1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just won a signed copy of my author friend's latest spy thriller in a "follow/like/retweet" contest on twitter! :p

[​IMG]

Isitari and adidan like this.
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hugely relieved and very proud that my daughter has done well with her A levels. We feared for her grades with the new marking scheme and absence from school.
    She has secured a place on a foundation year at Italia Conti to study Musical Theatre after a lot of pain and effort auditioning at a number of renowned drama colleges.
    I'm relieved because she has had terrible recurring tonsillitis this last year, and was off school over a month between November and April with tonsillitis and latterly glandular fever.
    The NHS don't want to look at it, even though she's been hospitalised 3 times dehydrated as she could barely drink some days, let alone swallow lots of tablets.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had my tonsils out at a very advanced age - closer to 30 than 20, if I recall correctly - through the simple method of refusing to leave my GP's office until he gave me a referral for a tonsillectomy. He wasn't happy, but it got done and I haven't had a problem since.

Disappointed that they moved away from giving you ice cream as your post-surgery meal, though: I was given a corned beef sandwich on dry wholemeal bread...

Arboreal likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Those two often go hand in hand.

I still have my tonsils too, even though back in the day at some points I'd try and drink water and it would just come out my nose.

Hope she recovers fully from it all.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Probably at your GP's request :hehe:

6. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Augh I'm a klutzbrain sometimes. My second HRT anniversary was on wednesday... I'll celebrate by cracking open one Daura (maybe more) once I've dealt with this client of mine

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Went to the dealership to decline gap insurance on my new car, and they told me that the order books opened today! :clap:
    My order is now with MG Central, and quite possibly already on a ship en route to the UK! :rock:

I've now seen the "Holborn Blue" colour I ordered IRL, and it mostly reminds me of what Polestar used when they were just Volvo's racey-boi department :D

MG's "Holborn Blue"
    [​IMG]

Polestar's "Rebel Blue" (Thanks for the correction, @Mister_Tad :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Car I've ordered - MG4 Trophy Long Range (This is a render)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Aug 2022
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Has your radio money been well and truly depleted now?

adidan likes this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

"Rebel Blue"

I had my Polestar in white, because I just thought the blue was a bit OTT. I was wrong.

Which is probably why I've ended up with nearly the same Blue on my Porsche now. It was clearly the right thing to do I just didn't realise it in 2015.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Nope. :D

adidan and David like this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

According to my OH who entered the same competition, @IanW is still spending our money.

IanW and David like this.
  12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We have hot water again!!!! It has been over a month of having to boil the kettle to wash the dishes... The hot water is now at mains pressure too which is awesome, no longer the warm anaemic dribble from the hot tank.

And we have a fully working (and upgraded) toilet flush upstairs again, that has been playing up a little over the past 6 months or so and finally gave up completely yesterday (back to good old camp style flushing with a bucket...)

And and and... no more gas leakage!! Seem to have slightly higher gas pressure at the cooker now (might be a placebo thing).

Just need to do the paying thing now, not too scary though, boiler swap and installation with Nest thermostat, gas pipe rerouting around the back including isolating the leaking section and plumbing in the cooker, and sorting the toilet flush out - 3 days work with 2 guys and everything done absolutely to the book - just under £3k. Quite happy with that, and we now have a very reliable and semi tame (he is from Yorkshire after all...) plumber. Proper happy.

Goatee, IanW, Isitari and 3 others like this.
  13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

^This SO much...

I had lots of Richard Scarry books as a kid which I loved. One of the cat children has their tonsils out and was given ice cream.
    I had my sonsils out aged 5 and was horrified to be confronted with a bowl of cornflakes the next morning; at least they's soften with soaking.
    Choking down a corned beef sandwich on dry wholemeal bread must have been an ordeal

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Bought a pair of chinos from Aesparel in May, finally had a chance to wear them on a business trip (working from home means I usually don't wear anything but sport pants/shorts). Returned home from said business trip, put the chinos in the washing machine, took them out, discoloration all over the pants. Looks like somebody threw paint at them. I washed only the pants to make sure they don't dye my other clothes, so it can't be that.

Sent an email to their customer service with a picture and within 24h I got an "order confirmation" for a new pair of chinos, same colour, same size, for the grand total of 0 Euros. A day later I got an email from them saying "strange, never seen before, we're proud of our quality, sending you a free replacement, please keep the other one".

That's what I call customer service.

IanW likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It weren't fun, but apparently they go for scratchy-rough foodstuffs now 'cos it helps scour your throat and clear out any crap left over from the surgery.

It was a while before I tackled it, though: I've had a fair few general anaesthetics in my life, and I've always been proper sick for a day or three afterwards. This time around, like always, I was feeling rough so they jabbed me with an anti-emetic. About half an hour later I suddenly felt worse... and projectile-vomited a torrent of blood all over the nice white bedsheets. Neck to feet, total coverage. Like something out of the Exorcist.

I pressed the call button and did my best apologetic face at the nurse who arrived on the scene, who cleaned me up and changed the sheets... but I'll be damned if I didn't feel better afterwards. Was eating the sandwich about half an hour after that.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's a nice blue, I was in a MG dealer this week and saw that on a HS, in an annoying situation where we've had our car written off on holiday last week and despite numerous cars on order I can't seem to get anything now so were just looking at something cheap for a while, missus saw these HS and said she liked 'em, figured we could try one of these for x amount of months to tide us over as they are available and can tow the van at least (no one really seems to know when our new cars will arrive :rollingeyes: ) should work out cheaper than renting something, assuming after the delay even if a car arrives early next year, we might wait till March for plate change.

Nice enough car, engineering on the MG HS PHEV is not quite up there with the rest, but its cheap and a lot of kit, felt reasonably well built and missus liked it more than the Kia but perhaps as its more SUV than normal car what she prefers, just stuff like the Infotainment and EV gear transition a bit laughable, as is the transition from regen to real brakes, definitely needs some more work.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2022
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Colonoscopy went well this morning. Everything looks fine bar the odd hemorrhoid, which they tried to treat while they were in there. Just got to wait for the results of the CT scan to be sure, but looks positive.

Also apparently the stuff I had to take last night - movieprep - is completely different from Picolax and way less explosive in its expulsion, but far more horrid to consume.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Soooo... worse going in, better coming out? Eeesh.

adidan likes this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pretty much. Like that cheap runny ketchup from shitty burger vans. But stale. And with a sprinkle of beef oxo. It had a thick glycerin-esque consistency which made it difficult to drink, but you had to drink so much. A litre in an hour, followed by a litre of water in the next hour. Then you get an hour's break, most of which you're on the toilet for, before repeating the drinking marathon

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's funny how it sounds insurmountable but I'll happily go to the pub and tan six pints in ninety minutes :hehe:

Anyway, it sounds like you nailed it so fair play :thumb:

The_Crapman likes this.