1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I thought you were American...

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

he must have upgraded. :)

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Top Gun: Maverick: *chef’s kiss*

teacherboy, Gunsmith and Arboreal like this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The only thing I've seen at the cinema this last yar or two other than TG: M is Dune.
    That would be epic too on your setup, particularly the ornithopters clattering past

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I had forgotten about Dune!
    So many movies I need to catch up on - 2 years since moving that I've been storing up the "good ones" waiting for this.

Arboreal and ElThomsono like this.
  6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That looks super nice, man.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Decided against modding the cabinet. Would be tons of work, and it would cost me over £100. Instead I decided to look for a purpose built unit I can just cut the speaker into. Took all day, but finally managed to find the perfect candidate.

[​IMG]

Being white and grey all I need to do is cut the speaker in, no painting of the grille or pissing around needed. It may also have wireless charging for phones, RGB and a IR blaster inside.... Was cheap tbh. I then got in a tizzy about getting rid of the other one. Then I realised this.

[​IMG]

Two chairs that have never once furnished my arse, two PCs and a load of PC junk. The old TV stand will be absolutely perfect. Will also save me £100 on buying the pedestal I have been meaning to buy for 4 years, whilst also giving the server somewhere safe to live permanently. And storage for every scrap of PC junk and the tools you see.

Poifict.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Right, paid up for the stand. £260 from Dunhelm. It is being delivered Monday. IDK how I managed to do this, and I am sure I will pay for it tomorrow.

Before.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

Still have the desk to do, but OMG storage.

[​IMG]

I now have a whole drawer dedicated to tools !

[​IMG]

Before.

[​IMG]

Erm, during? lmao.

[​IMG]

I knew I would use those chairs one day :D Even the bedroom got an upgrade. Just need a splitter for the sub in there to run.

[​IMG]

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Am I the only one that thinks the washer and dryer would look good either side of the TV?

Yaka, spolsh and Byron C like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Haha big grey speakers!

When I viewed the flat mum came with me. She said she would disown me if I bought white appliances lol. She was right though. White would have looked awful under those granite tops.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's approaching the time when I'll be moving offices into the new outbuilding, which it turns out ain't going to fit quite as much in as I'd hoped - especially given all the stuff that still has to come up from the cellar...

I'd really, *really* wanted a way to listen to records without having to power up the TV(!), but there's no room for an amp and speakers anywhere. So, I got to thinking...

What about this Sony Bluetooth turntable? I can put it pretty much anywhere, and the Edifier speakers I've got on my desktop have a Bluetooth mode I never use.

Is there a better option for roughly the same price (or, even better, cheaper), or does that sound like a plan?

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Looks like a good plan to me and, that turntable has good reviews, What HiFi gave it their maximum 5 stars.

Arboreal and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Very happy with my (different) Sony record deck, I have the PS-HX500 - no bluetooth, but apparently I can record my pops and clicks and hisses to the PC in a high resolution format (not tried that bit, I just use it to play my records)

14. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

My folks have one of these - as it was the easiest way to get them back into using their records without needing to re-purchase and setup a full system - worked really well!

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently Audio-Technica announced yesterday that it was bringing back the Sound Burger, in shiny new Bluetooth-capable form.

Is it likely to be as good as the Sony? No, of course not. Is it appreciably cheaper? Eh, a teeny bit. Will I ever use it on-the-go through its rechargeable battery? What, I'm going to balance it on my knee on the bus? Are you daft?

Do I want one?

[​IMG]

...yes.

Trouble is, where the hell do I buy it? All the rewritten press releases on the usual websites just say "available today, £200" - but don't say where it's available. It's not on Audio-Technica's UK site, Amazon's never heard of it, ditto Richer Sounds, there's nowt on DuckDuckGo or Google Shopping...

A hearty digital handshake to anyone who can find a place for me to plonk down my £200!

EDIT:
    Aha! found it, you have to browse through the 60th anniversary products rather than search for it. Sadly... it's already out of stock. Sadface.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2022
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Console yourself with the fact that the Sony won't damage the LPs so they can be enjoyed again and again, or sold on to other peeps ... the 7000 new Soundburgers they're making will undoubtedly be as destructive to media as the original one was.

18. Gareth Halfacree

From what I've read, the (original) Sound Burger was fine - it was the clones from rivals that ate your records.

19. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

It is quite possible that it was a clone/copy that my sister had, but in my head at least I'm sure it was a real one ... (memories do sometimes go faulty though)

20. Gareth Halfacree

Apparently (if I want to risk it), it's not quite as "limited edition" as pitched: emailed customer services, and got told: "We are next due to restock these early next year. We will have a date closer to the time."