1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks what do i need?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by batsman, 1 Mar 2002.

1. batsman

batsman the quiet one

I am going to be setting up a home network obviusly i need network cards. now i want to go for 100Mbps so i understand a 100Mbps hub/switcher is needed. but with so many to chose what do i need to look for.

do i need any special cables?

I want to be spending £100 tops for the gear for 3 pc's, the hub/switcher i needs to be able to take more than 4 pc's
    any recomendations?

[​IMG]

this is an hub i saw at belkin.com i think it looks quite nice is it any good?

thanks for the help.

2. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

Are you gonna share an internet connection? If so, and it is a highspeed connection, you want something similar to what you shown in those pics, but it is called a router.... then just make sure each PC has a NIC, and install NETBUI and TCP/IP and make sure each computer is on the same Workgroup, and that should be all...

3. batsman

batsman the quiet one

yeah i know what need's to be installed as i have had a few lan's before but they were using BNC cable, and TBase2 connectors.

it will be used to share an ASDL connection.

4. vivid

vivid down in fraggle rock

why bother with a router? i run my modem through a hub and everything works perfectly over the network

5. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

The router is better than a hub ViViD, and the hub doesnt always let you do everything cos of the way you have your proxy set up :p remember the time you tried to send me an mp3 over msn.......and RTT says he has the same problem whenever u try to send anything through the hub......:p it just dont work!

6. RTT

RTT #parp

why bother with a router? coz it means you dont need the PC with the modem connected to it turned on for all the other PCs have access to the net :p

7. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

A router is a far more secure option, because otherwise a shared modem over the network would become insecure, if you were using free shareware software that is, unless you want to shell out on proxy software. My opinion would to be get a router for the reason RTT said above ^.

8. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i take it you can connect the ASDL line directly to the router then and therefore don't have to have the main pc turned on (one with ASDL connection)

9. ocha

ocha Minimodder

yeah thats the one no need for the main PC to be on so everyone gets a connection even if another PC is down. BTW batsman where do you live in kent cos I live in kent to. I live in near Tonbridge u? PM me if thats better

10. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i live near rochester, gunsforshow.

11. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Hey , i live near rochester too. Anyways im getting a Netgear FS105 switch which has 5 10/100 ports one can be used as an uplink, thats if you really need a switch.

12. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

Yeah, if you wanna save some money, what I do mostof the time is simply setup ICS, but you need 2 NIC's or a NIC and a MOdem on 1 PC... and setting up ICS is so simple, but figuring out where to goto do it is the hardest part. But when you see how to, it is like "WTF?" hehe

Just in case you don't know, all you do is if you have 98 goto the Install Uninstall thingin the control panel and look under details in the "Internet" part and you will see one called Internet COnnection sharing and youw anna click that and ok out of everything and it will bring up a very self explanitory quick setup.

Must be the only thing in 98 that is simple to do that is on a basis of normal complication.

Windows 2K is self explanatory. No one should run any other OS cause 95, ME, and XP all suck IMHO

13. batsman

batsman the quiet one

well one pc is running xp the other's are 98Se, i take it they are compatable, but the 98 ones wouldn't be able to see the NTFS HDD's, right?

on the subjct of routers, does the ASDL line plug into that? do you need any special cable converters? or is there an USB port on the router or something?

14. batsman

batsman the quiet one

been looking at some routers, and from what i can see you need a ASDL modem with a RJ-47 port on, to connect to the router.

or can you use an addapter to change a USB ASDL modem to a RJ-47 connection and plug that into the router?

or what ASDL providers give a compatabel Modem with their setup?

15. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

You can get intergrated Router/ADSL modems.

Go here and take a look at the ASUS. As regards to which providers supply this equiptment I'd suggest you opt for a Wires Only install and you can take your pick from the available harware.

Tags: