1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

They have sommat in place now about minimum GW plastic content for you to game at a GW store or official tournament. But yeah, years ago we would build all sorts of things from any kits that we could get our hands on. I built a load of mad guard vehicles by kitbashing GW kits and Tamiya 1/35 stuff. Almost got it featured in White Dwarf as well. Wouldn't happen now, especially if you can easily tell that other company's models have been used.

And by "weird landspeeder" I take it you mean the good old deodorant stick and plastic spoon jobbie?

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Movement still was important as all the objectives were in the middle of the map. it was VERY crowded at that end of the board, but much less so up at my end, unfrortunatly the Aquila shrine, sandy black building and the large bunker between me and the Unpainted Resin Typhon really cut the table in half. we really could of used an extra 6x4 table length wise on this one ( originally we were going to have an extra pair of tables on the left, but it was quickly realised there would be a fairly large zone in the middle of the board where players cant reach, negating much of the added space

As for 3rd party bits its a VERY mixed bag, depending on store, owner, day of the week, moon cycles and position of healing crystals it seems, with Some stores allowing full 3rd party models and even the occasional non GW game being played, while on Some discords there are stories of people being asked to LEAVE a Games workshop store, because they wanted to play BFG...which the player purchased IN THAT VERY STORE, likely before the store owner could walk, we decided to play it safe as there was a Tournament on the day of the battle ( which was a mistake on our part as it meant we spent the better part of the day having to shout across the table ) but since GW went Corperate, their entire attitude towards player made and 3rd party stuff has changed DRASTICALLY, gone are the days of scratch built anything appearing in WD and many tentative jokes have been made on 40k Discord about re-creating some of the featured scratchbuilds from early WD and take them to Warhammer world and see what they say

It was a close game, unfortunately it only managed to go 3 turns despite trying to make the game go faster by having simultaneous movement and shooting, and only removing casualties at the end of the phase ( this was done to try to speed up the game, and also to balance out the awful balance Apoc tends to have )
    it was a narrow Xenos victory, partially because i was able to keep the enemy off the Objective on the 'north' IE closer to the camera in the image objective ( we were only playing Capture Objective as we were trying to keep the game as simple as possible )
    if we were to play it again, we would make a few changes mainly
    play on a day with no tournament - this would speed up the game by removing the need to just shout across the table as much and also speed up needing to wait 40+ mins for food

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

:worried:

[​IMG]

I remember seeing this in the actual book/codex it was originally seen in, 25 years ago.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Has anyone played Battle Sister on VR? Recommended? 30% off on Oculus store at the moment.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I might take the plunge unless anyone has anything horrendously bad to say about it...

6. lilgoth89

with all the Guard leaks ive been resurrecting some old projects lying around

[​IMG]
    one Baby Tank ( counts as Sentinel or maybe heavy weapons team )

[​IMG]
    a Big boi Tank, Leman Russ / Malcador

[​IMG]
    Current work in progress, Bridge Tank

7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

They're some pretty epic models!

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Do you sell the STLs when you're done? Pretty sure they'd be popular, they look great.

I've been quiet on the model front lately, because this fellow has been occupying my modelling time;

[​IMG]

But he's nearly done model wise and I spotted some models on ebay I might have a want to finish, so should be back to warhammer stuff soon

9. Almightyrastus

Ooo, shiny shiny.

I have managed to pick up a few new bits and pieces including one of the event special Space Marine Champions that I grabbed from WHW the day before Golden Demon happened. Hopefully my Warhammer day model will be arriving soon, pre ordered it, was released last Saturday and I am still waiting, I'm only down the road ffs, I could have driven past on my way home from work and grabbed it.

10. lilgoth89

i dont sell them, because i use quite alot of other peoples models to make my models and selling Remixed models is a really douchey move in the 3d printing community, especially if its a paid file to start with

[​IMG]
    Made a Lascannon, Autocannon and Missile launcher Variants

[​IMG]
    Also Because GW wouldnt sell me Bastion kits anymore, i printed my own

[​IMG]
    Purchased this kit incomplete, had to design and print a backpack, but he came out ok and during the battle at WHW nobody noticed

but then they didnt say anything about this either
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Oct 2022
    Almightyrastus, liratheal and Pete J like this.
  11. Almightyrastus

Not best pleased with GW right now. Ordered the Warhammer day mini on the 8th of October, the day that it went onto pre-order. Sitting here today, the 24th, thinking that it is strange that I have not had a delivery or any email saying if there was a problem. So I go to look at the order status and it still says "pending".

Turns out that even though I pre-ordered on the first day that this was possible, I still have to potentially wait 180 working days which puts it to any time between now and June the 16th next year... And no, customer service was no help at all "the order page did say "up to 180 days" " - so what's the point of pre-ordering?

It appears that there was either a massive sell out within an hour of the pre-orders starting or stock does not get allocated on a first come basis.

Now I have seen in the past that things are made to order whereby they take a week or two for ordering and don't start production until that closes, fair enough, that I understand, but there are plenty of these models popping up as being received and painted already.

Not as though it needs to travel too far either, I am only 20 mins down the road from the factory...

Of course, all the people on youtube and other social media got theirs well before release (or even pre-order)... I bet I could order one off eBay and get it here faster.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2022
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Win! As long as the game is played within the rules ie. army lists and points totals etc., I really fail to see an issue (following on from our previous commentary around kitbashing, although I do understand their side from the financial-only-our-toys-allowed-in-our-game perspective, not that I necessarily agree with it). 3D printing has changed the landscape massively.
    Not a critical dig by any stretch as these look great, but I'd like to see some form of mobile missile carrier system look as if it has more use than just the first ten minutes of any given battle, due to the number of projectiles carried. Maybe a companion unit with extra ammo? Whirlwinds, Deathstrikes, Hunter-Killers and Manticores all suffer from this as well. Granted they can turn the tide, but what do they do once the initial fury is spent? Maybe some extra gunnage so they can join the fray after shooting their load (sorry...:grin:)?

13. lilgoth89

[​IMG]

Bridgetonk completed, this is only 2 parts, i made a full hull section ( which has the lower hull, both tracks and the cab at the front) and then the rear hull plate and hull roof, this way i can have a couple of hulls and multiple add-on parts that i can mix and match depending on if i want a Baslisk, Armoured Basilisk, Hydra, Manticore, Chimera, Hellhound, bridge tank, Trojan or a Griffon

14. Almightyrastus

Ooo, modular tonks. Awesome stuff. Big fan of modular stuff.

15. lilgoth89

[​IMG]
    ( ignore 3d building's incessant whining )
    here is where i am up to at the moment

liratheal, Pete J and Almightyrastus like this.
  16. Almightyrastus

Nice. Just as you would hope that the real thing would be, a single universal chassis with add on modules for different roles.

One idea that I have always liked the idea was shown in a modified Rhino form as the Repressor. It was done by FW for Sisters of Battle, but I always thought that it should be an option as well for Chimeras as more of a civil defense or Arbites vehicle. I have seen some versions built using a wheeled Chimera conversion, but tracks work as well.

17. lilgoth89

Also added a Griffon to my ever growing collection, is there any vehicles that i am missing ? i was thinking of adding a Collossus bombard ( which was originally on the Russ chassis )

18. Almightyrastus

The Colossus Bombard was always one of my favourite ones, just a massively impractical mortar on a chassis that seemed too small, it is the Imperium way...

There is also the Deathstrike launcher. The Epic scale one had a much larger missile by scale in comparison to the 40k version.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wasn't there one that launched a vortex missile? Is that the Deathstrike?

20. Almightyrastus

The Deathstrike is that one that can be made from the same kit as the Manticore and as far as I can recall, when you want to fire it, you have to roll to see if you get permission due to the cost per missile or something. .

This fella:

[​IMG]

The Epic scale ones came in a few variants:
    These older two were on a different chassis:

[​IMG]

And then this one came along later using the Chimera hull again, but a longer missile than the 40k one would have had:

/*edit*/ Just realised that this one is on a chimera hull that have had the track sections reversed. Not sure if that was just down to builder error or by design, the hull also looks to be set a lot further back than standard.

[​IMG]

As for the vortex missile, in the Epic scale stuff you fielded them with a chosen warhead type that was then revealed to your opponent when it was fired, you could choose from Vortex, Warp, Haywire, Stasis, Surface-to-Air, or Plasma:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Nov 2022
    liratheal and Pete J like this.