1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This always gives me the feels at these times:-
    [​IMG]

In more mundane news, why is the Windows installer STILL so carp after a decade of carpishness?
    Been trying to re-install WIndows alongside Linux, and no matter what I do, it always spits up a
    "Windows Cannot Boot Into The Next Phase of Installation" error,
    and leaves extra EFI partitions randomly strewn across my PC.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:sad:

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

MrsYuu and I went for a walk this morning, on our walk we spotted a pretty injured pigeon, huge wound on it's back, couldn't fly, huddled against a wall.
    We went home, grabbed a towel and a pet crate and went back to try capture it. This was honestly pretty easy, too easy in fact.
    We got home (2min walk) and called the animal ambulance (equivalent to the RSPCA I think). This is around noon. They say the ambulance is on its way to pick up the bird. I know they can sometimes take hours, they're volunteers, I give them time.
    4pm call again, they apologise and say they're on the way. I ask if I can take the bird myself, they ssy no need as they're on their way.
    7pm call again, they say they registered the call but never sent it through to the drivers, apologise and say they're on their way. I again ask if I can take the bird myself, same answer as previously.
    9pm lines are full.
    Midnight, they have no drivers in the area and to wait until the morning. I say no ****ing way, at this point it's an emergency, tell me where to take the bird and I'll take it myself. Got a car share and drove the bird to the animal hospital.

Had to be euthanized.

Hate pigeons or not, no living creature should have to suffer through 12h of pain due to incompetency. I understand they're volunteers but 12h is plain unacceptable, they could've just told me where to take the bird.

**** humans.

goldstar0011 and mi1ez like this.
  4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

So sorry to hear. Chatting with my wife just yesterday how dogs aren't with us nearly long enough,

Almightyrastus likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Redundancies at work kicked in at the end of last week. The consultation period formally finished last Thursday, so today was the first full day after people had been let go. Out of about ~260 employees around 40 were let go. On top of that our CEO and CTO both stepped down, and there's not a chance in hell that this was a choice either of them made voluntarily. I have a huge amount of respect for both; the former absolutely transformed this company over the 6 years of their tenure, and the latter worked here for over 23 years, before it was even the company it is now. Both are highly competent and inspiring leaders who absolutely do "live the values".

I was never at risk; I know where I sit in the new structure and my role hasn't substantially changed. The team I was working with no longer exists (half of it was made redundant and it was eliminated in the restructure) but I'll still be doing the same kind of work in a different area. But it doesn't feel like the same place any more and it already feels like the culture has changed for the worse. I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way or is reconsidering their job either, most of the technical people I've spoken to over the last couple of weeks have had very similar opinions.

Up until the announcement I was quite content to stay working here for the foreseeable future, and even in the intervening 4-6 weeks I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. But now people have actually left it's a much easier decision. I'm not in any immediate rush, I'm happy to take my time, but either way CurrentEmployerâ„¢ is going to have to make it worth my time to stay there. The fact that I can earn more money elsewhere hasn't really concerned me for a good few years, but it's definitely a factor now.

Time to start updating LinkedIn and my CV.

I might even be a smartarse and do my CV in LaTeX; feel like my current layout is getting a bit tired, I don't think I've changed it substantially in over 15 years.

IanW likes this.
  6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I feel you. Our place changed massively after a merger a few years ago, and then COVID hit. Now nobody on my team goes in, and barely even chat on Slack. The one guy I actually chat to and go for beers with has just left and I think that's my time run. First 5 years were the best job I ever had, but now it's just miserable. 8 years this month.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's brutal mate. Sorry to see your doggo gone so suddenly.

Whatever their reasoning behind it, I hope things at least go smoothly for you at work. Upper management buggering about is never fun.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

cheers all, picked her up from the vet and buried her in the garden yesterday next to my last dog I lost back in 06, I think i'll get this set with my new team over and then take some time off and ignore the world for a week.

[​IMG]

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sat in at home, waiting for RM. Then I find the dreaded "Sorry, we missed you..." card in my letter box and the postie making a hasty getaway in his van.

Sam

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Welding repair on a "stainless" rack; turns out it's a weird heavy plated layer that the arc welder cut right through. It's stuck back together but it's not pretty.

11. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

There are a few things in my life right now that are ruining it completely but the main one has to be pneumonia ...first time for me, but this is the 3rd time in 2 years I have had to spend a lengthy amount of time in hospital. Who knew pneumonia was so damn painful? I couldn't move...literally, without agonising pain, for a full 5 days. No amount of morphene changed that either. I was in for a total of 10 days till the antibiotics did their thing, and it'll take around 6 weeks till I'm some semblance of normal. Just brushing my teeth wears me out so much that I need to sit down for an hour afterwards. I'm at about 50% lung capacity at the moment, and things like yawning and sneezing make me wince with pain still. Before the COVID jabs, I had never had to go to hospital, in 50 years on this planet ...since then, I have spent a total of 9 weeks in hospital...I'm not saying they are related, and it could be entirely coincidental, but heard the same story from many people in hospital this time around, as I was in the respiratory ward.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Not saying I'm sure, but it might be the 'Rona causing these issues, not the jabs against it.

Either way, hope you get better soon.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2023
  13. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

You're right! The evidence does currently indicate that COVID causes a massive drop in immune response.

P.S. get better soon Sonic!

14. adidan

Yeah hope it's not going to drag out too long for you @sonicgroove , it sounds like a right annoying pain in the ass. Pain is so pointlessly tiring.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My partner (who I moved in with a month ago) had to have their cat put to sleep this morning.

I moved in with them to help them pay for a more expensive place that allowed pets is the most brutal thing.

16. adidan

That's sad news at any time but the timing just seems particularly cruel.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've just been down the pub with my father-in-law, normally a very enjoyable experience but today he started coughing and then his eyes rolled and suddenly he was gone, I patted him on the shoulder and he came to but for a period of time I thought he was having a stroke. He says he lost time and didn t recognise me at first, we sort of played it off but it was deeply worrying. We had a few more drinks, (he switched to coke) but I'm seriously worried about the man, it was totally out of the blue and I dunno what happened or what the correct response is. Please advise.

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Could be a stroke/TIA. Hospital straight away.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/transient-ischaemic-attack-tia/

19. adidan

With the good comes the bad.

Now I have to fill in a form to tell Companies House the company my tenant set up while he wasn't paying rent (in his partner's name who wasn't supposed to be living there) has nothing to do with my property.

Found a random company letter at the house today, FFS. At least when the address does get changed I know where to send the small claims letter.

Scummy frickin barsteward.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I second Wolf's advice to go straight to hospital. When he/you get there I'd also advise that you are very clear about how much alcohol he had at the pub. Medics can often switch off when drinking gets mentioned so it needs to be pointed out if he only had a small amount.

Sorry to be ruining a bank holiday, but unexplained loss of conciousness = go straight to hospital. That does sound very like a TIA.