1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Refunding someone outside of ebay

Discussion in 'General' started by cookie! nom nom, 7 Jan 2023.

1. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

Good morning I have a rather strange one.

I sold a high value item on ebay a few moths ago to someone, it was all going normal, dispatched it to a collection shop awaiting collection. But they never collected it and it was returned to my return address. The buy didn't mention it was never collected till three months later. Turns out it was delived to my return adress but i wasnt informedby my family member (my fault). I have offered a partial refund but ebay is not interested in processing this as its outside the 30 day money back period. How would one go round this? He's already tried to charge back ebay and after a little arguing I pointed to ebay that they have already done everything I could, even contacting then asking how to do a part refund inside ebay and they said you can't.

The buyer is out of pocket by around £500 after my costs so it not like they will give up, but I'm happy to refund just not sure how would be the best way to approach a refund without getting hit twice?

Any ideas?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah. Send it goods and services. That way you are both covered.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I usually send money via PayPal without charge - is there any reason this wouldn't work (assuming charges are the "being hit twice" that you mention)? Maybe in smaller increments if you're hitting chargeable limits? Having said that, I also thought you could part-refund via PayPal without needing eBay involved, but I could be wrong on that one.

Otherwise I would probably ask 1. Do they just want the item resent (I'm sure you've offered this)? Or 2. Are they likely/able to get a second clawback from somewhere that leaves you out of pocket after transferring via PayPal in good faith?

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

This would be my concern. Feels like your being scammed but maybe im just being old and cynical.

5. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

That's what I going to offer next. Sounds like he paid via PayPal credit card on ebay. But when I asked about a refund he wanted friends and family :eyebrow:

The buyer is a forwarding parcel company. They don't have the best reputation hence the drop off at a shop.

Very much so I have the item but the whole thing is iffy. "I'll have a refund but by friends and family because of fees" and it a parcel forwarding company with currently a lot of Russian reviews :eyebrow:

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If somebody wants friends & family "because of the fees" and not a proper paypal payment/refund it's almost always a scam.
    You can't reverse a friends & family payment and they know it.
    The fact they haven't mentioned anything for 3 months is also extremely suspect.

Sounds like they either used a stolen card for initia paymentl then try to get a refund in cash or they're putting in the chargeback & trying to get a refund at the same time.

Everything needs to go via ebay, he paid them and they paid you. So everything goes via them for refunds or you're more than likely going to get hit twice (on top of the ebay fees you need refunding)

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Can't recommend this enough. Once you step outside of eBay you lose any kind of arbitration or protection they offer. This is just as important for sellers as for buyers.

9. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

I would just tell them to contact eBay as you've done everything you can and doing anything outside of eBay opens you up to fraud. If they are genuine they'll figure it out with eBay.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Nah, man, that **** goes via eBay or doesn't go.

If the transaction starts on ebay it finishes there, otherwise ebay will screw you as the seller.

The_Crapman and Byron C like this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yep. As others above have said, sounds dodgy as ****, do not refund. Chargebacks can I certain circumstances be done outside of the normal window, and if it's credit card there's also section 75 you have to worry about. One of those where if it sounds/feels fraudulent, it probably is.