1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epiphany *update 16/1/2004 -panel cut*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Naked_Dave, 4 Jan 2004.

1. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Project epiphany is the second of two rackmount mod projects, the first being redemption, a game server. They're both designed around a dark, almost evil theme, quite different from the hi-tech look that seems to be most popular on sites like this one. All lighting in this project will be red, provided by LEDs, possibly from a luxeon.

Well heres a quick design i did in sketchup (thanks for various people for the components) which shows how it should look when finished. Its a 4U case.

[​IMG]

The on button will use a Q-Prox QT110 instead of a mechanical button, so you should only need to touch the plexi to turn the computer on.

As for the spec, i'm thinking of using an Athlon64 3000, but it depends on how easily i can get a compatible waterblock...

--------------------------------------------------------
    Project Log
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Day one - The front fans

Well i went out to PC world yesterday hoping to pick up a few things i needed for this project and a few others, and naturally found hardly any of it :rolleyes:. Ah well, at least i got the fans, so i can get started on something. Just a couple of generic own brand 120mms... First thing to do was to strip them down.
    [​IMG]
    Next i painted the blades to the colour i thought would look best with the red lighting i'm going to be putting in them. Thats copper in case its hard to see in the pic. The paint quality isn't great, because i had to do it by hand, but it looks ok from the front.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to get to a maplin and get the components i need to get them lit. The lighting for both fans will be powered from a module featuring a 555 timer, that will fade them in and out every 3 seconds or so.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2004
  2. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Evil doth dare to shew its hideous face upon this forum!

Nice work so far... I likes it...
    make the led's do a fade in/out with the occasional sputtering flicker...

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Re: Epithany *work started finally*

Do you mean that the actual fans will have power applied through the 555, so that they rev up and down every few secs, or do you mean to light them with LEDs faded through a 555 timer circuit?

Looking good so far.

Mod on... :dremel:

4. Naked_Dave

Oops, i meant just the lighting!

I just placed the order for the case, so in a couple of days i should be able to start on the real work. God bless unemployment!

Last edited: 5 Jan 2004
  5. Naked_Dave

Unfortunately it looks like the pulsing lighting will have to be scrapped... turns out i don't still have the plans for that afterall, and i can't be bothered to design it again :rolleyes:

6. r00t

r00t What's a Dremel?

I know of a product that will pulse the led's for you. It was made by 5fame a couple years back. It had settings for different speeds and multiple leds. I used to have one, it's probably still lying around somewhere.

7. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Nice so far, should have a very good outcome. Keep up the patient, hard work, and we should have a winner.

8. Naked_Dave

Also put in an order for a black-ice radiator to go with the crappy watercooling kit i bought months ago from maplin... who knows, maybe it will even work! :rolleyes:

9. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Looks interesting, I like the rackmount concept. Nice job on those blades too.

10. Naked_Dave

As soon as my domain comes online, i'll get another update done...

11. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

paint job alright....look sgreat to me!!!!!
    like the plexi button idea that should be interesting. How do those things works?

12. Naked_Dave

Just a quick update on the fan grills :

As with Redemption, i'm using B&Q steel wire mesh to make the grills. If you've never used this stuff before, DON'T! It rusts before your eyes, i swear! :eeek: Ah well, it looks pretty good when its painted!

The grill was measured to size, then cut with a dremel. I'd forgotten how much of a pain this stuff is to cut, since its so hard to clamp!

[​IMG]

When that was done, i quickly sprayed them with a grey basecoat, then matt black. No between-coats sanding for these babies :rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After a couple of hours they were ready to test. Should look pretty good behind the front panel of the case, i think.

[​IMG]

13. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Those fans are looking sweet as! I really like the concept, as the silver towers are getting a little samey... :lol:

14. Naked_Dave

A slightly blurry photo of redemption (the first in the series)

[​IMG]

15. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Which case are you using to mod ?

Or did you make the entire case ?

16. Naked_Dave

The case is just a rackmount project case from maplin.

Here

17. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Does it have enough depth to contail the motherboard and all the assorted stuff that needs to go in ?

18. Naked_Dave

Yeah, the 4U case i'm using for this case isn't actually much more shallow than your average mid-tower.

19. Naked_Dave

I've added a few of the less important mods to the worklog at www.naked-dave.com if anyone wants to see them.

20. Naked_Dave

Just a quick update...

The case arrived today! Now i can get started properly. Thats a full size cd in the pic, to give you an idea of the scale.

[​IMG]