1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding has anyone made something like this? 150" tv

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sord_Fish, 30 Dec 2003.

1. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

These theatre lights I use at college use fresnel lenses, but I think that they're actually the most expensive part- Example- a 'PAR 64' case costs about £30. The PAR 64 lens is about £60-£80. Bling Bling.

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

My mate and I bought a couple of the lenses off ebay for about £7 just cos we wanted to have a go... didn't seem like too much money to piss away.

I, of course, never got around to it, but Phil made one and said it worked.... kinda.
    It's pretty poor, but it does work. For a few quid what do you expect. If all you want is a massive image, go for it. Just don't expect any kind of decent quality.

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Yours actually looks fairly good coolmeister :thumb: :dremel:

4. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Actualy that sounds like a great idea.
    As you would not have to flip the monitor over, just use a graphics card that allows flipping of the image.

coolmiester, was that your own made one?

5. jace055

jace055 What's a Dremel?

My roommate and I made one with a monitor. We used an old video card so we couldn't filp the image with the driver and turning the monitor upside down didn't work. We reversed the coils on the monitor so the image was upside down. It wasn't as hard as it sounds. you open the monitor and switch 2 wires no soldering needed and put it back together. He posted here about it. Bit-Tech link

I still have the monitor but I dont have he cardboard projector. It worked but not very good with cardboard. the lens as to be parallel with the monitor tube for a crisp picture. Cardboard won't hold a shape like that but light guage wood would do. The monitor has to be bright and the room has to be dark. I played the original wolfenstien 3d on my laptop with an external monitor (for projection) in my laundry room for about 2 hours. So even with a fuzzy crappy picture is was worth it to me.

DON"T BUY ONE FROM EBAY. Untill you go to your local office supply store and look for "sheet magnifers". It might be a little cheaper there. Ill take a few pics of the monitor tonight and what I did to it.

6. gnoff

gnoff What's a Dremel?

that would be great (the monitor thing)! im short of money right now, but ill see if i can buy a lense and build one myself, that would save me alot of trouble getting an actual projector. Also, define a "sofened" image, is it like the colors are more pastel or what?

7. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Naa sorry to disappoint Zap.......i cheated :naughty:

this was actually my old projector set-up alongside my TV

tiz for sale though :lol:

8. zachypoo

zachypoo What's a Dremel?

I was waiting for someone to metion TSS

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

you can also use overhead lcd panels (prolly could make your own) THey throw up very good images so i hear and are a lot less the lcd projectors

10. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Then how was that helpful :sigh:

11. jace055

jace055 What's a Dremel?

Here is how I flipped The image on my monitor.

I am not responsible if you break your monitor or yourself. Monitors are VERY dangerous. Have a certified television repair technician do the work for you.

Find the deflection coils on the back of the monitor. There will be 2 of them, one inside the other, with 2 wires coming out of each. One is the horizontal one is the vertical. These are what "aim" the gun in the tube.
    [​IMG]

On my monitor the wires were green and yellow for one coil and red and blue for the other. What I did was switch the polarity of the coil by switching the wires. If you notice the plug that the wires go into, their order is green, yellow, blue then red. I swapped the green and yellow then the red and blue.
    [​IMG]

The order now is yellow, green, red then blue. This will make the image upside down but right way around.
    [​IMG]

I don't remember if the lens flips the image backwards of not. I did it along time ago. If it does, just flip the vertical coil (was red and blue in my monitor) so it is upside down and backwards. That way the image will be projected rightway around Right-side up. Still with me?

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

now that would be a good prank to mess with an annoying co worker

13. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I used the nvrotate on a friend at a lan party.. I ended up having to fix it.. :lol:
    and at work, my dads boss has a lcd that can be rotate 360*, so I just turned it upside down.. he was mad... I thought it was funny...

14. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

God I'd love to have more info. And some actual pics of the real thing working. I thik the luminosity issue can sorta be fixed: If you use an lcd as the original you can change the backlights. Hard to do cleanly but I'm sure a lot of bit-tech's members (zap acrimonious...)could do a great job at it. So who is up for try??

[edit ]http://groups.msn.com/DiyProjectionTV/shoebox.msnw

Last edited: 15 Jan 2004
  15. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

il just save my money and buy a working high resolution projector

right aftter i win the lotto i want one and if i ever get enought money and get a bigger house il do it seeing a projector cost less then some lcd screens

16. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

How does it work with a normal monitor? I thought you had to use a laptop screen (or similair) with a light behind it, and a lens in front of the screen.
    Or is a monitor bright enough on it's own?

17. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

I got one around Christmas, as someone said before not too expensiv if it doesnt work.

It was crap.

I spent about 30 mins building and postioning etc etc. Was fuzzy to start with so I played about with the focus, and even when its pitch black the image is crap.

Don't get one. Too much messing around. (although I didnt flip my monitor as I just used the nVidea Manager to do it for me. I have since invested in a 26" LCD and a 42" Plasma. And never looked back.

18. barit

barit What's a Dremel?

This listing (3067764792) has been removed by eBay

Looks like Ebay wasnt as impressed as past customers!

19. IcarusCollapse

IcarusCollapse What's a Dremel?

Or it's just from like two years ago. :hehe:

20. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

ive seen some alot better options than this, one wsa getting a over head projector and a lcd screen, laying the screen flat on it so it projects it, alot better picture quality so guides were posted on another forum but its down at the moment so i cant get them