1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD and VR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adidan, 22 Aug 2022.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Tis what I think I shall do. I can wait a few more weeks to try and snag a bargain.

Considering the, when I actually look at it, the extra power draw of a 6800XT or 3080 (ideally 12gb) is going to make shite all difference in the grand scheme of things (even with the look at a plug and we're going to charge you a fiver for even thinking of using electricity) and I'll just jump when I see something tasty.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Buying just before a launch is risky. That is why I am saying hold on and get what was a top tier card. Because by the time the equivalent releases and you can have it (say a 4070)? it will be ages. And it will cost around the same. During the panic of the 3070 I bought a 2080Ti with a water block for £480. Which now turned out to be the better buy than the 3070, because of the VRAM.

AMD has an automatic undervolting button. Which is good, because I really couldn't be assed to spend hours making curves etc.

End of the day buddy its all about value. And right now? AMD are far better value. They weren't IMO, because they were over charging for their high end cards IMO (because as I said in another thread they do have less features and were every bit as expensive which was taking the pee) but right now with recent price cuts they are now where they should have been at launch. Cheaper, because less should cost less in features terms.

In raster terms? they are faster. My 6800XT easily beats the 3090 in PUBG, which was my 99.9% use case scenario, so paying much more for features I wouldn't use was daft. In the very small handful of RT titles we have? my 2080Tis are more than good enough to be able to use it.

adidan likes this.
  3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Can't you wait and buy after new generation has been announced? You'll then have a good idea what level of price/performance has shifted and make an informed decision, knowing how the product you've bought fits in the new generation.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

Oh I'm waiting till I find value to be sure and hopefully there'll be more info on next gen in the coming weeks.

Am I waiting until a possible November release? Not sure, doubtful, although I think things will be a bit clearer before then. Hopefully there'll be aggressive prerelease price reductions (fingers and toes crossed) as many GPUs are still equal or above a two year old MSRP.

If a 4070 comes out for £500 in September/October (unlikely and unlikely) that'd no doubt be the go to (or RX equivalent).

wyx087 likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

That wouldn't be a terrible idea. However, it can be dodgy.

From what I have heard? the 4070Ti should perform as good as the 3090Ti. Rumours, of course. That does not surprise me, given -

Ampere is crap. As much as people loved it I still think it was poor because of Samsung and etc.

Any way, moving on. The 4070Ti firstly will not launch "at launch". Neither will the 4070. They never do. What you will likely see is the 4090 and 4080, at their "RRP" (cough bollocks cough cough) and then massively jacked up prices on third party cards. They will also be far more expensive than Ampere "was" if it ever "was" because as we know the prices turned out to be from the back end of a male cow. TSMC will not give them a discount, and they would have paid out of the ass to return to them. Nvidia have their 60% law, and apparently are not flexible with it, hence why their cards are now standing out alone as looking far too expensive.

What you may see upon their ******** speech is very cheap second hand cards. People all in a panic, gotta have the latest thing innit. That will soon settle though.

And the problem with that? it's all waiting isn't it? like more time you could just be enjoying your new card.

I paid £728 for my 6800XT. Too much? no idea. Time I bought the cheapest one at £600 and put a water loop on it? would have cost me more than what the cheapest one does now. I had no choice, my case does not accept air cooling of any sort, and at £400 for the case I didn't fancy replacing it with something inferior. I am happy with what I bought, and have already put a few hundred hours on it. AMD haven't even mentioned their next card yet, and anything coming out of Nvidia is not, it's coming out of some hopeful's arse.

I have heard that Nvidia are delaying it, which seems to be holding true, as the only thing sagging ATM is shelves full of their cards that no one wants to buy.

Like said, in reality by the time you get something out of either company for £600 that will outperform what you can get for £600 now? will be at least a year IMO. By which time you could have been happily making gaming babies for a year instead of sitting there waiting.

BTW going back to pricing? expect Turing only worse, as Nvidia have to cool that 500w+ monster with their $150 to make coolers. And then absolutely a new PSU, because at least with big Navi it doesn't specifically need one if you had a half decent one and etc etc.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You've got me all wrong, your mind is taking this places it doesn't need to go, I'm a long time AMD owner as well as Nvidia, I don't care about the brand, just what is good for my money and use case.

I questioned whether you actually need the VRAM, AMD has had the VRAM superiority for a long time by a significant margin yet when I look at benchmarks for cards at 4k where VRAM might come into play the drop in performance on AMD is significantly higher than VRAM limited Nvidia cards, nothing seems to back up the statement that you should obsess on the VRAM.

As you love techspot I shall use the same site, all 6800s have 16GB and perform lovely @ 1440p, you have 3080s with 10 and 12Gb

[​IMG]

Jump up to 4k, surely the VRAM constrained NVidia cards should drop like a stone, but no the 6800s with superior VRAM do concede to the 10Gb 3080.

[​IMG]

Its been this way for some time and was one of the reasons that I chose the 3080 as I only use 4k, it is either Nvidias architecture or their drivers that are strong here or something wrong with AMD architecture, I don't know, but as yet, I haven't felt there is a game that needs extra VRAM even at 4k.

As for Doom E and 2080, don't know but again techspot on same settings does nothing to suggest the 16gb does better than the 10Gb as resolution increases and a 2080Ti has 1 more Gb, so as mentioned something else going on there.

[​IMG]

Byron C likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That was the same article I found. Even that isn't apples-for-apples since the the 3080 12GB has higher memory bandwidth than the 3080 10GB, so even within that same GPU model you can't truly isolate the effects of simply having more VRAM. There are always other factors to consider.

8. veato

veato I should be working

RX 6900 XT GAMING OC 16GB for £743.47 on Amazon. I'd have been tempted myself but I'd likely need a new PSU. And a bigger case to squeeze it in.

...and maybe a quicker CPU

....ok another 16GB RAM

.....Also my motherboard and SSD getting on a bit now

:lol:

adidan likes this.
  9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Good price

10. Vault-Tec

It's not bad. Sapphire OC was £728 on OCUK last week. That one sounds like the plastic fantastic Gigabyte card to me.

I still wouldn't pay that for a 6900XT. The 6800XT costs £150 less, and if you overclock it is every bit as good really. That said you don't really want to overclock either. They get very angry very quickly LOL. And FFS no matter how much you are tempted do not click the "RAGE MODE" button. Jesus. It just shoved mine full of volts. I could literally smell the heat :D

11. Vault-Tec

adidan likes this.
  12. adidan

I mean you know that will never end well :happy:

13. Vault-Tec

I thought it would, in the very least, overclock the card beyond 2450. Nope. Just shoved it full of volts LOL. madness really. I just hit the undervolt now. Still does 2450 easy.

I did try manual overclocking, and got to 2800mhz, but it either wasn't stable or it was just too much for my ribbon connector. Which is 70cm Lian Li PCIE3. To replace with a gen 4? about £200. So I just put it back to stock. Didn't seem to offer anything much in terms of performance either.

14. Vault-Tec

15. adidan

16. Vault-Tec

Under volt under clock. It should scale quite well.

17. adidan

True but then it's also several hundred quid more. That's at least a day's worth of energy bills by this time next year :lol::worried::waah::hehe:

wyx087 likes this.
  18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Restrict yourself for budget reasons sure but ignore the power side of things if you want something to last you, you can always cap power both main GPU houses put all the tools in their drivers to control this.

There will be titles where you will want to open the taps though even if it is only for a few hours.

I guess these low prices are because the next generation is on the way.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. adidan

True enough but at 1440p the taps can be fully opened at the moment and I'm still running a bit behind on titles (have yet to buy CB 2077 for example) but I take the longevity point.

Then again the difference in power does consumption only equate to pence a day even at inflated energy prices.

I do have a tendency to overthink things, I should just stick to around what I want to spend and grab a value buy when I see one.

I still think there's room for prices to drop, many are still around MSRP a couple of years later.

20. Vault-Tec

The 6800 non XT, IMO, was a poor card. I suppose it depends on the price really.

From what I am hearing Navi 3 could be AMDs Maxwell moment. They've reduced the infinity cache and optimised it packing in in well enough to drastically reduce die size and thus price.

Could be a chicken dinner tbh.

That said I do not expect any of their £400 or so cards to come anywhere close to stuff like this, and they always take an age to materialize.

Still don't regret my XT, as water cooling is still expensive lol.