1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HM Queen Elizabeth II under medical supervision

Discussion in 'Serious' started by IanW, 8 Sep 2022.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Very sad time with very strange feeling… such a constant in all our lives it feels weird to think she’s no longer here.

Not much of a royalist here myself either, but did always have a lot of respect for the Queen and royal family.

Weirdly, in the earliest parts of the pandemic. It was the queens speech I felt most reassured by…. comforting I suppose in some ways. Like a supportive talk with a grandparent.

I saw her earlier described as “The nations grandmother” sounds about right.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'm not being funny man but this isn't the time for both sides.

It boggles my mind how much the world has changed, and certainly not for the better. What is it with people doing things they would have never done before?

Someone has died. You either show respect or you don't. But you keep your mouth shut. That is how it works. You don't walk into a funeral parlour or a pub where people are holding a wake and kick off and start bad mouthing the person that has died. No matter what. Not ever.

I don't really know who Kayin is. Maybe I haven't paid attention, but a telling off by Modsquid is getting off lightly. Now imagine you did what I mention above. Let's say you walked into a pub full of English people whilst they were in a state of mourning and started running off your mouth about the things you didn't like about that person. You would be lucky to leave with your life. Seriously if someone walked into my nan's funeral and did that. Well you know what? let's not go there because we all know it wouldn't happen would it dude? you would need to be Superman or very very stupid to do so.

When I was a nipper my grandfather would be walking us kids down the street. A funeral car would go past, and he would literally stop in his tracks and take off his grandad cap and put it on his chest. Regardless of who was in that car, or had died, or what sort of person they were. In fact, it was usually always strangers.

Now oddly enough after asking him what he was doing I now do it too. As a matter of common decency. End of.

I'm really tired of seeing this stuff. Enough.

Cheapskate likes this.
  4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Last edited: 10 Sep 2022
  5. Risky

Risky Modder

This seems bizarre. Why would you assume that the British Monarchy is the big deal when it is essentially powerless for centuries. Is symbolism more important than actual political power? Does some old woman dying and her son taking over her ceremonial role wake y'all feel like partying?

And how does it help anyone?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Symbolic institutions aren't rational; they are emotive, literally designed to inspire feeling. What feelings depends very much on what side you're on.

Therefore they do have political power.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2022
  7. adidan

Odd, works for me.

Think the sound is a tad out of sync.

There is also a link on Daily Mail. :worried:

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Cheers, I saw a snippet of it on youtube, from the posh DM, the telegraph.

9. adidan

I mean they fecked up with the whole ink and pen trays, could they make it any more awkward for them.

loftie likes this.
  10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm pretty shitty at inferring the meaning from what people say and write, I tend to take things very literally. For that reason I try to be quite precise in what I say, especially when "saying" it means "posting it on the internet". If I say or write something then generally that is exactly what I mean - no subtext, no hidden meaning, no implication.

I come from a military family. Both of my grandfathers served in the military. Three of my uncles served in the Army, one of whom served in Northern Ireland, Desert Storm, and the invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan. My father was in the RAF for nearly 25 years, serving both in Northern Ireland during The Troubles and The Falklands during the war - he volunteered to serve in the invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan (although they sent him to the base psychiatrist for that!). Also, I've recently come to understand just how much risk there was from the IRA when we lived abroad; whether it's my father being assassinated for being in a British military uniform, my family being caught in a car bomb or having a bomb placed on our car, or me and my brother's school buses being bombed.

Believe me when I say that there is a very strong tradition of support for the monarchy in my family and that words like duty, service, honour, and sacrifice are not words that I take lightly.

You can infer from that what you will, it's not my intention to make any implication at all. But I will be explicit about one thing: what I actually think about the monarchy or the passing of the Queen is frankly nobody's business but mine.

And I do appreciate that, thank you.

No, you really didn't edit for accuracy, in fact you did completely the opposite. You changed what I said to make it fit either what you think I said or what you want to say, instead of what I actually did say. Just like stuartpb did earlier (and has since apologised for), you've worded this in such a way as to make it seem like I hold or have expressed a particular point of view when in fact I've done no such thing. But as I've now said twice already: I did not, and will not, say a damn thing in this thread about what I think of the monarchy or the passing of the Queen.

Let me highlight the relevant parts here, and bear in mind that these quotes were in direct reply to me.

As you did, the way that @stuartpb worded this reads as if he has assumed that I have certain views/opinions when there is no evidence of that. That's misrepresenting my position, arguing against something I haven't said, or - put more simply - "putting words in my mouth". And that's why he apologised when I said "please don't do that to me".

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Is it over yet? Can people stfu about it now? Or are we going to be milking this for decades like Diana?

[​IMG]

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

How long before right-wing, lunatic, conspiracy theorists (AKA “patriots”), start claiming Charlie had her poisoned, because he was fed up waiting to be king?

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well, the kool-aid connoisseurs of the internet were already claiming that Charlie boy was signing some proclamation that Turnip won in 2020 or some ****...

...so, it's probably in the queue of **** they're about to roll out.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.