1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The 2012 Beast PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 5 Oct 2020.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

So around a decade ago I embarked on building my first PC with the help of you guys and I went for an LGA 1155 based system with the following specs:

i5 2400
    8GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator
    GTX 670 2GB
    500 (Or 550w forgot!) Modular Coolermaster PSU
    CM Storm II Case

Now...

What would I upgrade to bring it inline with current standards? Would that even be possible? Would I need a whole new system or could I upgrade a component or two...?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

You’ll need pretty much a completely new system. Only parts that doesn’t have much electronics can be kept.

New: CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics card

Can re-use: Case, HDD for storage, might be able to re-use power supply

I had similar 2012 computer: i7 2700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 580 and then 970.
    Recently build the system in my signature. Kept the case, HDD as NAS backup solution. The ageing 550w power supply was not able to support new graphics card so had to be replaced.

Monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse can all be re-used. My monitor is 10 years old and speakers are even older!

maple and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I wouldn't reuse a 8 year old low to mid range PSU. And any HDD wouldn't be trust worthy. So its just the case, and even then it is missing a lot of the nice features of a modern case. I'd basically replace everything.

sdit: Wyx087, you put the HDD in your NAS? :eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek:

maple likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

New system, Ryzen 5000 just around the corner :thumb:

maple likes this.
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You could hypothetically speaking source some compatible parts to upgrade with from ebay...
    But it wouldn't be worth the money or effort.

Also since new Cpus and Gpus are due this very month I'd wait a couple weeks before deciding what to upgrade to.

maple likes this.
  6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Sorry, I meant I'm using it as 4th place to backup NAS data. 1st place NAS itself, 2nd another NAS, 3rd place an external HDD stored at another location.
    Or, data that doesn't require speed, eg. dump videos of my kid eating, so I can capture a single frame of his facial expression to use as emoji in family chat.

My WD Black 1TB is around 11 years old, bought in 2008/2009. The WD Green 1TB is even older. They are both still going very well, the WD Black was my game drive up until recently. So IMHO if they works, they can store data no problem. But as with all data: back up, back up and do more back ups.

Agree with everyone. Wait until end of the month, New Ryzen series coming up, new GPU are being released. End of the year is the best time to build a new computer.

maple likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The failure rate analyst in my is going crazy :p

maple likes this.
  8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My 2012ish rig was a 2600k, 570GTX which I got about 4 months out of because I used my old rig while I was at uni (although to be fair I did get use out of it when I went back home for the holidays). Ended up chucking it out a year or so back, donated parts to someone else.

PSU and case are the only things that sound worth keeping, but if you're going to keep your rig for another 8 years, you might actually save money by upgrading to a newer more efficient one (plus it's bound to die eventually).

maple likes this.
  9. maple

maple Minimodder

So rather than make a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one.

So the PC in the OP... Is this the end of the line?

It currently has the following:

Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 4C 8T
    16GB DDR3
    GTX 1070

Psu was replaced too and storage upgraded to 1TB SSD + the original 240GB SSDs & HDDs. Everything has been replaced apart from the motherboard (1155) Originally in 2010, I had the same board paired with a Celeron G530/4GB/Radeon 5670. The motherboard is the only component to survive.

Can I go any further with this system now or do I have to put together a whole new rig? Or how much longer could I get out of this system? Currently still able to run games fine at 1080 & 1440p depending on title. I've noticed I'm still gpu limited for example in Forza Horizon 4, I also noticed though that I am achieving 10fps less compared with benchmarks from a few websites on Forza Horizon 4. (I get 45 fps 4k max settings whereas online benchmarks show 55fps) Is this due to the CPU? I wouldn't have thought so as the benchmark shows that I am GPU limited rather than CPU limited.

I know it is the end of the line with regards to the Ram & CPU though would I still benefit from a GPU upgrade or would the CPU or ram prove to be a bottleneck?

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

How long do you want a new system to last?
    And what do you use your PC for, just games?
    The 1070 is still a capable card and is likely being held back by the other components.
    You could either go Intel socket 1700 now, new board, 12400F CPU and DDR4/5 for example, or wait a bit, see how the new stuff coming later this year pans out and then ***** your wad on that including a new GPU and then post back in another ten years.

maple likes this.
  11. maple

maple Minimodder

Just the answer I was looking for.

I would love to get a similar amount of time out of the motherboard. Happy to upgrade CPU/GPU/RAM & Storage every few years like I have done provided the motherboard has a solid upgrade path. For example I started with both a dual core CPU & 4GB Ram and later upgraded both twice.

Still I want to go as far as I can with my current system as it still does everything I need and then if I still have the appetite and the money fund a new rig/platform.

I rarely use my PC tbh, I play mainly on consoles as I'm more into retro however there's always a game or two which comes along on PC so it is sort of required.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Given what you have said, I would wait to see what Intel and AMD release later this year and move to the best platform of either.
    Keep the 1070 until a game comes along that you have been waiting for, Starfield for example that the 1070 doesn't quite cope with at the quality settings you are comfortable with and then sell the 1070 and put the proceeds towards whichever is the best GPU for your budget.

maple likes this.
  13. maple

maple Minimodder

The weird thing is with the 1070 is that I used to have a 1060 6GB and that would run Mirrors Edge Catalyst better than the 1070. Apart from that everything else runs better on the 1070.