1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Matrimony Mod - 56K look out

Discussion in 'Modding' started by blackflag, 22 Jan 2004.

1. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

So... I decided last month it was time to make my relationship with my girlfriend of 5 years official. An earlier plot of mine to propose to her had been thwarted when she began to suspect something, so on the train one day in December the following idea hit me: change gears and somehow incorporate a mod into the proposal. I envisioned making an all white PC with "bridal" accents for her, and using that as a visual aid for the proposal. I planned out all the stuff I was thinking on the train and got to work.

This was very opportune timing, as she told me a few months ago that she needed a new PC for work because her Pentium II just wasn't cutting it anymore. There was no money in the company budget to upgrade her PC so I told her I'd build a PC from the spare parts I had laying around. I used the following:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    Asus A7V266 Motherboard (edit: whoops- A7S333 went in my Red Hat mod)
    256MB DDR-2700
    40GB Western Digital 7200rpm HDD
    Apollo GeForce 4 MX420
    Lite-On 52x CDRW
    350W PSU
    3Com NIC
    Onboard sound
    2 Cold Cathodes
    White LEDs
    White rounded IDE cables
    Window kit
    Some old Codegen case

I wanted to get it done ASAP to do it before Christmas so, sadly, there is no project log- just the final pictures. I ended up cutting a side window (which I hand etched with the words "will you do me the honor" with my trusty Dremel :dremel: ), a front window (custom crafted out of some plex I had- matching the curve of the case was FUN! :rock: ) below the 5.25" bays (which I then attached a cake topper I purchased on the net in front of it), painting the entire case white (inside and out, as well as the PSU), vinyl dyeing the CDRW, wrapping EVERY wire with white wire wrap and heatshrink (and highlighting the wires with string pearls I picked up at a craft store), adding lace from said craft store to the PSU and side window, and as the piece de resistance, I created a fake 3 tiered wedding cake (out of those round wood boxes from craft stores) decorated with mini ribbon roses attached to the top of the case (the top tier of the cake removed to display the ring inserted inside). Also, you can see in the pics that I accented the case like mad with the mini ribbon roses and lacy wedding-ish stuff. Cutting the front window meant that I would need to relocate the power button, so I placed it below the window and attached a 25mm rhinestone to look like a diamond, and when depressed, would power the PC up. I even went so far as to create a desktop theme for her, with a wallpaper of her ring, and matching icons (her "My Computer" was a ring, "My Documents" was another view of the ring, and "Network Places" was a diamond-- unfortunately I have no pictures of that as the system is now at her job).

I was nervous as hell but luckily I surprised her when she came home and she said yes! She was kind of fixated on the PC for a minute or two until she realized that there was a hefty chunk of ice waiting for her in the top of the cake :D . Hehe now she can look at the PC at work everyday and be reminded what a nerd she is marrying... I figured it was representative of me, geekiness and all. Look at the pics below, let me know what you guys think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Jan 2004
    Ronin likes this.
  2. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

First, those are some decent "spare parts" you have laying around. Second...well..hmmm... man I've never seen anything like it! Thats one hell of a way to ask a woman to marry you. You gotta love a woman to go thru all that. Congrats and job well done on building a PC for your soon to be wife!!

I give you an A++ for being VERY original!!!

Best of luck to the both of you!!

DDK

Ronin likes this.
  3. Chief752

Chief752 What's a Dremel?

Great imagination and execution. Glad your work wasn't in vain. Congratulations. :thumb:

4. SJH

SJH Minimodder

One of the most original ideas for a mod, and ways of asking a girl to marry someone that I've ever seen :)

Congratulations too!

-Sam

5. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

:clap: Well done! Congratulations!

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Fantastic! I love the little people in the front window! :rock:

Congrats about the engagement - it sounds like you hooked yourself a geek wife! :D

7. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

The funny thing is, she is not one bit geek... she never asked for a mod, I took it upon myself to do it... :D

8. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

That is great! It's a story your children will tell thier children. My question is what do you do when she needs another upgrade. Anniversery? congrats and I wish good luck to both of you. :waah: Sorry I always cry at wedding mods.

9. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

oh my god that's awesome. i think that is THE nerdiest thing i've EVER heard of (that's actually a compliment). with the effort you put into that, i'd hate to see your "i want a divorce" system.

10. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

As someone had sad

As someone had sad
    "I had never seen somthing like it"

realy nice modding :D

11. Ronin

Ronin What's a Dremel?

That is great!!!

That is so cute i wish my fiance would have done that for me!!! :rock: :rock:

12. Abyss

Abyss What's a Dremel?

Great execution and thoughtfulness. It looks delicious. I'd like to lick it.... maybe just a little. Mmmm... cake.

13. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Great work man! I think my girlfriend would cry if I did something like that, one of those princess types where its gonna have to be a grand proposal :rolleyes:

Anyways, I love how great it turned out, thats a hell of a work PC too :thumb:
    Congrats!

14. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Thats fantastic.

15. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Dude, u r an inspiration to us all :)
    Sorry to hear she's not a geek tho - presumably its gonna be a nerd and mod free wedding ceremony :lol:
    U could have a massive Lan instead of a reception, jus a thought.
    Best wishes for your future together!!!!

16. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Now here is something computer case companies need to take a look at.

mj007: Get the idea patented. Sell the first "will you marry me" computer case! That would :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: And overall, very nice work.

17. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

congrats man. whens the big day? :idea: you could vid. conf. with the priest! now we gotta find you a REAL :geek: Tux... blue Polyester maybe? nononono! a GEN-U-INE duct tape penguin suit. :dremel: I'll help you make it.

seriously though, you'll transmit **Live** the bachelor party over the net, right :confused: :naughty: ;)

good luck and have a happy marriage.

18. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Very very funny!!!! Hope you'll be forever happy :clap: :clap:

19. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Hmm... a massive LAN... now there's an idea! Wonder how my grandmother would be at HL or Call of Duty?

:D

Last edited: 23 Jan 2004
  20. TMM

TMM Modder

OMG!, thats so awsome! well done m8! :rock:

it'd be this: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :D
    [​IMG]
    :rock: