1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU AMD 7000-series launched (with a price cut!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IanW, 30 Aug 2022.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you use 200W for 10 seconds to get the work done or 100W for 20 seconds to get the wok done then it doesn't matter if the peak power consumption is high because the total amount of power used is the same.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Per the GN reviews, the 7950X is about 25% less efficient than the 5950X on a performance per watt basis. If you intend to run the 7950X at load for extended periods it will be more expensive than the 5950X even though it's faster.

I'm a big fan of hardware doing more for the same or less power, performance through wattage just ends in a space heater too expensive to run. Related to that, the R5 7600X has power requirements only marginally lower than the 5950X, oof!

Vault-Tec and wyx087 like this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, these performance per watt charts have really reinforced my love for the 5950x.

In the face of a new series launch, I'll take whatever crumbs of comfort I can find :lol:

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

MSI posted some of their official AM5 mobo prices on a livestream yesterday:-

[​IMG]

(I guess 1599 is a little better than €2399!)

Source:-

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Jesus effin Christ, €400 for the cheapest 670 board up to €1599?

Glad I decided to stick to AM4.

7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Did we really expect new chipsets, sockets and RAM to be a cost-effective upgrade? Wasn’t Intel’s last upgrade also eye-watering in effective cost?

Seems to me the actual CPUs are fine - albeit depending on the quality of the ECO mode that is to follow.

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Yep, the Mobo prices are insane. I can only hope the B series boards are more reasonable but I would like an ITX board with an internal USB C header and dual NVME so doubt that's going to feature on a B series. I won't be paying £300+ for a mobo so will stick with the R5 3600x for a good while yet by the looks of it.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Don't forget also that AM5 supports DDR5 only - There'll be no DDR4 boards as there is with Intel's Alder Lake.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Seems to me like they haven't been able to increase IPC through architecture design or clock speed through efficiency, so they've gone back to the "throw all the watts and heat at it" of old.

Would be very interested to see clock for clock and watt for watt analysis.

wyx087 and David like this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Exactly my take on it.

The all core frequency is impressive, but the cost of attaining it is fearsome.
    I imagine the likes of HUB and GN are already working on it - I look forward to it.

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I am now convinced that Lisa Su is in fact an agent of Tzeentch and she's just turning the dials to mess with us.

TLDW: It appears that these new chips still have the 65Watt eco mode of previous generations, but also a 105Watt Eco mode. Turning the the 7950X to 105Watts leaves it with power consumption a small amount higher than the 5950X, but retains around 85% of it's full power performance.

That rather turns the performance per Watt calculation on it's head. I wonder why AMD didn't choose that as the 'normal' operating mode and leave the higher TDP as an 'unlocked' mode that trades efficiency for pure output.

wyx087 and Omnislip like this.
  13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't worry, I'm sure someone has a X670E Extreme Maximus Aqua Gold Facial Master God Edition for £2022 that will come with gold plated EK waterblocks included in the works if those revealed so far are a bit too peasanty.

Jokes aside, yeah mobo prices are definitely hurting the value of AM5 for now.

adidan likes this.
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't think board prices are bad, x570 was also expensive on launch over time it should come down, it's new and shiny, dealing with much higher power and interface speeds, it will cost, the daisy chaining of PCH chipsets though seems a bit of a kludge, a lot going through the 4 lane DMI bus if you fully utilize this thing, seems to me more lanes needed.

I guess there is an element of factoring in the muppets who will melt their systems twiddling knobs they don't under stand as it can suck down quite some juice, it's do that or lock it, I'm sure when they do the actual low power chips they will be TDP locked like normal.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2022
  16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Except the whole high interface speeds (aka DDR5 and Pcie 5) thing also applies to Z690 yet:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am5-ddr5-atx-motherboard-mb-5b8-gi.html
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...tel-z690-ddr5-eatx-motherboard-mb-5a1-gi.html

Not only does the AM5 version cost more, it also has had its ethernet nerfed from 10Gb to 2.5Gb to cut costs.

The only saving grave for AM5 boards atm is that they are supposed to be supported until 2025 at least where as it is an open secret that on the Intel side of things socket 1700 will be dead and buried in 2023.

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The tech press and general consumer are a bunch of muppets. You'd have "AMD only wins by turning on extreme mode" articles.

Omnislip likes this.
  18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't get your point, a board launched 6 months ago is cheaper that the new hot stuff with an early adopter bump, is that a surprise?

You could always bump up to the extreme if you need that 10G NIC onboard, that happens to be cheaper than the Intel Xtreme variant.

The AX variant looks to be only £50 more than I paid for my X570S version, though I guess that is because it is not an X670E, seems fair enough, I've barely needed PCIe 4 so 5 can wait, I'm sure like my X570S it will drop in price after the launch swell, though rather Sneakily Gigabyte down specced the Wifi chips in later revs, so my early one is better.

Personally I have a dual Intel 550 10G NIC in my board, perfect for the bottom x4 slot and generally better compatibility that Aquantia

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If the beta tester tax was real then why didn't it exist for the Z690 version?
    https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-ac...gabyte-z690-aorus-master--p5900415#statistics

And other mobo brands ain't really any better, for example AsRock has £300+ X670E boards with Realtek ALC897 which is the ultra budget onboard audio chip of choice for cheapskates that should be reserved for sub £100 garbo boards usually found in prebuilts.

20. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

My hunch is that its a mix of "Chip shortage" price gouging plus genuine cost increases from PCI-E 5 traces and maybe DDR5 changes. The fact all of them are at it suggests it's not simply "new" architecture tax but that the cost of production has shot up for some reason and PCIE5 & DDR5 traces are the most likely culprit due to signal integrity challenges.