1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Right angle Headers,

Discussion in 'Modding' started by metarinka, 22 Jan 2004.

1. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'm realy hoping they are out there, does any one know where to get right angle Rj45 male jacks (ethernet cable for us slow people) or even straight male rj45 jacks? also a female headers would be nice too, I googled and searched a few sites to no avail. I want to take this down to the texas gaming festival, and The most important thing I'll need is the ethernet hooked up properly. Anyways If any of you know of any place to get rj 45 headers that would be much appreciated

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Do it yourself stores like Home Depot and Lowes carry RJ45 connectors, both male and female. Angled ones are going to be very hard to find anywhere. I've never seen them.

3. Impact9

Impact9 What's a Dremel?

4. metarinka

thanx guys, never thought of the local hardware stores, makes sence tho. I think I'm gona buy a female jack, and attack an old 3 footer cable I got around here, I doubt they have right angle jacks, as theres never a need

5. Yraen

Yraen What's a Dremel?

I have a local store that carries supplies for electricians and builders. They also sell to the public but do not advertise this as the bulk of their sells are in larger quantities. They tend to carry more connector types, wires, etc than any of the hardware stores and their prices are cheaper. You might look around and see what type of consctuction suppliers you have in your area.

Yraen

6. TMM

TMM Modder

if you want a right angle female socket, look for a PCB-mount one. All LAN/ethernet cards have them so they should be readily availible :p

7. Johnnyonetime

Johnnyonetime What's a Dremel?

Hey metarinka, we've got a Texas Electronics Shop here in town that has right angle RJ-45 (Male and Female) so if you are in desparate need shoot me an e-mail and I'll grab a couple and mail them your way.

8. metarinka

wow, I'm not desperate yet, but IF the cable doesn't fit I'm going to need a right angle male header, I'll keep yah in mind

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

If your going to make your own cat5 cables, I think its best that you know that you will need to invest in special crimpers, they run about $20USD

10. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

I bought mine for $9 a few years ago. If you buy at a store like Radio Shack they're probably $20, but if you don't wanna spend that much (and I didn't) looking around is good :D

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I make a ton of cat 5 cables and have gone through 3or4 cheap crimpers, so I pitched the cash for the cadilac of cat5 crimpers.

12. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

Jeez dude, you must have the forearms of Popeye :D

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Ha, funny. I suppose you could say that...but you'd be wrong. I have the scronny physique of your average gamer.

14. metarinka

Not crimping since I'm making the cable really, I'm soldering on a right angle header and a female jack to a section of premade cat5 cable. The jack which was bought at a local hardware store requires use to seperate out the individual wires, if I use a right angle header I'll just straight solder, if not I'm justing a normal male cable bent to a right angle