1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Kids newly using mobile phones - what to watch/how to prepare?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 30 Aug 2022.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yo, team.

Title pretty self-explanatory, really. The older one will be taking ownership of the first mobile phone soon (Android) and so I'm after any and all tips and best practices that the bit-massive can provide regarding:
    • e-safety from kid side
    • monitoring - both parental and locational ie. logging of activity as well as knowing where they are, probably also including logging home router traffic
    • ...which probably also includes monitoring apps (might be something called Parentlink or similar?)
    • security - how to remote wipe/prevent against theft or loss at school
    • installation of anything inappropriate (possibly comes under points 1-3)
    • practical tips ie. obliging random access, especially mid-activity; limiting access time(s)
    • anything else I've missed, which I'm sure will be a lot
    If you guys can share any tips or experiences, including what the little geniuses do to bypass anything WE do (I've heard about Finsta and Rinsta for example, but not sure there's much you can do in those kinds of circumstances) and what we can do to counter THAT again, if anything, then that would be ace :wallbash:. I do have access to the primary email inbox (for legacy reasons, as I set up all the gaming/online accounts and wanted oversight of those), but that only lasts as long as it's the known primary one.

I'm sure it's clear, but this will be the maiden voyage and I've left it to the last minute to get sorted so I'm behind the informational curve and anything you guys can add will be appreciated.

Cheers in advance! :thumb:

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

saspro likes this.
  3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Oooh! "ALL" can be done through this? I will check it out. Cheers sandys - dependable dissemination of information per tradition :rock:

Have you used this personally/can I hit you up with any questions?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup *some* , use it on my daughters, perhaps it is not the most comprehensive compared to somethings you can buy but does all we need, you might want something that does more tracking from the sounds of it.

You'll likely want to get them on s good data plan and set warnings limits if there are caps.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2022
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Ah doesn't do all the things you want actually.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah. In that case, how have you guys managed? Is it more trust-based?

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Mostly trust based but I can log into her google account and look at activity if I feel the need, just not through family app.

8. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

I've got google family link and that works fine for us. I can see what apps have been used and for how long, where she is, either my wife or I have to approve any installs, the play store is restricted to age appropriate content. It also has a find my phone feature which is great for annoying her, just keep blasting that until she come downstairs to find out what we want.
    We work on the trust system as far as who she is messaging, what is being watched in netfix etc. as you can't get that detail from the app. Though my daughter is fine to let one of us have a look whenever we ask.
    We had a slight issue about a month ago where the data connections were accidentally switched off and we couldn't find her location on the map but I think that would be an issue with any monitoring app.

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

OK, so I'm out of date now mine is 20, but back it the long distant past, yes pretty much the old trust but verify approach worked for us with the only proactive thing we did was lock her phone down from accessing age restricted stuff

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Thanks all for suggestions. Just looked at reviews for Family Link and they seem to be poor, generally denouncing it's lack of functionality. Obviously from the above, this does not appear to be the case with bit-users, so are these reviewers missing a few tricks that maybe the techies of us on here have worked out?

11. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Possible. Or could be general relationship with the child as in they expected far more so they would not have to communicate with their offspring.

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

:hehe:

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I think a lot of reviews when I had read they were poor because it was limited, for example you could lock the phone down but not allow reading when locked and stuff like that.

It's basic but it does it job, just set it up such that you control what apps can be install, force chrome for example and in the google account you have all the monitoring on, then every step will be logged, enable tracking in your own google account and take a look, it stores everything, where you've been, what you've browsed and searched etc. it is really detailed.