1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I feel like I should go through the Raspberry Pi manual and find just 1 mistake, but I’m pretty certain it would be a wasted effort, you’re an absolute gem Gareth and I can’t thank you enough. I’ve corrected everything you’ve mentioned and I’ll start looking out for more. I really do appreciate it.

Still trying to figure the pricing out, but I think a air conditioner contains metal/motor which can be tore down and sold to the scrapy to increase profit where as the rug cost money to depose of so it looks cheap, but the profit is still there.

Thanks again Gareth!

adidan and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Grr.

If you remember a while back, my beloved Volvo V50 died, and it turned out to be a proper death despite initial hope that maybe it wasn't as bad as it was. Anyway, after coming back from holiday, I've been negotiating buying a second hand V40 from the dealership, whilst trading in the V50 essentially with them for scrap, which is £500.

Unfortunately, I was (admittedly of my own imagination) under the assumption that all the attempted repair charges to date would also be negated. This is not the case. They come to £718. So not only is my new car setting me back £14K, there's an extra £218 on top.

Grr.

Seems like every time I start making headway on saving money (and the car has put me back to square one), something comes along to ruin my fun. Even if I stopped spending money on Lego, something else will come along to spite me.

At least I can do unlimited overtime at work. Might have to do even more than I've been doing. That's why I had the savings in the first place.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Annoyance rather than life shattering…

Partner put something on the local community Facebook page (not banter pages) about a lamb who was badly injured. It happens quite regularly to alert the relevant farmer about it. Seconds later…

“iTll bE Eaten NeXt WeEk LOlZ”
    “AND??”
    “LoL Karen, ILl havit for ma tea tomorrow”

it’s always some grown ass man… I didn’t want to spend my Saturday night dishing out atomic wedgies but it seems I must.

4. keef247

keef247 Modder

Never have, never would, you drive out and loose like a third of the value for a start, and still have to do 500-1200 miles before you can rev it out, so pointless!
    I restore/modifiy/maintain all my own cars, all of us have units/lifts/tools and trade discounts so it's a no brainer. So satisfying too mate.

Plus new cars are heavy asf/look shite/drive lifelessly/are all massive/handle like a hippo on rollerskates and have too many cats/dpf/ppf/egr/plastic/made not to last...
    It's ALL about the old school and putting engines/diffs/boxes that shouldn't fit in cars that have no place making that kind of power then out handling/overtaking something stupid fast/modern that costs silly money/financed!

Last edited: 20 May 2023
    Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Over-car-locking then.

If you read it quickly, you're in the right forum!
    :rock:

keef247 likes this.
  6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Better slow down the scroll speed on my mouse then...

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So me and the OH still have a 'bug'.

Neither of us have tested positive for COVID (not sure how good they are on new variants) but have been bad for over a week.

OH has had a chesty cough, me a splitting headache, both absolutely battered. No temperature though. Neither felt this bad since when we had COVID (which makes me think it may be as we have different symptoms). Odd one anyway.

Anyway, had to knock a trip down south to the coast on the head. Can't really risk taking anything into the care home to see my gran even if we did feel up to the travel (about 6-7 hours one way).

So yeah, missed trip, lost money, feeling crap. Super.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That sounds utterly shite, mate. Here's hoping you both recover soon.

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

Cheers mate. Doesn't feel as bad as COVID last year but it's just the timing and it's dragging, just dragging.

Ah well, so long as that's the only trip buggered this year - frickin annoying though as I rarely see the southern section of my family very often.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm just coming out of having a bug / cold after 3 weeks, I can't remember the last time I was ill, managed to avoid covid all together, but 3 weeks of 24/7 headaches is a smidge draining.

12. adidan

Wonder what the hell it is? Thankfully my headache's not as bad as it was but it must be about a week long now - not had that before.

Glad you're seeing the end of it.

mrlongbeard likes this.
  13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I hate work but haven't kept up with my personal development enough to easily get a job that pays the same elsewhere. Cost of living means I can't afford a paycut.

It being entirely my own doing just makes it that much worse.

14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

After a neighbor backed into my motorbike last week ... broke the exhaust . Putting new one on Sunday .. i crossed threaded the thread inside the head putting it back on. Furious was putting it midly.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Know that feeling dude :grr:

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh boy, I just love resolving issues with a brittle framework that’s hideously complex and written by people who no longer work here so I can’t ask them for support. Especially when it takes over three hours to find a possible solution and involves a two and a half hour video call between four people.

Well, it’s not like I had ACTUAL WORK to do today because I’m gonna be off for the rest of the week and have stuff to finish off before COP.

17. adidan

I was with you upontil this point but I thought you were talking about getting out of bed in the morning.

perplekks45, IanW, Arboreal and 3 others like this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I mean... it can be both...

adidan likes this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Took yesterday, today, and tomorrow off to work on assignments. I am sick of the sight of VSCode but I still have basically an entire data science project to do and about 2 weeks to do it.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have a smart doorbell. I have a thing in every room I'm likely to be in which notifies me when you ring it. I have a smartphone in my pocket which also notifies me when you ring it, in case I'm not there. I can even see you through it and talk to you. There's a sign on the wall that says "PLEASE RING DOORBELL" in all-caps.

So, Mr. DHL driver, please RING THE EFFIN' DOORBELL instead of gently brushing your knuckles against the door then marking me as "not home." I was home. I'm sat in the garden office, WAITING FOR MY BLOODY DELIVERY.

Furrfu.

EDIT:
    I had just written this and submitted a redelivery request for Tuesday, and a DHL email appeared. "Your parcel has been delivered."

Not sure if he got a notification about the redelivery request or what, but it looks like he'd turned 'round and put the parcel in the parcel box on the doorstep as requested. So, I've got my parcel - yay!

Still didn't ring the doorbell, mind...

IanW likes this.