1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"THE RIG" A SoulsEnd project (update 1-25-04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SoulsEnd, 12 Jan 2004.

1. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

can't wait to see how this turns out!
    looks great so far!!
    :thumb:

2. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

very nice, lookign forward to seeing more :D

3. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

I like that lcd on your old case.. I had been thinking of doing something like that.. I might just have to do it now :p

4. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

yeh the screen is dope. :rock: very inspiring. :D

5. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

it is going to be awsome case man :thumb: I want more :)

6. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Cant' wait to the next update :thumb:
    And really nice idea to place that screen there :rock:

7. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

Hey SoulsEnd long time no see!! looks like you got a sweet-a$$ mod your making, like a super sized version of your awesome Lian-Li case with the LCD! I'm gonna have to subscribe to this thread :clap: hope to talk to you again soon :D

-Vcdman (if you still cant remember me, im from msn msger)

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

This Project looks to be sweet, and would look uber sweet if there's just a bulgin on the center of one ofthe panels, and when it's pushed, the panel hydrolically drops, with a Kb and mouse ON it, and the LCD slowly rises from the top. Bonus points for a vapour accompanying it.

/subscribed!

9. SoulsEnd

SoulsEnd What's a Dremel?

Minor update:::

Had one of those days where you feel as though you did a lot but yet nothing got completely accomplished. :wallbash:

UPS dropped off my casters for THE RIG along with the magnetic release for the LCD (no motors or hydraulics...sorry). The LCD will be on slide rails that will manually pull out and flip up. Managed to get a lot of the LCD rail work done along with the slides. About another hour and that portion would be finished but I ran out of steam. So to feed the picture hungry out there…here is some shots of the casters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 3vil-Grin

3vil-Grin What's a Dremel?

WOW...sweet looking casters!! Heavy duty looking but still really nice, great job!!!

and setting up the lcd to come out like that is soooo Sweet!!! Only thing better than that, would be a motorized one like you see car audio rigs/magazines.

Curious is that a Snap-On tool bench?! Only asking b/c my father loves them and buys loads of tools from them.

Anyways cant wait to see more... :rock:

11. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

well the badge on the far right corner of the bench read "snap-on" so yea I'd say it is a snap-on bench :D

Looking real nice! I really like the sliding monitor thing ya got going there..
    Can I have it when you are done building it?? :naughty:
    J/K Keep up the great work

12. MaxPOwer

MaxPOwer What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome man! I loved seeing your other case in person, pictures don't do it justice! I saw it when you can to a Lan in my area, Synergy in Kalamazoo in September. Hopefully you can make it over here with that rig sometime!

13. Sir Overclock

Sir Overclock What's a Dremel?

Looking real good man. The sliding LCD is something I have only seen in cars, but puting them in a pc, great idea! But what I would like to know is what will be shown on the LCD? will it just act as a monitor?

:thumb:

14. SoulsEnd

Heading to the Ballroom Blitz in Battle Creek this weekend but this one wont be ready. Will be bringing "teaser" back though. :sigh:

15. SoulsEnd

Considering its going to be a small LAN parties central hub it will be showing mostly dedicated server info. The purpose of THE RIG is roll it into a lan, everyone plugs into the onboard switch and away you go. No extra monitors, cables, switches, hubs ect...all included in one cube. :hip:

16. MaxPOwer

MaxPOwer What's a Dremel?

Yup, Ill be there. Are group is looking to win the BF tourney. Im actually part of Boxheads, which merged with {Easy_Co} (www.theBoxheads.com). I sat behind you at Synergy and I was actually gonna email you about coming to our event in Feburary. Hopefully ill see ya there on Saturday! I can't wait to drool on your case some more! :thumb:

17. SoulsEnd

LCD update

Just like a kid on Christmas morning who got a new skateboard and was testing it out in the family room while still in his pajamas, I had to see how the casters would look well before it was time to install them....

[​IMG]

I must admit I’m pretty please with the look they give the hollow gutted cube at this point. :baby:
    On to the LCD...
    Finished attaching the stationary rails that the LCD will slide in. I know someone will add “why not use some roller bearing draw slides…ect…” Answer, because this way works and slides with very little resistance. Also the bearing slides I saw were very bulky and didn’t come in a short enough length for my application. The Sliding rail assembly consists of two L aluminum brackets connected to a center aluminum sheet. This is what will support the LCD when it’s fully extended and flipped up for viewing pleasure. You will notice I choose not to bore you with to many picts of me drilling and measuring and re-drilling.

Cutting the center support for the two L bracket slide rails.

[​IMG]

The center support attached to the two L brackets and hinges installed.
    [​IMG]
    BOTTOM (those bolts will be shortened)
    [​IMG]

The slide-assembly positioned into the stationary rails.

[​IMG]

The LCD attached to the hinges.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Extended

[​IMG]

Flipped up and at rest…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next on my hit list…building the elevated motherboard support system. (if I don’t change my mind, which is very likely)

18. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

How is that 14" LCD btw?

I saw one in Best Buy and figured it's perfect for a good, cheap, and space saving dual-tower quad monitor setup.

Yeh, two computers with two monitors each, fyi. Each tower on one shelf.

19. SoulsEnd

The first one sucked....Was dead on arrival. But after getting a fresh one from Best Buy it has worked fine and has a pretty nice picture. For what it will be used for, it should do just fine.

20. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

Looks great... im sure you gonna do something about the LCD not getting scratched more on the rails ?

I wish i had all more time, money, equipement and ... mad skillz :rock: :rock: :rock:

PTK