1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Y2k-bug - Repaired again...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mashie, 25 May 2003.

1. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The problem with distilled water is that it doesn't stay that way for long :lol:

2. mashie

mashie The one and only

Time for another repair update:

[​IMG]

The rear panel got the balsa patches trimmed to size ready to be painted on the sides and inside.

[​IMG]

The new pumpbase made out of epoxy has been cut and drilled so it is ready to use now.

[​IMG]

The upper baseplate is drilled and painted, must say it seems better than it did new...

[​IMG]

Got a tricky problem, the two M3 threaded holes at the back of the PSU became clean holes when the screws were ripped out. The solution was to fill the two corners behind the screwholes with Milliput, you can almost see it at the two top corners in the pic.

[​IMG]

When the Milliput was all set it didn't take long to drill and make new threads with a tap.

[​IMG]

Advanced bug surgery, I used the viewhole technique for the broken legs. A hole was drilled straight through the break surface in the epoxy core side the outer plastic tube. Then it was filled with some new fresh epoxy and was worked in properly by moving the broken piece back and forward. When done steelwire was used to keep the legs in the position.

Now it isn't much left to do before the assembly. The mobo and videocard will be tested when it is all put back together again. Let's keep the fingers crossed they still work...

Btw regarding the water, I can't find any stains on any PCB which is a good sign.

3. Pistol

Pistol Guest

*big sigh of relief*

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

yeh, no water leaks on the mobo/agp card :lol:

Nice work getting it back

5. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

I wanted to post earlier but I couldn't due to obvious reasons :hehe:

Really sorry about what happend, but glad you got it back and you are getting it back on its feet :D

Keep up the good work dude :thumb:

6. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

monster case mod dude :rock:

and look on the lighter side of things, if it wasnt for AA you wouldnt get to play with it again :D

hope it all comesout alright again! :thumb:

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Good to see she's coming back together again! After you get theis bug unsqushed, it's time to start submitting to mod contests!

8. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

thats a damn shame, there really should be a decent kind of code for the requirements of shipping, consumer guarrantees and legal obligations - seems like the american companies have it the worst... thats just awful mashie, i can just imagine the anguish you must have felt when you saw it, and the words you must have said :sigh:

9. mashie

mashie The one and only

If it wasn't for AA I had started the next project by now ;)

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I belive that so long as thre is no residue, you *should* be OK. The only thing in the water for the system was the dye because you started with distilled water right?

As for shipping, UPS next time? At least if they transport it, they can be held accountable for damage.

11. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good once agian :dremel:

12. mashie

mashie The one and only

I'm posting this from a bug lite, only the legs, PC hardware and watercooling is installed so far.

The first casualty for this accident has been found, the beloved 9800pro has gone bye bye :waah:

13. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: well done AA huh :|

14. mashie

mashie The one and only

Finally time for some good news. The bug has been repaired!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only visual difference now is that the gfx isn't watercooler. I didn't see any reason to watercool the temp ATI 9700 pro when a 9800 XT will show up from the great guys at ATI any day now. The XT will remain aircooled.

15. Chief752

Chief752 What's a Dremel?

Great job on the restoration Mashie. Good to see you were able to get everything back. Can't even tell it's ever been damaged! :thumb:

16. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

Woot!!

I've got to tell you how much I respect your work, both originally and in dealing with the shipping incident. I think I would have just salvaged whatever components I could and moved on to something else :wallbash: . But you deserve all the props in the world for your stick-to-it-ness. :rock:

17. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

Thats dedication to work and project, serious respect goes out to you :rock:. Glad you have not let this "incident" dampen your moddin enthusiasm. Great to see it back in fully working order :D!
    Now you can start your next project .... *hint* *hint* ;)
    Respect again :rock:

-cLoWn

18. Fluba

Fluba What's a Dremel?

whats your legal position on this btw? can you sue? will you sue? i'd sue ;)

19. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Congrats on both managing make my favourite 'mod' of all time... twice, and also not killing the baggage handlers from the airline!

20. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

It looks like the patient has recevored nicely! When I first saw this case I was so amazed that I had to tell everyone about it. Even those that don't understand why people do this kind of stuff thought that it was the coolest thing they ever saw. Some of them started paying attention to sites like this a little more. Anyway Great job on the fix and keep up the great work!! :thumb: :thumb: