1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's answer to the iPod?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 6 Jan 2004.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From the Seattle Post:

Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs was asked during a November meeting with analysts whether the company would ever make its iPod music player work directly with something other than its iTunes Music Store.

There was a noticeable sense of accomplishment in his voice when he answered. First he pointed out the dominant market position achieved by the iPod. Then he noted that the iTunes store had just captured more than 80 percent of the market for legally downloaded music.

"Why should we work with another music store when we're working with the Microsoft of music stores?" he asked, getting a burst of laughter from those around him.

Jobs was referring to the dominance achieved by Microsoft's Windows operating system on PCs. But more than delivering a competitive jab, his answer underscored the situation in which Apple finds itself -- as the market leader in music downloads and portable music players.

More here...

Sure... why not? Microsoft has jumped into the console gaming venue with the xBox, why not release a portable music player. With thier "trusted computing" model along with their superior Windows Media technology, I'm sure that there won't be any issues for the end user to content with.
    [/end sarcasm]

I'm going to jumnp out on a limb and assume that this thing will be powered by a version of Windows CE. My question is when do you all think that there will be a virus out for this thing? What about spyware and adware?

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jan 2004
  2. sexykitten

sexykitten We love Jaz

this really is old news, steve jobs isn't very uptodate i'm suprised this even made news, anyone who knows anything about the computing world and MS technologies knows that Media2Go is MS's project, however the name has changed.

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

The whole point about Jobs being mentioned is that he an Apple are in an odd position - at the top of the tree for once. And the article states that Media2Go is an MS project. You did read it, right? ;)

The relevent paragraph:

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Since Apple claim to have the largest market share etc perhaps MS should sue them for having a monopoly?

Its worked for other companies agasint MS

Nikumba

Tags: Add Tags