1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Justice Department halts record label investigation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Dec 2003.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

From ZDNet :

Yeah, or the regulators all got paid off like Senator Berman. :miffed: As someone who has spent time personally debating with RIAA execs, their arrogance never fails to astound me. You can read the full story at http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39118776,00.htm .

Trying to stand up the rights and beliefs of average people on this matter is getting increasingly :wallbash: . Thank goodness for the Apple iPod...this Christmas, more and more people wil realise the value of MP3, and the utter lunacy of the industry's stance on it.

2. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

screw "legal lines" its all a bunch of BS. The record companies need to change their ways.

3. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

If they just weren't so greedy they would be rolling in it.. even more so. If CD's were $5's each, it wouldn't be worth the time to download it, convert it, and burn it to CD. Most of the money that they get from selling CD's as well go's to the fleet of high level exec's and lawyers who are all completely unneccesary to the music industry. If they just trimmed to fat, they'd all be too rich to care if people were downloading anything. Plus it would get more money to the artists without having to PAY them more, because volume would go up 10 fold.

4. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Damn Right! If cd's where $5 instead of $25+ I would buy a hellava lot more, so would the rest of the world, imo. If they just took a momentary pay-cut and paid the artists the same they would win in the end.

5. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

And you get your CD's where? :eyebrow: I've never paid over $20, ever.

6. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

I usually pay $15 dollars a cd [american] -- That is still pretty steep; i mean thats 2 - 3 hours of work for most people (before good ol' american taxes) It simply doesn't cost that much to make a CD and everything we are paying for really doesn't even go into the artists hands. I buy CDs for bands i really like, I am not going to spend my hard earned money though on a CD for a band that im not really sure about yet. Thats why MP3s are so popular.

7. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I like the artist to recieve money for his/her work, but when they own multiple multi-million dollar houses and they aren't even getting the bulk of the profit, it makes you wonder.

8. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

most of the money they make is from concerts and merchandising..... which nobody really pirates.... so... how exactly are we hurting the artists?

note: if i never downloaded my first few green day mp3s, i never woulda bought their cds, or seen them in concert--- i think mp3s are good in that respect.

9. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

From the cheap places the "main" cd places charge $30+ Aus.

10. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Oh, I thought you meant United States dollars. Makes more sense now ;).

11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

But if they trim the fat, there will be even more extraneous lawyers roaming the world. They would have to go for frivolous lawsuits, like people who got fa... I mean people whose body mass increased due to excess consumption of fast food. And somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the whole piracy thing about them (the recording industry) not making enough of a profit? I mean, they still are profitable, just not as much as they would like, correct?

12. vs9

vs9 What's a Dremel?

who was it that said "Kill alll the Lawyers"?

13. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I think americans as a whole are getting to greedy, and when they see the 17 million + kazaa users who probably average a few hundred mp3's a pop they see lots of $$$ Never mind the reason people are driven to download is excessively high priced music terrible liscensing etc. Ahh well, the music I download you can't even buy in stores infact I went to the virgin super store in LA and I could find only 1 cd I wanted and its was 22$!!

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

85% of my entire music collection doesn't even exist in stores, period. And thats a lot of music. I've bought a bounch of cd's after hearing their songs on mp3 format that I otherwise would never of bought. And if you average that each cd is about 2 cents worth of plastic, and takes about 5 seconds to produce one single cd, thats a markup of what, $14 american including the packaging, shipping, and handling? (baised upon a $15 cd) Thats just a bit outragious for my buck thanks.

Tags: Add Tags