1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nic...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Highland3r, 29 Dec 2003.

1. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

After reading yodas overcloking doo dah, I noticed the bit about the NIC being the "weak link" in incresed FSBs...
    A question, if i chnaged my NIC for a USB network jobby (not sure how it works, but you get 10/100 network via a USB adpater thingy) could FSB be increased?..
    Sure when tested before the OC was higher without the NIC in, but would the USB thingy be viable solution? Also, recently dropped the FSB from 180 to 170 due to 3dmark issues which could be due to hdd crappgae, is this likely?
    Cheers :D

2. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

Depends whether its usb2 or not. Usb 1.1 was supposed to be higherr than the 800 - 1000K??? However I cant see it doing the 8-9 meg/sec that you expect from 10/100
    Hd crappage? 3DMark doesnt touch the HD when its running.

You kind of need a bit more infor in the post - such as what mobo you are running. Not all suffer from lack of locked PCI bus.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Ok cheers m8 :D
    No pci/agp lock (kt333 mobo) gave errors about not being able to find a texture set or summit... Backed down FSB and all was fine... so assumed it was the hdd as never had the problems with the old one (40gb western digital)

4. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

get a board based on the kt400A chipset

your ide bus is clocked too high, if butcher sees this post he will tell you about this, he clocked it too high and got data corruption and had to reinstall windows :lol:

5. HellDiver

HellDiver What's a Dremel?

KT400A? It doesn't have a PCI lock either. In fact, I'd say the KT333 is a better chipset by far.

You're mad overclocking AMD on anything other than nForce2. nF2 has AGP and PCI locks, and overclocks like a demon.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

the KT600 is a good chipset, much improved over the KT400/KT400a, it's alright for overclocking, but you're limited to a certain extent by dividers.

I'd go with an nForce2 board over a via for a socket A based system if you're looking to overclock.

7. Fraggster

it doesnt? then im hella ocing the pci bus and memory which Im am not, so................

8. Butcher

Butcher What's a Dremel?

Haha yea I overclocked to 154 FSB (double Pumped) (308 FSB) and i got data corruption wouldnt boot into XP or anything else.

9. HellDiver

HellDiver What's a Dremel?

...the program that's telling you you're not overclocking the PCI bus is wrong.

KT400, KT400A and KT600 DO NOT have a locked PCI bus. Period.

10. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

If it seems stable at 170fsb, then I say leave it at that. You'll only loose 100 - 150 mhz and 30 - 40 fsb. Whilst you wont break any OC speed records, its not going to make a huge much diference. NForce 2 boards come with other benifits sound as the low CPU dependancy etc - so there will be a genuine difference to games, but tbh if you dont have the cash lying around for an £85 NF7s then tbh you are better off leaving it as it is.

11. Fraggster

dividers maybe? stock is 133 and im at 180 :(

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Bah this board kicks ass, not getting changed yet.. Does everything required of it, dont see any point in Nforce as of yet until it dies totally... getting 2600 mb/s mem bacndwidth which is plenty and the CPU will clock higher as well.... </defence of kt333 chipset> anyways will go 64bit in the summer so upgrade is pointless now....

Just wondered if an external ethernet jobby may help improve fsb a little...