1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Q: PSU design questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OldManOfModding, 20 Jan 2004.

1. OldManOfModding

OldManOfModding What's a Dremel?

as every1 knows the psu has multiple molex "strings" (plus on more than one set) for the hd's etc...

my question is, is each string on it's own regulator? or are they all off the same one?

my theory is that if they are all off the same one, i could have the same amount of molexs' on one et of wires, ie 1 string.. this would make the cable management easier in my case that i'm modding rather than having 3 strings of 3 molexs'
    so basically the questino is this... can i chop 3 of the strings out and just leave the one string, but with the same amount of molexs' on

ie instead of 3 strings of 3, can i have 1 string of 9 ?

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Your correct when you say that all the wires do come off the same regulator (for their preticular voltages obviously), but, heres where you run into a problem with you want to join up all the wires. Due to the standard gauge of wire, you may run into a problem the longer the wires are. I'd be worried about burning up a wire or two, or shorting something, or possably even damaging a drive. Technicaly, if you use good enough wires (like upgrade the wires) you can pull it off no prob. Hope that helps. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong though)

3. OldManOfModding

yea that's what I thought.. the reason why i ask, is as I said, 99% of what i need are at the front of the case, but i'll be running dual psu so things like the lighting (sides mainly) are run off of the one and only the hd/cdrom and the mobo will be run off the main psu (the one i want to mod), that way there wouldn't be much current draw from the one string (total of 3 molex')

I suppose I could run a junction box, i have the room for it...

thnx

4. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

From what I understand, the string you want to modify will be used for hdd and a rom/burner. I did some looking up as to how much power these devices use and I found that even a high perfomance hdd uses an amp or less off of each rail, and burners use two amps at the most. So with this configuration your maximum absolute worst case current draw would be about 4 amps. At these currents 18awg is just fine and your psu should have this guage of wire on it already, so the only thing you would need to do is add another connector. If you wanted 9 connectors on one string I would run 12awg, but the bigger the better.

5. nothingtrend

nothingtrend What's a Dremel?

I am in the process of rewiring my psu, and am using 18awg for the atx plug and some 16awg for the 4pin hdd/cd floppy is getting its own 18awg, I will post pics when I get it done. I plan on removing a set and adding to the main string also.

6. OldManOfModding

cool... looking forward to it.

7. OldManOfModding

yea that's what i was thinking... i dont know about running any more than 9. i aint that rich to be able to have 9 items on me psu :D

8. Mark R

Mark R What's a Dremel?

Nothing at all to stop you from rewiring the PSU in that way - there is only one regulator for each rail.

The only potential problem you may run into with a long string is excessive voltage drop at the end (a combination of increased length and increased current) - be sure to calculate the currents and expected voltage drop to ensure that you do not exceed the maximum current rating of your wire, and do not exceed the the voltage drop tolerated by your equipment.