1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A7N8X Raptor Raid problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iamwhoiam, 6 Jan 2004.

1. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam What's a Dremel?

I recently installed 2 raptors on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. However, when on boot, after the Award bios screen (showing cpu, memory etc) it displays the Silicon SATA Bios showing the two drives, with a message "Incomplete raid set: press <CTRL>+S or F4 to enter raid utility" - Upon doing so, there is the error message "No drives detected, press any key to continue". The computer then proceeds to boot up on my ATA100 HDD connected as Master IDE1. In the operating system, the disk management utility in windows xp does not show any signs of a SATA drive. I am using uberbios 1.0.0.7 with windows drivers 1.00.40. The SATA jumper is set to enabled.

Thanks, Andy

2. iamwhoiam

3. iamwhoiam

Right some more information-

My A7N8X shows no sign of any SATA settings in the main BIOS. After BIOS has completed half its post (eg after the CPU/Memory/Award bios's first screen).. It shows this:

Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility
    0 WDC36GD-00FNA0OGP 35156 MB
    1 WDC36GD-00FNa0OGP 35156 MB

Incomplete Raid Set! Please press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter Raid Utility

>>>here, I hit Ctrl+S or F4 and I get....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incomplete Raid Set! Please press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter Raid Utility
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>i hit F4 again and I get

No device detected, Utility disabled!
    Press any key to continue....

When I use Wester Digital's DLG Diagnostic Utility (text based version 5.03, not the gui based latest version 11 which doesn't detect anything). It can see the drives. When I run Quick&Extended tests, the drives pass - However, when I select the option "Write Zeros To Hard Drive", the program after 5 minute of inactivity (progress bar doesn't move) displays the following "Error - IRQ Timeout : Error - 0112"

4. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I have the same mobo/drives setup as you do and it was working fine until I put in some new SATA cables.
    Originally I was using the 2 red ones that came with the mobo, but I bought a pair of Akasa silver SATA cables so they would match the rest of my exiting cables.
    As soon as I turned it on I got the same error.
    Both drives were detected but it kept saying the raid set was incomplete!
    I swopped back to the main cables and it worked perfectly.

I wonder if its possible you have a faulty cable?

I`ll have a look to see how my BIOS is set on mine after work.

5. iamwhoiam

I'm using asus's red cables that came with the motherboard... surely not both cables are faulty? :eek:

6. iamwhoiam

Ok been racking my brain for a few days now this! I have posted this also at the amdmb forums and have come up with this list of posts (sorry if it might sound strange, as they're just copied and pasted from lots of my replies)...

Power and Data lines are all triple checked! Using the raptor's molex power connectors, jumpers set between 1+2 = default. Drives also do not appear usable singularly/individually

The drives were in a previous RAID0 configuration. I don't think they were unmounted from it properly and hence the MBR or something is messing up. Just a guess...?

Problem is, I can't find any suitable partition program to fix the MBR, or even detect the drives... I have tried Windows 98's FDISK, Partition Magic 8 (win and dos versions), and Disk Management in windows XP. None of them can even see the drive. The only program other than the bios that can see the drives is Western Digital's DLG Diagnostic Tool 5.03 (which is an old version, the newest version [v11] can't even see the drive!). With DLG5.03 I can see the drive's CHS settings, serial number, capacity and model number - even I/O address!

Do you think I will have to send them back to Western Digital under the 5year warranty for a repartition or something?

So far I have tried:
    Drives connected individually - no change
    Both drives connected, even swapped the channels to see if it might help - no change
    Drives connected with the ATA drives disconnected - no change,
    Bios reset to default - no change
    Western Digital's Windows based DLG Diagnostic tools v11 - undetectable
    Western Digital's DOS based DLG Diagnostic tools v11 - undetectable
    Western Digital's DOS based DLG Disagnotic utility v 5.03 - detected drives, passed quick and extended tests, cannot "write all zeros to drive" - IRQ Timeout - Error 0112
    Partition with Win98's FDISK - undetectable drive
    Partition with Partition Magic 8 - undetectable drive
    Absolutely undetectable from Windows XP (using latest .40 sil raid controller drivers)
    Booted from WD's 5.03DLG boot disk, and used Win98's FDISK - still undetectable
    Jumpers in - no change
    Jumpers out - no change

My system specs are:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2
    AMD Barton 2500 @ 3200 (2.2ghz)
    Geil PC 3500 512MB x1 Ram
    Western Digital Caviar 8mb SE ATA100 80GB (WDC800JB)
    Seagate Barracude 5200rpm ATA100 40GB
    Western Digital Raptor SATA150 36GB x 2 - Non working
    Nvidia FX5200 128mb in AGP
    Onboard Soundstorm sound system enabled, dual lan enabled, usb 1.1+2 enabled
    LiteOn CDRW
    Samsung DVDRom
    80mm Fans x 5
    Enermax 460W Active PSU (dual fan, total system fans = 7)

I know its not a power issue because the system runs fine minus the raptors on an Enermax 350W PSU.

Ok I have tried almost every partition program
    Fdisk, Fdisk for FreeDOS, XFdisk, Partition Magic 8, and none of them can see the drives...

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

p.s. I will go buy new SATA cables from (eek) PCworld to see if thats the cure, if not then PCworld have a nice money bank guarantee policy :)

7. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Only one of my cables was faulty which caused my problem...

8. iamwhoiam

Change cables, nothing ... sent them back to pcworld for a refund :*(

This problem is driving me nuts!

9. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Have you tried putting the two raptors into another working A7N8X Deluxe? That way you might be able to enter the RAID utility and repair the drives? If you havent got access to another A7n8X i suggest that you return the motherboard and get another one, as it seems that one is faulty.