1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Electronics Project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pigcow, 2 Jan 2004.

1. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

Hi all i do AS level electronics at the mo and i need to start an electronics project this january. does anyone have any ideas that could be good? it has to have roughly 2 chips so i can assess subsystems^^ thx

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

3. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I'v got an idea;
    Make a GLCD-lpt interface, using;
    a SED1351
    64K of SRAM
    a PIC16F887
    And a GLCD
    Some datasheets and info here

And when you're done, you post everything here, including a PCB, schematics and PIC prog....

All this, becouse i'm lazy, so you do all the work for me.. :D

Nah, really;
    make something that most people can use..
    The Young Electronic Designer Awards 2003;
    The one thet won, made some slippers, with weight sensor cells in them, so you coud see how much load you where bearing...

and the runner up of the "over 18 category" made a simple "hand-eye co-ordination tester" you can make this with 1 pic..

so... my tip; ask someone, if you can, ask 2-3 persons in the 16-20 year range, and someone that's 40-50, what they coud like of a electronic thing....

and something i came up with now..; phone for the blind... you coud use a sound-module, that reads out the nubers, as they press a button, and says the name of the one calling (if they are listed in the "phone-book" that is..

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Yeh going for devices for the "differnantly not abled" does make the write up easyer. You can say about how the design has to be able to work with their specail needs until u've covered every point in the marc scheme

5. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Off topic:

Alekoy, here is what you asked for:

http://www.siielectroniccomponents.com/lcd/products/graphic_mods/pdf/g325e.pdf

Halfway through has the PCB design for SED1330 (any SED133X or S1D13XX should be the same pinout). Also, has the connections for the external memory and LCD driving voltage generator. Im thinking of building myself this in the farther future. Too many projects going right now. Have that Sony color LCD in the mail, doing testing on peripherals for a very advanced PIC controlled fan controller, building a PLD programmer, yada yada yada.

6. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

thx for the replies, there are some good ideas here. still undecided and have little time left. originally i thought about making a decibel meter or luminous intensity meter but found this wouldnt be too good =(

7. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

the simplest project that got an A when we did our AS projects was a graphic equaliser, a simple ciruite of 12 op-amps, as comparitors, with 12 leds (2 red, 4 amber, 6 green), and that got an A by writing up every point in the marc scheme, and by writing endless pages talking about op-amp calculations.

8. Pandalet

Pandalet What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: The feminine form of Sir is Ma'am!! NOT Miss!!

I teach at a London college, so I get called Miss a lot - one of my pet gripes :blush:

*ahem* returning you to your regular discussion now...

9. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

i have had an idea. i could do an LED chaser but with more than the 8 or 10 LED's that the 4017 can provide. I thought about somehow cascading 2 or 3 4017's so that i could have up to 30 LED's but then wouldnt that just mean i'd have 3 LED's on at once? i want only 1 LED on at a time but to have up to 30 or so LED's max. How would this be done? i dont really want to use pic's because it is easier to stay clear of them. Thx

10. Pandalet

Pandalet What's a Dremel?

actually, cascading 4017s (and, coincidently, 4022s) in a non-decimal (or octal) way is pretty simple. By this, I mean building one counter that has, say, 30 outputs, instead of doing multiple digits (i.e. the first counter is the units, the next one is the tens, then the hundreds, and so on - going up in powers of 10), which is even easier (just connect the carry on each chip to the clock on the next one). In short, yes :lol:

Essentially, what you do is:

[​IMG]

Note that you only get 9 outputs from the first 4017 and 8 from each of the rest. If you need an explanation, yell and I'll provide one.

Sorry for the quality - I just ran this off in M$ Pain(t) :wallbash:

11. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

hmm i kinda see how it works but wwhy are the resets tied directly to each output? also, wont that just produce a one way chase. the link above has used diodes to form whats essentially OR gates to produce the back and fourth chase. i assume this could be done in a similar way to the way you have knocked up? thx
    Edit : constructed circuit in croc technology and nothing =( . i took circuit from above and used its 555 timer to produce the clock. hooked up your bit but only the first 4017 had a pulse getting to it. the others were just doing nothing

Last edited: 8 Jan 2004
  12. Hazer

:waah: :waah: :waah:

So much can be done with a Pic. Its easy...cheap....free software.......and I thought I was helping people to do their own thing (look at my sig).

13. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

yea well i could do it with 1 pic, but i would get very few marks because there are no cub systems etc. thats why i want to go for the usual approach, to score well. i have found a couple of chasing circuits that use 74154's but im not sure if i should use it opposed to the 4017. if i can get a working 4017 chaser with many LED's, then that would be a better way to make it work
    Edit : I definately want to use 4017s. i made the counter count in powers of 10 but this is cimpletely useless so i will need a working large output counter. i had a go at tweaking your circuit but didnt have aany luck =( do you see anything that could be wrong with it?

Last edited: 9 Jan 2004
  14. Hazer

If you need subsytems: A PIC16F630 driving 8 74HC259 addressable latches through a 3:8 74HC138 demux for a total of 8x8 = 64 individual outputs for an LED chaser. All done with a 14 pin PIC. Total cost for parts less than $5USD (not including LEDs) and the code is EXTREMELY easy.

15. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

hmm i know quite a bit about electronics but that last post has thrown me^^

16. Hazer