1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks IPX Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SiliconHell, 17 Dec 2003.

1. SiliconHell

SiliconHell What's a Dremel?

My friend and I are trying to play Homeworld 2 over a IPX but we can't detect each other. Doesn't matter which of us creates the game , we just can't find each others games. We can find each other through network neighbourhood , and can transfer files. As far as we know , we have all the right protocols for IPX , but it doesn't work. He is on Win ME , im on XP Home ... any ideas ?

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Sorry, I don't remember the addressing style for IPX, though I should since I have my ccna LOL

I had to go around on all the computers at one of my lan parties and give each computer a unique ipx address. then starcraft worked just fine. Since then we have updated starcraft to use tcp/ip instead. now none of need the ipx installed, and we have all since uninstalled it.

If I get some time in the next few hours, I'll figure it out for ya.

3. ChriX

ChriX ^

I used to have to setup this when I used to play Red Alert 2 over the LAN. I just made sure the settings on each computers IPX protocol were the same and it used to work with a bit of fiddling. Don't use it anymore but I can remember the frame type always used to be 802.3 or something :)

4. spirp

spirp What's a Dremel?

IPX uses the hardware address for addressing (in a Ethernet this is the MAC-address). All there should be to it is to ensure both machines has the same settings, and that no equipment filtering out IPX packets is situated in between the the two computers. If it doesn't work, try removing any protocols installed on the two computers (such as TCP/IP) and see if you still can find each other in your "Network Neightbourhood" (not sure really what that is though, I guess it's some windows-feature? :)

good luck!

5. jake

jake Network Gawd

Chrix is probably on the right track. Frame types are the normal reason ipx stations can't talk to each other if all the other networking companents are working. IIRC windows usually sets the frame type to auto-detect and this leads to problems. Try going into the ipx protocol settings and making sure the frame types are identical - it doesn't actually matter which one you use so long aqs it;s the same on both machines. "Proper" novell would use 802.2 for versions >4 [and some 3.12 versions] or 802.3 for 3.11 and below but generally speaking I use ethernet II to keep it all in the same frame type as IP.

J

6. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Interesting I have played HW2 over a LAN very very recently and I dont even have IPX/SPX installed. I would use TCP/IP.

Tags: