeer to the outside kerb without exception and every single driver who tries to go round gets hit, has done since forever.

Despite that I think giving anyone a penalty was extremely harsh, the driver trying it round the outside ends up in the gravel or they bail out of it. Giving Russell a penalty when he was on the brakes, turning in at full lock and still slid into Perez was just mean spirited. Same goes for the penalty Gasly got, Vettel chose to put his car on the outside on the corner where everyone slides to outside kerb, he was getting hit the moment he did that.

Verstappen on the other hand bailed out when Leclerc sent it on him, unusually smart for Max.

Agreed, Moto GP's 3 warnings then Long Lap basically solved the problem. They were even driving past the long lap lane at turn 1, F1 should just use them.

yodasarmpit likes this.
  16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yeah its basically an optimistic move from Perez on the outside to claim the corner, plenty saying Perez was in front, of course he was, when you take the out side line you can go on the brakes a bit later than the guys trying to stay on track on the inside in the braking phase, its physics.

yodasarmpit likes this.
  17. RedFlames

I think i could hear LeClerc's scream from here...

Last edited: 24 Jul 2022
    Spraduke likes this.
  18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ferrari whining about an ex mercedes staff members new job in the FIA.

Toto Wolff's ex-Mercedes advisor releases statement after Ferrari suspicions about FIA job (msn.com)

Didn't ex ferrari boss Jean Todt head the FIA for like 12 odd years? and didn't Ross brawn and ex ferrari boss (and Mercedes boss of course) get the Managing Director, Motor Sports and technical director for the Formula One Group.

They didn't have any issues with that.

So basically if you have worked with any team you cant do anything else for anyone else without running the risk of looking biased in decisions.

Kind of sick of them all moaning at each and just another reason I haven't watched a race in well over a year, just check the results and read the stories. Lando and Daniels you tube stints are fun though.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2022
    The_Crapman likes this.
  19. RedFlames

Most of us here remember the 'Ferrari International Assistance.' years.

20. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Exactly