1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I grabbed it on Steam yesterday, but Xbox GamePass only just got it this afternoon, so that's still downloading. Will get on and play when the Expedition goes live probably.

I always make my Freighter my main base these days, so this update is great for me!

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have to admit that now I have my frigate fleet pretty much all at S class I do the same. I have enough ships and control rooms to send out 20 frigates at a time which always leaves a couple back with the freighter just for looks. Although the combat ones are great to have kicking about as "spares" as if they are in the same system as you and you get into a scrap they will come to your aid now and that looks awesome. It means you can have yourself, your (up to) 4 man squadron, any combat frigates that might be kicking about and your freighter (if it is close enough, it doesn't move to the fight like the frigates) all fighting the raiders.

3. Hex

4. Hex

Being that this expedition was so quick and easy, I'll probably do it on Steam too (I wish we had cross-saves), I started it off last night and it turns out my Xbox Expedition got a waaay better start :hehe: Got an S Class Frigate on that one, everything C Class on the PC Expedition.

5. Hex

Almightyrastus likes this.
  6. Hex

'Overhauled Inventories' is a bit :eeek: But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Will probably start a new save now for 4.0. I have a notebook with co-ordinates for all the systems and planets I've set up bases on before anyway so I can settle on some of them again :grin:

7. Almightyrastus

Really looking forward to having a play around with the game mode customisation. That is something that I have wanted for ages as I typically play in very short bursts on Creative mode, don't have the time or inclination to go grinding out stacks of resources, but I do miss the combat, especially the space combat. My main ship is fully capable of taking out most pirates in a couple of shots, but I rarely see them and certainly never get any cargo scans and interceptions.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

started playing again last night bit after 9pm, looked at clock and it was 4am

christ this game steals time

Hex likes this.
  9. Hex

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Will also be available on the Switch next week it seems.

Hex likes this.
  11. Hex

Fractal update is live! With a new Expedition that is also live! The rewards for the expedition do look quite tasty - especially that Vader-esque helmet! looks like Twitch Drops start tomorrow.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Timely thread bump - I've just seen this in the PSVR2 section of the PS store, on sale for £20 too - I was bored to tears last time I tried to play this, but with the updates its had along with full PSVR2 support I might dive back in.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This patch finally pushed me into getting it on Steam (for 50% off = £24.99) - I have no console.

Hex likes this.
  14. Hex

This Expedition seems pretty good. The rewards are nice and it's almost all played out in one system. The 'gimmick'/theme for this one is you can only craft things inside your base. So you have to make one on every planet. It's a fairly quick one to complete so I'll hopefully get it done on both Xbox and Steam before it ends.

15. Mister_Tad

Had a go on this for a bit this evening and I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing, but perhaps that’s the point.

Any pro gamer tips for getting started @Hex ?

16. Hex

Are you playing a regular save or did you just jump straight into the current Expedition [Utopia]? I'd recommend not doing the Expedition immediately, mainly to get used to controls and how the game works as regular saves will guide you through stuff, but Expeditions not so much.

What bit are you most into? Building, survival, exploring, smuggling :worried: Don't try to do everything all at once. There's soooo many ways to play NMS that new players can get easily overwhelmed. You can switch between story-line missions whenever you want or just not even do them at all. If you have a nice planet in the system you start in, try making a little starter base and gathering up materials. Find some friendly locals who may sell you a new multitool or technology. Learn their words, scan creatures, plants & rocks! Let me know what's your jam and I'll tailor my answer a bit more, most importanyl though - have fun! :happy: The combat in NMS isn't great, for me that's not a deal-breaker I just love to explore and build.

Oh and I think it's pretty standard for the game to start you off on a hell planet, just for funsies! There should be a nicer planet in your system when you can take off and don't forget to visit the Space Station!

OH! Big thing, make sure you turn off PvP in the Network options. You can always turn it back on later if you want to, but it can be frustrating, especially when you get to the Anomaly. You have to do that with every new save too. Just check the settings whenever you start one.

17. Hex

Utopia Expedition now completed on Xbox and Steam :clap: Not the best one, but it was easy, short and the rewards are really good! You get the Space Balls helmet and the Speeder ship, which is basically the Golden Vector stats, but it handles better close to the planet surface.

18. Almightyrastus

Yeah, not a bad expedition, nice and straight forward and the new ship is very nice. Been doing my usual to it and outfitting it for max speed and handling and it runs rings around just about anything that I am coming across now. The helmet is a little meh, not my favourite, still going with the Blazing Orbit one along with the armoured suit.

Most of the other rewards are like a lot of the Twitch ones now, kinda nice to have, but not too useful for the way I play.

I would still love to be able to get base and freighter layout blueprints though, I can never seem to make up a base that looks anything more than just something that I put together just to complete a required task. Also, and I am presuming that this is because my settlement is as large as it can get, I am no longer getting any more build missions for the settlement, I have it building up items and happiness just fine now, but it never gets any bigger.

19. Mister_Tad

To generally answer most of your questions - I don't really know.

I started out, chose the "for funsies" settings when presented initially with the options, and went through further settings to reflect my interest in exploration and discovery versus an actual challenge - so that probably answers one of your other questions.

I started on a planet, did some roaming around, adopted some pets, picked up some stuff without knowing what I wanted or why I wanted said stuff. I went to my ship and flew around a bit, picked up a signal that led me to a waypoint, went there to see a thing which left my objective as effectively "keep exploring", which is cool but I'm out of fuel to go do said exploring. So I guess I need to do something about that, but I don't know where the guidance is for doing something about that.

I think part of the problem is the hard-commit to VR, including the menus and everything, so it's a little confusing and presumably in time I'll get to grips with it. Like I'll find out that there's another hidden tool/menu that I never knew about that answers all of my questions because its only accessed by scratching my nether regions with my left hand with the L1 button depressed.

20. Hex

I think the "16" storyline you can choose will take you through hyperdrives and the fuel for that.

As a cyclops I pretty much shun all the VR stuff cos it's useless to me anyway! I have heard NMS VR isn't great because it's all sitting down and so works in spaceships, but people felt a disconnect when running around on planets.

Mister_Tad likes this.