1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You don't want massive clown trousers, but being a bit big and loose is no bad thing.

You know... I'd never thought of that. Never had a better pair of gore-tex trousers than the MOD surplus stuff. Sadly I doubt they're made in my "fat *******" size.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Military issue comes in one size, fits nobody.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

One size: whatever can be "re-allocated" from stores! :grin: Although you'd never believe it with the multiple bin bags full of kit that my old man used to bring home sometimes... No matter where he was stationed, he always made a point of making friends with the people in stores!

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I look forward to your anonymous description of what goes wrong, in the "Who, me?" section of El Reg.

MLyons, Byron C and Isitari like this.
  5. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now. The healing.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Heal well.

Beautiful poem btw.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Had a motion ping on the Blink camera behind the shed. Nothing showing, but it looked like it'd been knocked down slightly. Had a second ping, some dude in a hooded jacket, ski-mask, and gloves vaulting the fence into the ginnel behind.

Looked like he might have come from the neighbour's garden, so flagged it with him - he'd literally just come home. He's got more cameras than me, but I don't think they do notifications. He checked his footage... two guys, creeping down the garden, to his back door, with a crowbar. He came home just before they could use it, which is what prompted the rapid exit - they must have seen his car coming up the drive.

He's talking to the police now, but it's proper unsettled the missus. Going to put (plastic, mostly-decorative) anti-climb spikes on the back fence - although I doubt anyone'd be trying to come into our garden from the ginnel 'cos it's six feet tall and smooth wood on the ginnel side. It was only easy for 'em to vault on the way out, 'cos it has a central beam you can stick your foot on.

At least they went away empty-handed!

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Does Blink offer a minigun upgrade?

9. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

F****** M$ and their dynamic disk implamentation, you would assume Mirror would mitigate one HDD failure, but nope, somehow all metadata of all other disks/partitions happen to be on that one disk (cant boot, trying to access disk from other windows install lists everything "invalid"), thank god for testdisk.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sounds like that ginnel might be a good place to keep your barbed wire collection?

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  11. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

[​IMG]
    These bad boys are what you need

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, if the problem you're trying to solve is "I haven't been sued lately..."

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Yep, it's kind of unpopular to put up these days.
    We had someone climb onto a flat roof at work from next door and fell through it.
    The insurance company said we had to put "Danger fragile roof" signs up but threw their hands up in horror when we asked about putting barbed wire up to stop them getting in...
    Seems a bit back to front, you're not allowed to deter or stop them, and have to warn them about the danger of going on your roof.

14. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Little warning sign and ya covered.

15. Gareth Halfacree

You very much are not. Especially when you install 'em at head-height on a fence separating your house from a public right of way.

I think I'll stick to my plastic ones.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  16. adidan

Lube.

Apply lots of lube.

Bloody_Pete, Pete J, IanW and 4 others like this.
  17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Not ruining as such, but incredibly frustrating.

New PC at work. Every 3 years we get new PCs, and due to the work that we do in the technical derpartment we are always asked what we need. We do a lot of CAD work as well as earthing system simulations for designing the below ground earthing systems for HV substations. This time, the IT guy shows up with a new PC asking for my password so that he can get everything setup, complete surprise, no idea that I was due for an "upgrade", never asked about anything prior to the new build arriving. Now I put that in quotes as he arrives with EXACTLY the same model that I have now, same Xeon Silver 4110 CPU, same Quadro P2000 graphics card, same SATA SSD, 16GB of RAM on a single stick... Another Lenovo P720.

What is the point in me changing over? 2 days + of backing up, swapping hardware, reinstalling, getting everything setup again, only to have a PC that is NO DIFFERENT to what I have now, other than a new 3 year warranty.

If only we had been asked about what we wanted or what we needed. The R&D guys were and now they have laptop workstations, would have been so useful given that I am working week in the office, week at home, and so on. We also might have been able to spec the additional RAM without me now having to go against all sorts of corporate IT security policies and open up the cases to (hopefully) swap the RAM around.

"local" servers (no longer local - all cloud based now, they used to be in the server room not 10m from where I am now on Gb connections - 100Mb now) are also running almost at capacity so backing things up is taking forever.

Have no choice but to swap now as this PC is about to be booted from the network as it is out of date, even though it is no different to the "new" one... Probably going to have to get one of the IT guys to reinstate the "new" one as well due to it not being connected to the network for a while.

18. adidan

So the section 21 ran it's course today and the inventory team turned up to check

Good news: The tenant has gone and there's no damage.
    Bad news: Front door had it's lock changed. Luckily he'd not done the back door.
    The back door was unlocked.
    Three windows were left open.
    He left in the middle of the night a little while ago according to a neighbour.
    There's furniture and food there, the carpet is trashed.
    He owes several months rent.

FFS. I just don't get how these people sleep at night.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Rent free! :lol:

MLyons, Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  20. adidan

:hehe:

Edit: Thanks, that did make me chuckle and reduced the rage a bit.

MLyons, Pete J and Vault-Tec like this.