1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any difference between these two versions of MSI 3080?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 29 Nov 2022.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a friends 3080 and ive noticed that there seem to be two very similar versions.

a 'V1' version: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-VENTUS-3X-PLUS-10G-V1-LHR

and this one: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-VENTUS-3X-PLUS-10G-OC-LHR

From reading the specs it looks like just a 30Mhz boost clock difference, but the sceptic in me thinks there must have been some other changes like power/thermal targets in vbios etc.

Ive searched youtube and reddit but no info so far, so I thought I would check here with the fine folks on Bit-Tech

Does anyone here know for 100% what the differences are?

Thanks in advance!

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3. bdigital

Hi Wyx, thank you so much for replying. I have checked those links and it looks like the only difference is the boost clock by 30Mhz.

What's weird though, is that when I look up the V1 card its quite often also referred to as the 'OC' version. For example here https://www.cclonline.com/rtx-3080-...-ventus-3x-plus-oc-10gb-graphics-card-391100/

The model name on this site is given as : RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X PLUS 10G OCV1 LHR

I dont really care about the Mhz difference as it wont be noticeable, but I would like to know if they made any other changes like different heat pad distribution etc etc.

But I guess not finding any info out there is better than finding lots of issues :)

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If there's a 'SKU' and 'SKU-OC' there's almost never any physical differences. You're still left at the hands of the chip lotto god's as to how high yours clock.

Hell, my 970cheesecake would overclock and boost less than a lot of superclock cards, despite a different "beefier" PCB. Has to edit the bios and push 125W through each 6-pin before it would do much at all

adidan and wyx087 like this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

IMHO it's never worth buying into OC versions. Just buy the cheapest one that has the features you want (eg. suitable size, fan stop, quiet cooling under load, etc).

There may also been multiple OC versions as manufacturing matured and they discover they can push clocks higher without lots of QC failures.

adidan and The_Crapman like this.
  6. bdigital

Thanks all for the replies, they are really helpful.

Im not worried about clocking tbh. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt buying a card with a known fault since they discontinued that version.

Im upgrading from a 1080ti which to be fair still plays most things at 1440p. It just seemed like a good opportunity as he is selling and ive not upgraded in a fair few years. I dread to think if my CPU will end up being a bottleneck but I at this point I dont really care as im sure it will still prove a big upgrade.

Thanks again

The_Crapman likes this.