1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Work made 10% of people redundant, thankfully not me, but there's some fantastic people leaving and its really harrowing. Apparently (and this has been confirmed by others in other companies) investors are stopping all investments, so tech companies in the growth phase are all suffering, I know of some that have had to do 40% reductions! Recession appears to be really kicking off now, I hope everyone does ok.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seems that way, she was parked up. Either someone took a potshot with an air rifle or there was already a small crack and the thermal cycling of the short journey she'd taken stressed it to the point of failure.

Plus side, our insurance covers glass with a £95 excess. Won't get replaced until Thursday, though, but at least there's no rain forecast for tomorrow!

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not nice, that's the cycle in tech, boom, bust, boom, bust ad infinitum, we had the q3 earnings call last week and 5% reduction was just a matter-of-fact bullet point on a slide.....quality!! :rollingeyes:

4. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Or DBA's in India have moved ~21000 orders to a different status but only done half a job. Only changed the status on the orders table, no record in the status change table. Now I've got people asking me for some reporting on these orders, tracking when they leave the current status. I've had to turn them away saying I cannot do it as once the status changes there is no record of it having been in the previous status. First time in the 8 years I've been on the reporting team that I've had to turn people away with nothing. Very annoying.

MLyons likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

One main annoyance really.

Tenant overdue with rent. Again, although he has always eventually paid.

The main problem with that is radio silence for several weeks that required a visit from my agents to find a light on, car in the drive but no answer.

Just tell me your problem FFS, I can be reasonable. Hell, I've even been understanding about the odd previous late payments, life happens, and I've not put up his rent a penny. He has a couple of kids, no need to pile on extra hassle for him for a few more tenners in my pocket.

But, jeez, just make contact. He's not been in contact since he was late a couple of months ago but then the month after he was bang on time. He's just silent, which is so infuriating.

Think I'll be getting out of this landlord business next year, more hassle than it's worth although everything you read seems to paint us as money grabbing psychos who drive around burning fuel laughing at paupers.

Arboreal, Isitari and MLyons like this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Spray foam insulation in the loft, mortgage company wont allow additional lending until we rectify it (despite lending to us twice in the last 3 years, once for initial purchase, additional lending for an extension 18 months ago).

To rectify will require new roof, soffits, facias, scaffolding, gable ends....

5 digit quotes now flying around, first number not a 1!

Mortgage company wont lend to us to pay for the work until we have the work done! Catch 22!

Eeek!

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Whats the problem with the spray foam? I've seen bits about it.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Its a great insulator, so ideal for reducing heat loss through the roof when sprayed between rafters.

Unfortunately its not breathable, so if water gets between foam, rafters and tiles it sits there and causes the rafters to absorb all the water and ultimately rot. That's obviously a bit bad for the whole roof structure.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2022
  9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I thought it was only a problem if you (general term used to refer to client) got a quack contractor to do the spray foam instead of someone specialized? Either way seems like an issue going around in the UK now as banks are being more cautious in the falling housing market.

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Our house is 120 years old, with clay roof tiles on batterns straight onto the rafters. No felt / membrane.

So they just sprayed it all over the back of the tiles and up the side of the rafters.

We are that worse case :D

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Yikes.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

[​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  13. adidan

Evri.

Two parcels from two different places several days apart been in the Evri wilderness for over 10 days.

Local news showed them sorting some parcels outside.

Awesome. I wish companies wouldn't use that damned firm.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm hoping it's just a short-term thing while I get used to the medication, but since I started taking methylphenidate my... ahem... "regularity"... has shot right up. Slightly apprehensive as the dose doubles from tomorrow!

Not really noticing that much of a difference at the moment, although this week in work I've rarely had chance to actually get some work done. Plus I am on quite a low dose at the moment, so I wasn't really expecting much.

Let me guess: they did exactly what was requested, they were told to update a bunch of status values for a specific set of order records and they did exactly that and nothing more, even if they were aware of an audit/change history table. I'm not trying to say that offshore developers are incompetent, but this scenario is a boat in which I have sailed many times...

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Planned Power outage at work today so took the opportunity whilst the servers were down to do some well overdue cable maintenance. Re-did all 100 odd runs, got it all looking neat and tidy for the new UPS and router install tomorrow and waited for the power to come back.

Power comes back, everything fires into life and.... well... no one could see the network or get online. ****!!!

Many minutes of frantic wire tracing later and a follow up call with our IT support company and without changing a thing users started coming back online. We can only assume the HP switch had thrown its toys out of the pram for being switched off and took an age to reconfigure. Fortunately should all be sorted with the install of the new UPS but damn those minutes felt like hours. Biggest issue at the time was we didn't know if the cable re-runs were the cause of the or just the power outage.

IanW, ElThomsono and adidan like this.
  16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I get this when i deploy code to a server and it takes that 1 or 2 extra seconds than it normally does and there's that sense of "oh dear, oh dear oh dear"

xaser04, IanW and adidan like this.
  17. adidan

Definitely the power outage. Definitely. Nothing to do with you or anything you touched.

Definitely that. Anybody has a problem with it tell them to ask me, my convincing can be contagious. :thumb:

xaser04, Fingers66, IanW and 2 others like this.
  18. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Yep, that's almost exactly what happened. The manager of the 'Change Management' team, an internal team that is supposed to sense check these requests, left just before the request was sent and the whole place was in disarray. Though, given some of the wildly variable naming conventions used across the database, I shouldn't be surprised something went wrong.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Sounds about right! Or you hit process and the screen hangs for just that little bit longer...

Absolutely the power outage. Didn't help that my colleague kept coming and going confirming that the same people were still not seeing the server. Yes, I get that thank you but it isn't helping my stress levels!