1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How To: Make a cheap (69c) molex pin remover.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thw01f, 20 Dec 2003.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

how about a square headphone jack :clap: :thumb:

2. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

Nice find man, works a treat. I even had one in my parts bin! FREEBIE, NADDA, ZERO COST!!!
    Now who will find the tool for the male side.

3. DomA

DomA What's a Dremel?

Nice one, but I may have a better method......

Get yourself a mini aerial/antenae £3 from maplins, or free if you've got a crappy radio just lying about.....

Wiggle the various sections about starting at the largest end... you should be able to seperate them after doing this.....

Leave the last 3 intact for female molex (depending on diameter of aerial) or last 2 sections for male.... you should even end up with a push down top (ie the last section) to pop the molexes out......

Dom

Last edited: 21 Jan 2004
  4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Molex Mini-Fit Connector Pin Extractor

Works like a dream and is the best 25 bucks I've ever spent! :rock:

5. DomA

DomA What's a Dremel?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Unfortunately not (I've looked). But if you have credit card or PayPal, PerformancePCs can pop you one in the post for a quick and easy delivery. ;)

7. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

how about trying a 2.5mm jack for the male molex connectors

8. Jim_Mcneat

Jim_Mcneat What's a Dremel?

That didn't work for me...I got it from a music store, and I think that's the problem. My 3.5mm jack had very thick walls, so the inside diameter was no longer enough to fit over the molex.

9. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

nice...... iv gonna need that

10. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Did the thick-walled one let you do the male pins?

11. Jim_Mcneat

Jim_Mcneat What's a Dremel?

Couldn't tell you, I threw it away. But the problem is likely that it was a quality part (even though it was still like 3$)

12. Draknog

Draknog What's a Dremel?

Works like a charm! :thumb: To extract a male, just use a recently extrcted female :duh: Just push it all the way in and pull out the male!

13. Crazed Modder

Crazed Modder What's a Dremel?

nice find :rock:

14. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Sorry to drag up an old post (if it's old) but I used this guide this evening. I couldn't find a suitable jack to work (the one I ripped off my old crappy headphones was embedded) so I'm going to Radio Shack tomorrow to get one. What I did find useful for removing the male pins was one of these:

[​IMG]

Just put it over the pin and wiggle it about while pulling on the wire to release it. I couldn't find it on their website but radioshack sells replacement tips for the solder suckers.

-TX297

15. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

I swear people are money hungry... They come up with something that they make using 3 or so pieces of metal, and they charge people 25 dollars for it... man you can get a dvd player for 25 dollars! let alone make your own one of those, just take a pair of tweezers and then file them down... a cheap 1-2 dollar solution.

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

It's pure supply and demand. There's very limited use and little call for this, so there's a premium on cost to turn a profit. An inexpensive DVD player will get snatched up real quick, so they can make money on the volume.

17. Philot

Philot What's a Dremel?

Yet another way...

Here's what I used.

Go to your local hobby shop and buy some 1/8" (~ 3mm) copper tubing. Put a short slice in the tubing for about 1" parallel to its length. This allows you to tweak the diameter to exactly match what you need. Then just slide the tubing over the pin and wiggle it around a little until the retaining pins are pushed down.

You can have one end adjusted to fit the male pins and have the other end adjusted for female pins. So for ~ $0.75 you have one tool that does both. (Well, with a little skill and finagling...)

18. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

at one stage i was using a moified rca plug for the male pins, it took a bit of time to make but worked good,untill i lost it

19. Vegita

Vegita What's a Dremel?

I have one of those "needles" for a bicycle pump so it can be used to inflate a basketball.

The needle fits nicely inside the holes in the female molex. It slides all the way to the back. I push pretty hard and tug at the wires, but it doesn't budge.

What am I doing wrong? And what would a universal molex tool do that I'm not doing now? :worried: :worried:

20. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

The metal needs to fit over the female plug, not inside.

Tags: