1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Gaming PC, but Every Fan is a Delta

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 8 Aug 2022.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've had this idea for a while but have never taken steps to make it a reality... until now. The idea is simple: every fan in the PC (barring the PSU fan) is a Delta, and if possible a really loud one that can also run relatively quietly.

I'm sure everyone's seen the LTT video of that fan - the ridiculous 11,000rpm 92mm jobbie. Well, there are three of them in this "build". Here's the comprehensive list:

Front Intake: 2x GFB1212VHG
    Top Exhaust: 3x PFR0912XHE
    CPU & Rear Exhaust: PFC1212DE (4.8A version)
    GPU: 2x AFB1212SH - very similar to Noctua iPPC fans, but more powerful

The total (max) power draw from this roster of fans is around 360W, so I will be installing a Corsair RM850x to replace the existing RM550.

This evening I spent just a little time doing a dry fit for all the fans. I had to get creative with the 92mm fans at the top because there are no suitable mounting holes, and I don't want to make this a destructive project (it's not a mod... at least not yet). So I've used these funky little HDD grommets to isolate the fans from the grate, and it's actually worked really well. Only two screws per fan, but that's plenty as they will rarely be run at full pelt. The other case fans will also be mounted with screws. I'll solve any vibration problems down the line as and when (if) I encounter them.

The PDB is a very simple DIY doodah that routes power from an 8-pin CPU power cable directly to the fans. The on/off control is done by relays which are controlled by mini latching push switches. PWM control will be manual... I have the hardware for eight individual channels, but probably not the sanity to solder up that many individual control boards, so for the time being I will use my existing five-channel control unit.

I bid you all au revoir with some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

xxxsonic1971 and Cheapskate like this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think i can hear that picture from here.

spolsh, Vault-Tec and LennyRhys like this.
  3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I used to rock one of these () in my early gaming PC connected to a fan controller. Turned right down for normal gaming but when at LAN or other hot days turn it up to max to dump all the hot air out of the case in 10s!

I sent this to someone at bit-tech as they had a plan for it but can't remember who and what they did (if anything) with it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

One word madness :thumb:

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think it's safe to say you won't be doing any on-the-fly maintenance with the system running. Wait, is blood electrically conductive? :lol:

LennyRhys likes this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So, how much does it cost to run just those fans? :p £4 a day by my calcutions :p

My prediction, this will be hellishly loud that even your neibours complain and you'll get a 20% cooling boost :p

LennyRhys and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Given your statement that this will be a gaming rig, I think you may be seriously overestimating the effectiveness of noise-cancelling headphones.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Just had another look at the pictures. Methinks, better make sure that CPU cooler is firmly mounted.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

One suggestion: Strap it down.
    I have fond memories of Langer feeding the 120mm version a carrot.
    You need to find some of those 3-bladed 80mm devils they made for the full annoyance experience.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Is there an air only division of competitive overclocking?

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@wolfticket I was in the UK top ten "enthusiast" (non-extreme cooling) for a while on hwbot, and a big part of that was the Deltas lol.

I made really good progress today and now have everything hooked up and working like a charm. I thought it would be a pain to swap out the old PSU and put in the new one, but it was a total cinch.

Here are more pics of the "virtually completed" build. It doesn't look like much from the front, and round the back I have a switch panel for all the fans and another panel for speed control. The other side of the PC is where all the mess is, but everything is modular so it's easy enough to unplug stuff if needs be. I'm very pleased with how well the 8-pin CPU power connector has worked for this project.

And for those of you commenting on noise, yes it's hella loud, and I'm actually going to make a video showing power draw before and after fans being turned on - I'm somewhat curious myself. In saying that, most of the time the only fans running will be CPU and GPU, and I'll put the others on if I'm gaming (or want to go into orbit).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wyx087 and wolfticket like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

If you are going to make a video, I think we should hear what it sounds like with all fans at full reheat!

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

As promised, here's the "cold start" with all fans set to 100%. The 92mm fans take a while to reach their top speed of over 10K rpm and they are obnoxiously loud.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

That's ridiculous!

LennyRhys likes this.
  16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

That is utterly brilliant

LennyRhys likes this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is absolutely bonkers and I love it.

LennyRhys likes this.