1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have some of their shelving units up in the loft/attic, considering their price they're not rickety and can hold a bit on them.

One has my pc on its lower shelf behind the desk (was a 'temporary' thing, erm, a couple or so years ago) and there's surprisingly no vibration or worry about it falling off.

I feel like I could stand on one.... Ain't gonna try it though.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

New stripper

[​IMG]

LennyRhys and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A folding laptop stand - So I can slide my drink and dice under my laptop when TTRPG-ing at my friend's house.
    [​IMG]

Under-desk mount USB 3.0 hub for the new desk I'm building

[​IMG]

4. adidan

Pics!!!!

I'm coming to the conclusion that the right angled desk with deep corner that would fit perfectly in my attic just isn't out there and I could have probably built one by now.

I need a starting point though. I also need to build two basic but nice armchair frames for some ultra comfy cushions we salvaged when we dumped our old two seater sofas.

Had a quick look on YT but get lost in watching 100 year old Japanese guys making gorgeous wood only joints.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Cancel the order, return them, they are inadequate. You need a pair of KNIPEX 12 42 195 in your life. Honestly, I thought how could they be any different? The experience of using them is evangelical.
    [​IMG]

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Who would figure, £100 wire strippers are better than £15 wire strippers. Well I'll be.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If they have maintained their old standards, CK tools are very good quality. I have set of, well used, CK allen keys, good ones with a ball-end, that I have owned for around 35 years and, they have no noticeable wear on them. I don't know if they are still that good though.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's just this laminated bamboo desktop stretched across the traditional pair of white Ikea Alex drawer units.
    I think I'll have to add some legs or shelf brackets to support the back edge though, especially if I want to arm-mount the Samsung G9 Odyssey Neo I got on Prime Day.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2022
    adidan likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

These:

[​IMG]

Turns out my old Labtec subwoofer isn't quite compatible with the new speakers, in that the new speakers expect you to have a subwoofer with an independent volume control - but the Labtec takes its cue from the control on the satellites. Hence the reason my fillings were still rattling with the bass control right the way down.

Those are volume controls for headphones, but they've done the trick: stuck one inline on the sub-out cable, dialled it down, played music, dialled it up to a nice level. Things sound absolutely great now, and I get to keep at least part of my Labtec set running - and save myself about £120 in the process.

Win!

spolsh and IanW like this.
  10. The_Crapman

I'm not doubting the quality of the tool, more the inadequate mechanism that that style of strippers uses. The knipex ones just work, every single time, without fuss, without hesitation. They just build a little pressure, build a little pressure, then pop! you're almost surprised it's happened, but it's done and it's clean.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

They're fine for automotive work which doesn't require home twin and earth type gauges of wire.
    For everything else there's knives and / or teeth

12. Mister_Tad

It's like my mate that just got an Octavia. I'm like, what the hell dude, cancel that order now, an S-Class is so much better in every way - nicer to live with, so much more comfortable, all the features. Definitely better than your Octavia with no other downsides or caveats whatsoever no siree.

13. adidan

Ah ha.

Not sure how my brain works, id just been thinking buy it or make it. I may find an easier solution buying and making it, putting together premade bits like yourself to make what I need.

IanW likes this.
  14. The_Crapman

Are you on crack or do you just like writing things that have no relevance?

15. adidan

What odds do I get for both? :happy:

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Mister_Tad

I simply repeated your "Cancel the order, return them, they are inadequate. You need a <thing that is literally 6-7x the cost> in your life"

I thought, "hey, I wouldn't mind some nice wire strippers too", having been just "getting by" with whatever was a tenner on Amazon at the time, looked them up and did an involuntary squeak on seeing the price tag. I'd expect them to do a lot more stripping than just wires for £90-100

17. The_Crapman

I got mine for £40 on eBay, looks like the listing I bought mine from has snuck the price up to £45. So, you could just try shopping round a bit. I'd hate to see your outgoings if you just buy everything at the first rate you get offered.

This isn't a case of "the cheaper ones do the job fine, why spend more?" Those style of wire strippers of the CK model are a pain in the arse. They don't work consistently, they don't like certain types of wire jacket, they'll often cut a few strands of core off, they're naff. The knipex ones are just leagues ahead. As someone who has owned both types, is the extra £20 worth it? Absolutely. For added time and annoyance cheaper ones cause, it is absolutely worth every single penny.

So to use your analogy, would you pay £20 for a car with no power steering, that might work sometimes, but you might get in and turn the key and it won't work, or sometimes it will start but conk out halfway through your journey, or the brakes will fail, the throttle jams and the ignition won't turn off and you end up significantly overshooting your destination. Or would you rather pay £45 for a car that's as reliable as the sunrise, comfortable and effortless to drive?

Maybe don't immediately jump to dicksplash response if you haven't had any personal experience.

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Ok, look. I keep up pretty well with UK slang, but Imma need an explanation for dicksplash. This sounds like something that needs to be in my vocabulary.

19. Mister_Tad

It's a derogatory term. He's upset y'see.

Goodness me! Sensitive... Are you new around here?

I have a Knipex RJ45 crimper so well aware of how much nicer they are than what I was using, and also how much more expensive it was than what I was using before. I've even recommended it to others here, though with the caveat "it's expensive, but wow is it nice to use". I also didn't buy anything, simply selected text and searched, and looked at the first few hits to know that no, I don't want a better stripper all that badly and even knowing what Knipex tools generally cost I was still floored by the RRP and Amazon's listed price. (though not so much as the £200+ IIRC ferrule crimper that I stumbled on recently)

My analogy was meant in jest, because regardless of the accuracy of the comparison it was still several orders of magnitude off, so entirely irrelevant.

So dickspash comment was primarily founded in "good grief that was more than even I who has experience with Knipex and a generally high tolerance for expensive tools expected and then some" combined with "sheesh I'm not really sure I can justify that, as good as I'm sure they are" and also knowing that the CK one as well as the low cost one I'm using is mainly fine to use, rather than intended as a personal attack. But all that seemed like it was a bit long-winded to type out. So dicksplash it was.

Seriously though, this is a friendly community, not Reddit. I'd generally say gentle ribbings are usually pretty safe to assume they're just banter and not a personal attack, mine certainly was.

20. The_Crapman

Sorry, I see that now. I am a bit on edge at the minute. Body parts spontaneously combusting at every opportunity, camera going up the exit Saturday, no idea what's going to come of that, medical report for legal case well overdue and exceptionally pivotal, house in chaos, haven't started anything with the mod comp a month in, besides half rectifying a shed that's costing as much as an MP's second home, brain fried, whits ended 6months ago, and being a total total total smegging dicksplash.

I'm just going to go crawl into a corner somewhere and whimper for a bit.

Sorry @Mister_Tad and anyone who happened to witness this mess.

LennyRhys, Arboreal, Isitari and 2 others like this.