1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless dropping constantly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adam_bagpuss, 18 Jul 2022.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

hi all,

Havent really kept with up with knowledge over the last decade so im looking for some advice on a wireless issue im having. the Wi-fi drops constantly and im not sure why? Ill explain my setup and then hopefully someone can advise some steps to try.

1. Virgin hub in modem mode connected to Asus AC-1200 wifi router.
    2. almost everything is hardwired through several switches around the house.
    3. Wifi is 2.4Ghz from the Asus router - connected to mainly 2 phones, a smart TV about 2m from router.
    4. Access point downstairs (netgear EX6120) (same wifi SSID and PW) - netgear advises not to do this but not sure on the best setup?

So the problem comes mainly from phones where the wif-fi just hangs then usually drops. it happens all the time and doesn't have to be when moving from upstaris to downstairs etc.

to resolve i usually have to discconect wi-fi then reconnect and works ok for a bit.

Any ideas ?

thanks in advance.

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

This sounds a likely culprit. These extenders usually add _EXT on the end of the relevant SSIDs, they act as a bridge rather than a mesh access point, where you'd connect to myssid_ext when you can't get signal on myssid. Try changing the SSID on the EX6120 and see if you still get the dropouts.

3. adam_bagpuss

yeah ill give it a go. problem then is phones never switch to the best wi-fi avaliable. they will hold on to upstairs unless you change it most of the time

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Also check what channels the main wifi and the AP are using - it could be that they're interfering with each other.

5. adam_bagpuss

seems to be ok but pain now as phones cling on to wi-fi when signal is crap and dont move to the other stronger one. Im guessing this can only be resolved with mesh ?

6. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

If it's just phones you could try a WiFi switcher app.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

you could try turn down signal strength

8. adam_bagpuss

ah thats a good idea on signal strength. Ill give that a tweak

9. adam_bagpuss

ok bit of an update. Still seem to have issues of hanging or network drop from wifi. I cant change power settings on either the adapter or main router. I have also dropped 2.4ghz and changed it to 5ghz in an an attempt to fix but still not right.

im at a loss now :(

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sounds like you need more modern gear with better hand off, like a mesh approach.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I spent too long trying to get handoffs to work properly when needed. In the end I just bought a couple of Asus Zen WiFi AP's and connected to my AC86 in mesh mode (wired backhaul) and have never had a problem since, it was the most cost effective solution.

12. adam_bagpuss

hmm to be fair its been in for a while. the router must be 5-7 years old and it wasnt even a good model.

hmm what am i looking for then in this setup. house is a 4 bed semi from around 1934 with extension and Steel in it. open plan downstairs.

1. upstairs (front) has broadband connection in my office (TV connected via wifi in this office)
    2. downstairs (front) has hardwire point.
    3. Kitchen (rear) has hardwire point (currently attached to netgear EX6120) with an Echo connected.
    4. living room has a hardware connection and switch for the TV, Pi, Sonos connected.

wi-fi is used by 2 laptops and 2 phones.

thats about it i think :)

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Do you have CAT5 or 6 in the house or would you be using WiFi for backhaul between the router and AP's?

If the hardwire you mention is CAT5 or 6, then the easiest would be a mesh system.

A 3 pack of Zen WiFi AC Mini CD6 AP's is £160 on Scan (haven't looked elsewhere). Does your router do Asus mesh?

You could run the router in your office with the 3 AP's hardwired in the house, should give you full coverage.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2022
  14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You'd probably just ditch the old 1200 wouldn't you once you have these satellites as one of the satellites becomes the router?

Sounds like you are perfectly setup to use cheaper dual band gear if everywhere else is wired.

15. adam_bagpuss

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That is the exact setup @Fingers66 mentioned.

Far as I understand you can use one as your router and have the satellites directly wired to that, I have a similar setup at home (different brand) and wifi handoff issues are a thing of the past.

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I use two ZenWiFi units in conjunction with my AC86 as the router but one of the ZenWiFi units can act as a router as well as an AP.

18. adam_bagpuss

thanks all.

Ive ordered the Zen units. Just sick of drops or my devices not switching over. Got the 3 pack as i may need a 3rd in the playroom at the front downstairs. buying the 2 pack then adding a 3rd later was about £50 more overall so seemed worth it

Arboreal likes this.
  19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

20. adam_bagpuss

ok so everything is setup. Started pretty smooth but then 1 of the nodes then decided it wasn't connecting and restarting and resetting seemed to do nothing. Updated the firmware on the router and 1 of the nodes. hardwired the not connecting node direcly in to the router and reset it. Seemed to work and updated firmware. All setup in the correct places now and wi-fi has dropped once yet.