1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tribal Wings. Update 2-8. Disaster strikes. Broken Dremmel!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Muratus, 16 Jan 2004.

1. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

i can't see the pic's

2. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

I can. From what i've seen so far, i'm really liking it. Shame the camera quality isn't great, but how can i complain im to poor to buy a digi cam

Still really liking the modding, especially for a 1st try :clap:

3. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Sorry about the bad pic's. I'll take some real pic's when I buy more film for my regular camera.

Muratus

4. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Question?

Has anyone tried to put fans on the bottom of one of these cases? Either intake or exhaust?

Let me know.

5. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi

Great work so far. :D I am looking forward to the upcoming changes.

I have 2 120mm Aluminium Evercool fans fitted to the bottom of my case. They are used in an intake configuration with Aluminium Filters (must have for the dust). I also have the same fan as a blowhole in the top.

They fit nicely, but you have mount them off centre nearer the door side to clear the Motherboard.

Regards
    BenJ

6. CyCo_H

CyCo_H What's a Dremel?

Yes the fans can be set up that way......however that design is more inefficient. Heat rises to the top of the case..wherever it is generated. Basically with the design you're talking about you would basically be pushing heat to the bottom of the case, which the fans can do.....but they have to work a lil harder to do it that way rather than push out the air through an exhaust in the top. Thats why ATX power supplies are designed the way they are now. They used to intake air from the rear and fire air over the CPU. However the components in the power supply get hot so basically you were firing heated air over an already hot CPU. Thats why they are designed that way today....they intake cold air thru the front and its pulled up and out the rear of the case. So yes u can do that but you are putting more strain on the fans to do the work of cooling the case.

7. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

If I have the intake fans on the bottom they would be blowing cool air right at the CPU then the rear exhaust would blow the hot air out. Right? Mosting I ask because I'm debating covering the vent slots on the Front Benz, and I need to plan a new air path to cool the comp.

8. CyCo_H

CyCo_H What's a Dremel?

Yeah that would work better for you because you would be taking the coolest air from the bottom and pushing it toward the top. If the case is cramped you may want to include a top blowhole too.

9. Gladius

Gladius What's a Dremel?

Good work especially for the first mod :rock: ,

nice work wif jigsaw and dremel :dremel: .. and gotta love the designs but the side panel's designs looks too squished.. but other than that nice work :clap:

10. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

UPdate 1-28

Well, I've had a major set back on my Mobo tray. The hidden channel I made in it is not quite working. So I have cut it off and started building a new peice to hide all the IDE cables. Once that is done I'll post some picks of how my cable hidding works. Basicly all you will see is the IDE cables where they plug in to the Mobo. You won't see them on the optical or floppy drives. Also you will only see the power wires going to the Mobo the rest of the PSU wires are all hidden.

I'll post picks of a moch up, showing how this will work tonight or in the morning.

Muratus

11. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

Yer nice mod, cant wait to see it up and running with some colour lights!!

12. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Im no sure what you mean by hiding the IDE cables...I mean, I know what that means, but how are you going to do that? The cables are usually just short enough that they go into the motherboard and into the drive(s). Do you mean the power supply connectors? If so, use the method that was in Project Z. He basically used wire ties, but they had a base that was doublesided taped to the back of the motherboard tray, holding the wires in place.

I really like the first design on this PC, its a great Tribal theme, and who cares if the case has been "overused." Make it your own and tell everyone to shove off. A bottom intake is a good idea, I used that in my old intake/exhaust scheme.

You will be painting this, correct? I think it was Ouija that had trouble with the JB Weld on his case, not painting correctly, but I think it's b/c he powdercoated it, I'm pretty sure the paint won't have trouble adhering. I assume you're going to sand the whole panel down? Or maybe use bondo or autobody filler over that area? I'm really glad someone FINALLY got rid of that stupid handle, it always screws up window designs.

:dremel: Good luck!

13. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Yep, I'm hidding the IDE cables. You will only see them where they plug in to the motherboard. Plus the power supply cables will be hidden completely. Once you see it you'll understand. I'll show that part very detailed once it's complete. My goal is to have about 90% of all the wires hidded from veiw. You will only see a wire when it connects to the Mobo.

Yea, regular primer and paint will work on the JB weld, if properly prepped.

I'm still working on the front peice. It is taking awhile because I want it to be based off the origanal front peice but with a few new mods that haven't been done. (at least not that I've seen anywhere.)

And there is one more mod for the case that I haven't seen anywhere, but I'm not ready for that stage yet.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Muratus

14. xrain

xrain Minimodder

make sure there is room for air to flow under the case for the bottom intake and filters is a good idea on the bottom 2

great mod best iv seen with tribal designs goo luck :dremel: :rock:
    -
    -
    -xrain-

15. Providence

Oh yeah, don't forget your filters. But yeah, the feet on the bottom should be fine for getting air in. The filter on the bottom is the most important, since dust sinks to the bottom.

Also, have two intakes on the bottom for everyone on the back. The filter will affect how much air you bring in, so one exhause on the back will be fine. Also, does the PSU have a fan on teh bottom, that leads out the back? If so, two intakes on the bottom are going to be perfect.

16. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Here it is Wire stealth!

Well I promised pics of my hidding wires.

One of my main objectives of this project was to hide atleast 90% of all the wires. Which is a very hard thing to do sence I have windows on both sides of the case and the Mobo tray is windowed. That takes away a ton of hidding places! So I had to come up with some secret wire hiding places.

Here are the pics.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the overview of the case. You can see the IDE plug hanging out of the hidden channel for it. The Optical drive and Floppy are installed and plugged in. Look close. Still can't see the plugs? I made blank end peices and put them over the whole end of the drives, so the back pannel is smooth.

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic with the blank end taken off the CD drive. Now you can see the plugs.

[​IMG]

Here is a angle view. The wire hanging out the front will be behind the front Benz, used for the LED's & Fans.

[​IMG]

Here is a closer look at the Mobo power wire hanging down, and the IDE cable popping out. Look at the ends of the 5 1/4 drives. Nice and smooth.

[​IMG]

Here is a nice shot from above. Check out those cool PSU windows. But also look at those smooth drive ends. Remeber every thing is plugged in.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic from the other side. Still no wires.

[​IMG]

Here is the CD drive slide out. Now you can see where the wires are hidding. Now that is a mess in there. lol.

Well this is the first time I test fitted everying but its working out just as I've hopped.

Well thats it for now. I'll update this weekend.

Muratus

17. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

How smooth does that look! Props to you, my man! :D

18. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

NICE!! i love how you used a channel to hide the wires, i was going to do this, but opted to just used the mobo tray to hid them hehehe great work man :thumb: :thumb:

19. Providence

Your case has inspired me! I'm going to take it a step further, but yeah, it looks good. One thing, on the wire clutter next to the CD rom, maybe sleeve it and use zipties to really, REALLY squeeze the wires together, it will put some room btwn the drive and the wires.

20. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

The wires are actualy inside a 5 1/4 drive that houses the floppy. But yea, I'm going to clean them up once I'm at the final stage of this. This was just my first test fitting.