1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy prices, what's your plan?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ElThomsono, 30 Aug 2022.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If your roof needs doing, do it now, you have a spare house to live in, minimal disruption. :D as you are doing the roof you can get some nice integrated panels and save on roof tiles.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Would that I had the cash. The last of my savings is going on getting the office outbuilding up, and January's tax bill. Until I've sold the current place, I'm brassic.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This is the sort of content I would love to be doing if bit-tech was still publishing.

4. walle

walle Minimodder

All firewood in place and all the solar panels have finally been cleaned, should help improve the efficiency this winter.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

When we're in France, we're going to have all the solar panels. :)

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Live offa the fatta the lan'.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's the potential for three-hour rolling blackouts, as expected. But if you run your washing machine overnight instead of in the evening, you might get a few pennies off your bill. So there's that.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Smells like it was written before Putin blew up that pipeline...

9. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, man, I've just realised: what happens when there's a power cut? Every bugger's house alarm panics and starts singing you the song of its people.

That's going to be fun, innit?

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Should have enough back up to last a few hours but knowing classic underestimation that goes on will likely have blackouts far longer.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I was doing a remote upgrade on a router on street, with field service in attendance in case it went wrong. Of course, it does and I lose connection, after which I get a call saying "you're not going to believe this Steve, all the power's gone out, burglar alarms are going off and everything".

According to the logs it had been online for three years prior, and as soon as I upgrade it, bang, we lost the lot :hehe:

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"PC is acting up, let me update my BIOS..."

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

For September I've used 100kwh less in elasticktrickery compared to last year and my gas use is also down, by 200kwh.

For me, it's not about not being able to afford the higher prices & standing charges, it's not wanting to.

adidan, wyx087 and MLyons like this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

I saw, but forgot to post about, a thing yesterday where French weather forecasts will now include a traffic-light system to warn when the grid is at risk of overloading, so people can plan their energy usage accordingly.

Which is the most cyberpunk thing I've heard all week. Seriously, wouldn't have raised an eyebrow reading that in a Gibson.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Looks like we might have to stop laughing at Texas for having a 3rd world power grid...

16. Gareth Halfacree

Ffff....

upload_2022-10-7_17-30-52.png

Ouchie. I've been paying £180 a month and I'm thirty quid in credit, so I'm not really sure how they've come to the conclusion I'll need to pay £422.50 before discounts...

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'll happily swap you for mine, bud. :thumb:

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I guess you missed out on some of the previous price hikes earlier in the year due to contract stuff and they are now blessing you with all of them at once:worried:

19. walle

walle Minimodder

You can do that when you decrease production and increase demand.

20. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

That seems incredibly high unless you are
    A. Running a swimming pool or hot tub
    B. Heating the playboy mansion
    C. Running a cryptomine
    D. Just leaving the doors and windows open all day

If you're a high usage house you might get to that but I would expect more like 2-3k even at higher costs

Tags: