1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is there an argument for a high end system for 1080p?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 2 Aug 2022.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

As even the best of the best struggle with completely maxing out all settings, ray tracing included at higher resolutions, is there a case for just going with a 1080p system but then getting a 3080Ti or 6900XT and being able to completely max out the settings because of the lower res requirements?

Or is it pointless as less pixels equals poorer quality regardless of all settings maxed?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Well, my question would be: why do you want to max out settings?
    It could be difficult seeing the difference between maxed out and second highest setting. Of course, the answer could be "because I can" and I can accept that. So let's move on to the next questions:

What level of performance do you consider to be struggling?
    Are upscaling technology like DLSS/FSR acceptable for you at higher resolution?

Because you can play modern games with maxed out setting at 4k display resolution, 1080p internal resolution and gain a clearer image than 1080p native monitor. The performance hit with upscaling usually wouldn't put currently best of the best GPU's into struggling territory.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I mean every single setting maxed, including ray tracing and MSAA etc for no other reason than 'you could @ 1080p'
    No upscaling nonsense, no resolution scaling, nothing just native maxed settings.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you have a high end system I don't think there's any there are many reasons not to have a 4k monitor. As part of that sort of system the extra outlay isn't huge, and it gives you have the option to play/use at 4k or 1080 where necessary or as a matter of preference. Even simple upscaling should be fine as the resolution will be exactly 4 to 1.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2022
    wyx087 likes this.
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just pick an appropriate resolution for size of monitor you want, 1080p probably shouldn't be used on anything bgger than a 20" monitor

I'd get the highest resolution you would be comfortable using for your desired screen size and tweak settings should your system not hit your desired framerate, though there is not a lot a 3080Ti can't do even at 4k

Less pixels do generally equally poorer quality due to not enough pixels to resolve detail, but that is dependant on screen size, 1080p is awesome at 5" on a phone, less so at 48" on a monitor.