1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Score-Coder - !!minor update!! (13.03.04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by OldManOfModding, 16 Jan 2004.

1. OldManOfModding

OldManOfModding What's a Dremel?

cool.. that's a good idea... dunno how well this will go with the case tho.. the bracket for the card slots etc bring everything back in about 1/4 if an inch from the edge of the case.. i just dunno what to do.. it's not a main thing.. i might go take the lid etc to a garage down the road and get them to spray it :p

[edit: w00t 3 pages]

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well, if your going with a blue themed case, then the reflective back will throw off the light from the LED's like nobody's business. Thats what I was thinking.

3. spinDr

spinDr What's a Dremel?

I like the idea of a scoreboard computer. would be useful at Lans.

Ive done a bit of shoutcasting of Tribes/T2 clan matches. not at lans though. only online.

Case coming along nicely, GL.

4. OldManOfModding

hehe.. yea that's the idea. who'd you cast for ?

5. OldManOfModding

Well the missus likees the colour so that's half the battle, i'm going to sand and prime ec the mobo tray and the other parts tonight. i'm going to have to go and get another tin of primer, also, going to go n get the black paint for the insides if money permits..

see y'all 2nite

6. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:clap: Nice to all the updates of paint job ! :rock: keep it going

7. OldManOfModding

PROJECT: Score-Coder - A Casters Best Friend (update 19/1/04)

well... i marked out my window cuts and going to start doing them today. but i have started to spray paint the rest of the chassis etc. I've primered the main chassis and the mobo tray, and i thought i'll spray paint the drive cage and the back plate the right colours....

now here's where i screwed up... the drive cage simple.. black all over
    the backplate however is black on the inside and topcoat/main colour on the outside.. oh well i screwed that one up..... i painted the wrongside black.. oh well never mind, black is prolly much better anyways...

so it'll be black now, which in fact i think looks better having the back all black...

[edit... 01:09] all the guts have been painted black.. the 2 cages, mobo tray and main chassis.. i've got a couple of slimline cdroms from a couple of old lappys i've got a lappy 2 std. ide connector and that seems to work fine on the cd's so we'll see how we go testing wise.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2004
  8. OldManOfModding

PROJECT: Score-Coder - A Casters Best Friend (update 19/1/04)

well....

the main chassis has had it's second coat along with the cage and a couple of plastic things that were in it.. 1 was the 80mm fan holder that goes on the left had side @ the front. The other thing is a chassis that allows me to put a 3.5 inch drive in a 5.25 inch bay.. it has a hole cut in the front, this i'm going to be using to mount the lcd/vfd and some electronics that i'll be using.

The other thing i'm working on is a way to incorporate two psu's in. i'm going to make a chassis. there's enough room to put the two psu's in so on with the experimenting :D

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Aargh! This image was totally doing my head in until I realised what was wrong! The mobo is the wrong way round. It's a mirror image for some reason - check out the diet coke bottles in the back. Sorry, just had to share that.

10. OldManOfModding

hehehe yea sorry about that.. never noticed it till u pointed it out... :p

i got more pics a coming up, just copying them from the camera now...

so watch out for my next post :D

11. OldManOfModding

here's said pictures...

The Slimline CD-Rom
    [​IMG]

The Lid with the windows cut in it, ready for some more primer and then topcoat
    [​IMG]

The Chassis and mobo tray all painted and also with the backplate temporarily fitted. The white thing on the mobo tray is just something that was on the lens. I found some nice plastic edging, should be nice on the windows as it's translucant and should show off the windows pretty well. I have an idea for the windows with some led's in them tied to the hd activity lights so that they "dance" when hd activity happens.. might also tie it into the nic light too one on each side :thumb:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. OldManOfModding

more updates...

first layer of top-coat has gone on the lid and i must say it's awesome.... i'll post pics when it's dry etc, but i have 2 dlilemmas'....

1) do i paint the inside of the lid black or topcoat colour?

2) Do i sand inbetween topcoats? bear in mind that it's a "metallic" paint IE, fancy :D

13. OldManOfModding

ok.. first layer of colour topcoat applied....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. OldManOfModding

not really an update, i've so far put 3 coats of top-colour on the lid.. starting to look a load better...

[​IMG]

15. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking nice man :) keep it up

16. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

(bump) and to get me subscribed.

I read someplace professionals will spray on a light coat of black then sand it off. Cant remember exactly what that does for you? But it sounded cool.

I cant ever recall seeing a nicer looking desktop computer.
    Keep on modding :thumb: :dremel: :rock:

17. OldManOfModding

BY GEORGE I THINK I GOT IT

seriously.. i ****ing got it...

i started off putting the final layers of paint on the lid and the chassis. I then decided to strip the psu, clean it up a bit and paint that too :)

While that was drying I turned my attentions to the HSF, now I am planning on changing the HSF for a better one when I upgrade the mobo anyways, so I thought i'd ghetto an 80mm fan onto the current one as the 60mm std fan is fuxored. so with that done I turned my attentions to the base of the heatsink. This had that horrid crappy pink heat pad stuff that never works so i decided.... scrape it off and sand it smooth.. always a good idea imho.. That's done now time to stick it all back 2gether and pray :D

so where am I at now? the home stretch baby ya!!!! All's i have to do now is the final touches, like laquer up the lid etc, put the windows in, do the facsia and my 1337 electroonics and monitoring system that i'm designing. More on that when i've finalised the design. but basically it's a pic with all sorts of goodies on it :hip:

anyways on with the piccies .... (PS. Yes I know my foot's in a couple of them.. but ur not here to see that, you're here to see the case etc) :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Evilhue

Evilhue What's a Dremel?

wow, very nice so far. Keep up the modding

19. OldManOfModding

Sorry for my lack of updates, i've been busy writing software that will hopefully bring me some money in to finish this project off..

I've got the acrylic panels for the windows and the front fascia. the side window panels are cut, just need the sanding and polishing. i'm going to stealth the bolts on the inside (ie araldite them to the inside of the case :D)

i'll get some piccies and an update when i can

20. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Man, that paint looks raelly great. I was hoping, could you give me some tips? Did you paint, then sand, or wet sand it. And when if you wet sanded, how much water do you use? I'm a bit new to this business of painting and sanding. :sigh: