1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Ray Tracing...Is it a lot of old arse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 31 Jul 2022.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I genuinely cannot see the difference when it is on or off.
    I think I would need the specific game developer to watch me play, say, Cyberbug and say 'stop, pause the game...see that reflection?, that's ray traced'
    (I have a 3050 now but did previously have a 3070 where I could turn the ray traced settings onto a decent level)

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

RT is worthless on a 3050.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Last edited: 31 Jul 2022
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

fixed :D

David likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It looks nice, as you say in still images. In game? it's impossible to notice if you are actually playing the game. Which defeats the purpose really.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I think it's the logical next step. RT global illumination and reflections can be so much better looking and makes lighting feels right But in current hardware, it's not worth it when it affects gameplay.

I turn it on whenever I have performance headroom as I tend to target 50-100 FPS depend on speed of game.

7. David

I barely notice it with a 3090, to be fair, but I've never been one for ambling around and admiring the way light bounces off the pretty backdrops - I'm much more interested in advances in super-sampling technologies like DLSS and FSR, which deliver comparable quality (at a glance) without the performance hit.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i run it every chance i get but a lot people seem to confuse RT with a post processing shader like shadeFX, go play something like Q2 RTX or Control and you'll see how its done right.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Turned it on in The Ascent, couldn't really tell any difference. Just googled some screenshots and the difference is minimal. Generally all I see from screenshots reminds me of when games were introducing bloom (or hdr whatever they called it), and everything was overly bright. Ray tracing feels the same to me when I see it, brights are bright and yet there's almost no light not too far away - I think it was the digital foundry video for dying light 2 that I thought looked daft. Having said that, some of the metro exodus screenshots look alright, but not enough that if i were playing it without RT I'd think it'd look like ****.

Minecraft with RT shows the difference off nicely, however you can see the lighting is slow. As you flip round from one bit to another you can see it generate the light. Maybe that's how MC does it, but since AFAIK they worked with Nvidia to get it to work it should work well. It's pretty, and does look fairly cool but eventually the fact that I can see the pop in of the lighting ends up bugging me enough to just turn it off. And after all that is said, the performance hit isn't nice.

@Gunsmith mentions Q2 RTX or Control as it being done right, having played neither of these, maybe there's also an element of devs getting used to RT, but considering it's based on physics I wouldn't have thought there was anything to 'get used to'. :oldconfused:

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Wouldn't it be new arse?

MLyons likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends how old you are: the core concept comes from Albrecht Dürer's Four Books on Measurement, published in the 16th century; first time a computer managed to do it was in 1968, under Arthur Appel's control.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a game where ray tracing matters. Sure, we've got games where it makes things (arguably) prettier, but it has zero effect on the game. Show me a game where you have to illuminate a distant target using a laser by bouncing it off different reflective surfaces and said surfaces reflect the light realistically via ray tracing. Now that'd be interesting.

In the meantime, there's always Deflektor...

upload_2022-8-1_17-6-17.png

boiled_elephant likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Not in my case…

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i have a a 3080 and never use it. I find it give bad side effects

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ocarina of time has that too
    [​IMG]

wolfticket and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

To me, raytracing is pointless at best, and a worse gaming experience at worst, unless there's an extremely detailed environment to back it up.

The reference to Control & Q2, both to me look like a relatively low detail game where the developers went over everything with a rotary polisher. Like an uncanny valley but for environments. What's the point in "adding realism" when characters are made up of 12 polygons?

16. David

RT Q2 is cartoonish at best, and Control looks good with or without RT. The push to continue down that path is obvious and, like T&L, it will eventually become a staple and not a hyped frill. I won't really care strongly about it, one way or the other, until I see examples of marked visual degradation without it. As it stands, we're a long way off that.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

T&L?

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

loftie likes this.
  19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

i think RTRT is more in the line of what Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering was early on.

Nice to have.
    You kinda notice when its not there
    ...it was also the first thing you turned off to get your frame rate up bc of how it kneecapped performance.

wyx087 likes this.
  20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I bought Control at launch to try out my 2070 Super. I hated the artefacts that DLSS introduced and it was unplayable without it. Ended up chucking my 1080Ti back in and running through the game (which I enjoyed), and folding on the 2070S. Frame rate was better on the Ti as well.