1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Somewhere in the next few weeks. Should be finished by then (all going well).

:dremel:

2. imjacktoo

imjacktoo What's a Dremel?

G-gnome, I want to see the finished product so than u can start modding ur mods....that works for me......what u think

I can't see where its too much or too little of this or that, it just floors me every time I see ur project...

Ur workmanship on this computer is fantastic, but what gets me is ur creativity :idea: awesome....keep up the good work

3. SweMOD

SweMOD What's a Dremel?

well, when I spam the way you do I will get to minimodder too ;)

finished!? :eeek:
    omg, you are gonna get finished soon?? :eeek:

thas cool :D :rock: :clap: :rock: :D

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Props to G-gnome for following his vision.

5. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome, just a few ideas to run by you.

1) How about using waxpaper to diffuse LED light.

2) For accents, how about using a square of clear acrylic and only having green on the four corners. Or make a "frame" from the green acrylic.

But in all, when you planned this case and mod, you and you alone had the final product in mind. Don't let what anyone says on the forums allow you to stray from that goal.

I'd like to share this with you, I called some plastic supplier in my area and wanted to be sure they had that neon green acrylic you used. So I told the salesmen to browse to your article. He was hooked, he said he'll have to read it at home. Hehehe. :lol:

As for me, I never thought I'd want to try watercooling. But after seeing your case, its looking like I'll have to attempt to recreate this case on my own. If only for local bragging rights.

Mod on G-gnome. :dremel: :dremel: :clap:

6. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

please don't try to recreate it. maybe get inspiration, but don't recreate it. that's part of what makes this such as good mod is its originality...

7. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Not trying to be rude Da_Bacon, but unless G-gnome explicitly tells me (or everyone) not recreate anything seen on the Orac³ I can't see why I should not be allowed to horde materials used and throw together a case "like it."

I said recreate this on my own. I meant doing things how I wanted to. But going by the materials G-gnome used. I mean how many people can honestly say "Yeah I've wanted to send off power supply covers to get chrome plated" or "Yes, stainless steel shower hose would totally be wicked to hide wires in."

Going slightly off topic, is using adobe photoshop. A user can create an action which is recorded commands they use to acheive an end result. They freely publish this for download. Now I can take that action, and stop it, throw in my own effects, let it finish and take it 2 levels further. Now its my own action, yet I'll give credit to the original author.

Thats what modding computers is about. Seeing how someone got over hiding those ugly wires. Great, they post progress pictures and their instructions. So that, unless they patent their instructions, gives me the ability to take their steps and modify it to fit my plans and ideas.

But all things aside, if G-gnome wishes nobody to remake his case, I'll respect that wish.

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

As I have always said to anyone - go for it!

I think Da_Bacon might have misinterpreted what you were saying? He knows I always encourage peeps to take what I have done and add to it or make their own version of it etc. I think he might have thought you wanted to make a carbon-copy/exact replica of it and was simply trying to encourage some originality (at least that's my interpretaion of it)?

I think making your own version and using the same or similar themes and materials to make a case 'like it' would look great! You have my full support/endorsement - just make sure you post up a pic or two when you're done to share your creation with us. :)

Happy modding askpcguy909 :dremel:

9. 3vil-Grin

3vil-Grin What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with G-gnome!

If its not going to be an exact copy of his case what could it hurt?! In fact he might come up with something just as cool. Or better yet, he might included something that NO one had thought of using including G-gnome. At the same time it will be just as sweet looking as his.

Dont hate on people like that. If I had half the skills most of the modders in these forums had I would try to incorporate so of their brilliant ideas into my next case. Not to copy but to use to learn the trade and maybe (do i even say) even improve what they have done. *looks around for lighting to hit!*

I say "Go on with your badself, askpcguy909!! If you got the skills, do it. But dont forget to show us cuz we love seening those oh so pretty cases!!"

*jumps off soap box*
    thank you - thank you... i am here on Wednesdays (LOL)

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK TO EVERYONE THAT LOVES TO MOD!

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Thanks G-Gnome and 3vil-Grin for your endorsements.

Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing trouble finding a job to set aside the money needed to purchase materials. So it's probably going to be 6 months or more before I can even think of buliding.

Yes I do have a few crazy ideas bouncing around in my head that takes G-Gnomes orginal ideas into another level. In fact, I was at a store today and saw Stainless steel shower hose!! :rock: :rock:

G-Gnome: If you could email me, maybe I can discuss with you some of my ideas to get your feedback?

Thanks all and mod on! :rock: :dremel:

11. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

sorry, askpcguy909, i took your comment the wrong way. i just know we had trouble a few pages back with that one guy who was almost harrassing g-nome to get info so he could replicate the case down to the last bolt and screw (if i remember, he even wanted to buy things from the same companies, and he's not even in australia). but getting inspiration from his work is definitely a good idea </compliment> ( :D) sorry again if i took your reply the wrong way! :blush:

(sorry for getting everyone off-topic g-nome - we've had too much extra spam already in this thread :duh: )

12. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

I agree with 3vil-Grin, this forum was meant for us to share ideas and build off of others. If askpcguy wants to make his own version, let him. He might come up with something neat that someone else wants to duplicate.

Isn't there a saying something like "Imitation is the highest form of flattery"?

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Wow ok guys, thanks for all the support but the high court of G-Gnome already made a ruling. Please lets post only revelent material to Orac³

:end sucking up. :rock: :rock:

14. ramapoughnative

ramapoughnative What's a Dremel?

Hey G-gnome!
    I haven't posted in a bit. (i know you need your space to finish up.) Just wanted to say 'Merry Christmas to you and the family'.

:D

15. skyrex

skyrex What's a Dremel?

hi i have been following your project for quite a while now and i love every sq. mm of it! also i have noticed a few times that you say you are from Newcastle. i was wondering if you could b a little more specific, ie. newcastle town, or like from charlestown/dudley/whatever? i ask this because you would most likely know that every two months there is a LAN event held by the Newcastle Gamers League and I have heard on the grape vine that you are considering making an appearance when your case is finished. i know this has nothing to do with the actual project as such, but to see your case in the flesh (or perxpex, whechever way you look at it :) ) would be awesome, and an experience of its own...

but apart from this, you have done a marvelous job on this project and words cannot describe the incredible amount of time, money and effort you have put into it. i take my hat off to you simply for your motivation to complete something of such detail and complexity. congrats. :rock: :thumb:

16. digitalsolo

digitalsolo What's a Dremel?

Wow... that's all that comes to mind... I registered to compliment you on this case, and to thank you for the time and effort put forth in sharing it with the rest of us.

You've really given me a lot of great ideas, and some concepts as to how I may go about bringing some of my older ideas into fruition. Actually, you took a few ideas I had worked with a few years ago (have you been looking at the pictures the government has been taking of me? :eyebrow: ), and made them actually work right! :rock: LOL.

Beyond the compliments, I do agree with the previous post about the fan grill on the front. The idea for green neon acrylic circles in the outer circles seems like it would really work well... beyond that, I'm not sure if you've seen them, but at my workplace we have motherboard mounts that are chromed with small sets of rings cut into the otherwise hexagonal shape (as if put onto a lathe and spun smooth over 90% of the standoff). Tough to explain, but hopefully you get the idea. Just thought it might compliment the "round" theme. :)

Seriously, that is incredible work, and as far off as it may seem, I'm working on a V8 swap in my RX7, so I think I can actually comprehend the level of preplanning and design required to complete a "puzzle" of that level.

Keep up the great work... I'm checking "email notification" right now. :cooldude:

Cheers-

17. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the Forums digitalsolo.

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

East Maitland :) Near enough to N'Castle. I lived in town for a while and then moved out here. I'll bring it along to one of the LANs when it's done - definitely!

And a merry one to you ramapoughnative! And everyone who has showed support for the project! Happy Holiday! :)

digitalsolo - Thanks for the comments and welcome to the forums!

19. SweMOD

SweMOD What's a Dremel?

G-gnome...

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
    You are definitely my idol in case makin :D

20. coorz

coorz Miffed

First of all G-gnome, your name is becoming synonymous with 'perfectionism', your work is simply astounding.
    A humble suggestion concerning case lightning;
    how about lightning the case with some additional white Luxeon leds? Especially mounted in the side panels they'd give an incredible effect, certainly not tacky.

Season's greetings to all of you from Holland! :hip:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.