1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering photos from Android phone

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ElThomsono, 17 Sep 2022.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

TLDR, how do I get photos off a phone with a dead screen?

Laura's phone hadn't been backing up its photos as she'd used up all her cloud storage, about six months after this our toddler got hold of the handset and something happened to the screen, it's 100% dead, zero input or output.

We paid to upgrade her storage hoping the phone would then back up the six month backlog of photos, but it's not done so. The handset powers up and does the little vibrate chirp as you select it on the switch so it appears to be alive in some way.

Plugging it into a laptop doesn't seem to do anything, presumably the phone needs to authorise the connection?

The quote we had for a new screen was more than the phone was worth, but less than the value of the photos. Is there another way?

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Which brand if its a reasonable good one you can plug in a USB dock

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

OnePlus Nord 5G, can you elaborate on this?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

On many android phones you can plug a PC usb dock in and use a monitor with mouse and keyboard, general exceptions tend to be Chinese stuff like that but worth a shot if you have one.

port appears to be usb2.0 so I don't hold out a lot of hope.

ElThomsono likes this.
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Other than that just plug it straight into PC and hope that it comes up in a media mode, this is quite likely and pull photos from folders, you might need to do finger print unlock first

if you have a pin code phone lock, yu should be able to plug a keyboard into to do the pin.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Have you looked into replacing the screen yourself (if that is indeed the issue ie. not a duff board or otherwise damaged internals)? I just replaced two myself with mixed results - one has come back online but with an area of the screen non-responsive, which could be due to a dodgy re-connect or a ribbon cable I shafted. The other has come back exactly fine which is surprising, considering I pretty much separated the layers of the screen itself when removing it, but it still has the battery issue I was trying to fix.

If it's not too difficult based on YouTube videos, might be worth a shot just to see if you can get the photos back and then recycle it.

ElThomsono likes this.
  7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Perhaps grab a usb-c to hdmi cable and see if there's any output to a monitor/tv.

If so, and if the touchscreen part of the screen isn't working, try a usb-c dock as sandys has suggested. Perhaps something like this.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2022
    ElThomsono likes this.
  8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Cheers guys, I tried my USB-C dock in the house and it recognised a connection but did nothing, the one I have at work doesn't either but frankly that was hopeful, neither is a proper USB-C hub.

I'm now looking at cost options of buying a proper Android compatible hub or trying my hand at doing the screen, or chucking a fiver at an HDMI and seeing what's what :geek:

Thanks for all the input :thumb:

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Fairly sure the Nord doesn't support display output over USB (USB-C 2.0 and no MHL).
    By design phones these days won't let you access files over USB without unlocking and manually activating file transfer (for security).
    Result is that unfortunately you'll likely need a new screen.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As @wolfticket has alluded to as it is USB 2 it is unlikely to work, there are ways to get display from USB 2.0 by Displaylink adaptors and the drivers for such are in Android but you may need to approve use first which you'd be stuffed by with a broken screen but some docks from the likes of dell have displaylink if you are looking at what you might have in the office.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

You were right!

[​IMG]

Fortunately I found a guy on YouTube doing one, showing that you can just remove the back and connect the new display without having to lever the old one out first; all I need to do is get the photos off this unit so I don't really care about getting it working.