1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

keef247, IanW and Byron C like this.
  3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63477302

I would much rather the Qatari Police do their thing and start a riot, leading to the end of tournament football in the Middle East. But no, British Police being sent to enforce 'cultural sensitivities,'.

I still predict some kind of mass arrest or riot, hundreds of thousands of European football fans in Qatar all at the same time.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looks like my days of not watching football are certainly coming to a middle.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I wouldn't go to Qatar if I was on the squad, let alone as a fan.

Pete J, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  6. fix-the-spade

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63499057

Why is it that whenever someone lets a bot control something, it needs only a few days to start promoting Fascism?
    Assuming it was actually a bot and not some marketing drone thinking he/she is being clever.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sadly it's a far simpler explanation: human error. Someone found a list of holidays somewhere and wired it up to their automated Super Twitter Post-O-Matic Widget without first validating the list. Checks, reviews, and signoffs are boring, mundane, and thankless but they exist for a reason.

I've been working on a sentiment analysis model for a while and part of the data prep is to expand abbreviations and acronyms to their full form - e.g., "what the fudge" instead of "wtf". The data source used for that was a list of "common abbreviations/acronyms" that the original developer dumped from teh interwebs. I only spotted it because the word "sh!t" caught my eye - it was listed as an acronym for "sugar honey ice tea". Replacing "sh!t" with "sugar honey ice tea" fundamentally changes the meaning of a piece of text and produces a drastically different sentiment score. I had to spend hours manually reviewing over 4000 entries to remove the ones that were either flat out wrong or would change the meaning of the text. It was a boring, mundane, and thankless task, but it was a task that massively improved the accuracy of the process.

d_stilgar likes this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

See also the find-and-replace localisation job someone did on a USian novel, which included s/pants/trousers/g. Resulting in references to an event's "particitrousers," among other issues...

Byron C likes this.
  9. fix-the-spade

See I put that into category two, somebody thought they could automate something and save a few Euros by removing oversight, then probably thought they were ever so clever.

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

d_stilgar likes this.
  11. fix-the-spade

Batman dying isn't on the news.

But Ash Ketchum winning the Pokemon Games, apparently that's worthy of the same page as the liberation of Kherson.

#Edit, it's up on te BBC front page now, I am less demote. But still devastated.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2022
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I was thinking about replacing my phone and, after a couple of minutes, I spotted this vid from last month.

I'm guessing it's more of an issue of storing the phones with the battery completely discharged, but it was an eye-opener to say the least

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:eeek:

May have to dig through my drawers for the S2 and J5....

I know the S2 did it years ago but I put it down to being just duff, wonder if the replacement is hanging on.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Anything you store with a battery is worth a look and consideration of where it is place, My Sony Vita similarly put on a little extra weight around the battery compartment when up in the loft, usefully surrounded by spare bedding and other nicely combustible materials. :eek:

[​IMG]

The fire risk aspect of storing batteries wasn't something I had considered but obvious really.

Similar is happening with the HP notebooks elite being used by my missus company and they are in use, not even being stored, though this was around the time of our heatwave, so may be related to that.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2022
  15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My works HP Elite;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211012_152623234 (1) by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

sandys likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Spicy pillows! That did for my late, lamented HP TouchPad, that did.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Some time last year I came into the office for a several hour meeting for... something or other... My head of department sat down next to me and I absolutely shat myself when he got his laptop out. The front of it - exactly where the battery lives - had ballooned to at over double its normal size. He'd been using it like that for months without ever even realising that it could be dangerous. EDIT: And he'd been carrying it around in a rucksack every. working. day. Quite possibly the most terrifying spicy pillow I've ever seen in real life.

TheBlackSwordsMan likes this.
  18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

That had been like that for weeks, I knew what it was but couldn't persuade IT to get of their arses and get me new battery or laptop.
    Took it out myself (I really need to get around to getting shot of it) and ended up being tied to AC power for a couple of months until I couldn't go on a site visit with no working laptop (client wouldn't let outsiders plug in)

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nope, just a cock holster.