1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding loose idea: Glass case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Smilodon, 25 Jan 2004.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Ok... i'm planning on making a glass case... not plexi, but real glass...

I have about 5 square meters laying around here :D

what i thought about diong is simply to make some panels out of glass.. get a diamond drill bit and a glass cutter, and make it just like a acrylic case... however... how do you think i should make fan holes?

edit: i know someone was thinking about this a while ago, but the search seems to be broken...

2. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I don't know about cutting the holes since I've never cut glass before but wouldn't your case be very heavy?

Nice idea though.

3. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

nice idea. you can use a mirror at the bottom etc. for nice light effects

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

What about making the case liquid tight and not using fans. buy a vaccume HDD and fill the case up with 100% oil, vegie oil will work, pure oil wont conduct electricity. just have your optical drives and psu above waterlevel.
    Ive made a case like this before only it wasnt a tower.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well.. i'm not going to make it oil cooled.. although it's a good idea :)

i will put a mirror in the bottom.. i actually have that in my case right now...

i saw some diamond cutting discks for dremel (not the real dremel diskcs)... will there be ok to cut holes? mabye get hold on a diamond file...?

6. Whis5555

Whis5555 What's a Dremel?

Try one of the glass cutters, the ones with the scoring wheels on them. I gotta get a sig and such. erg. Anywho, on to the cutters, I think they are like 5 at home depot, your score then break downt the score line. Just make sure the glass isn't tempered.

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I diddn't expect you to be to excited about the oil submerged thing.

Take the glass to a window/mirror shop and get them to wet-cut it. They could do the fan holes as well. If that fails call up a local machine shop and get the glass CnC'd with diamond bits.

8. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

A glass case would be awesome.
    I want one now :hehe:

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

whis: yeah, for the straight lines.. but how do i make holes?

jesse: no such places around here... the local glass shop only has a plain glass cutter... that's it... :eyebrow:

i don't know any shops here that have CNC's either.. only the school, but they don't have any diamond bits.. (and i don't think anyone there know how to use it anyway :eyebrow: )

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Just use a dremel fiberglass reinenforced cut off wheel and make it as close as you can. Then I'd imagine you polish it smooth.

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

If all else fails...walk blindly into it with your dremel set on 5. Thats always worked for me.

12. Gimpy

Gimpy What's a Dremel?

ya the prob is going to be mounting everything.. I have a mag with a staned galss case in it if I find I will tell you his solution

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

It would be differant with stained glass, there are metal bars to weld/braze your brackets to. I would suggest, carefully drilled holes with a carbide drill bit.

14. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

hmm, well id suppose you could even use a little fishtank =\ why bother cutting and gluing glass all together when you can just go buy that same deal for like $10 at a fish store =P. id suppose you could drill some holes and use some rubber O-rings on eaither side of some nuts\bolts to mount the drives and such.. kinda like this
    ||
    <=[][]||[]D
    ||

kinda like Gnome did with his new Orac3 project, using all those little rubber things to make sure the plexi dosnt break. just make sure you dont tighten them too much ther buddy =P dont want to have to cut\glue or buy a whole new tank eh?

id suggest just going and buying a fish tank, a diamond score thing (you run it across the glass surface and it creates a 'break line' you position the glass on an edge across that break line and snap off the glass to get a clean edge) , and test the dremel bits on a spare piece of glass before you start drilling holes and such. also grab yourself a dry erase marker (makes it easy to measure where your holes and stuff are going to be. should be for an interesting casemod. good luck with it. just take your time... and lots of pictures. :dremel:

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

i can't find it at the mo, but i have seen a glass case - in fact it was stained glass, looked like a church! think i was in the day before fans tho so no holes!

16. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

@Jesse:
    Got more info on that oil cooled cqse of yours???

17. AkujinNoNinjin

AkujinNoNinjin What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't a glass case have cooling problems - (and I guess an acrylic one does too?) ... aren't you effectively building a greenhouse to put your computer into?

... You could always throw a few plants in the bottom ... make a little jungle out of it ... you know ... keep a pet lizard in there ... put some filters over the fans to stop it getting caught up in them ... add a serial controlled feeder ... give it its own little keyboard.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I dont have any pics of my comp, I diddnt think of it as a very big deal, for i just copied someone elses idea.

I just submerged an old P2 400 in a rubermaid full of veggie oil.

here is a link to the site where I got the idea, mine was very similar.

19. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

I dont know what your whole idea is but something with a nice wood frame and glass windows would look nice (if it sat at my grandmothers house) totaly glass would be rad too...what kind of glass is it...tempered? that might make a diff while cutting but i'm not a glass blower or anything i'm just tossing out ideas...OH! OH! make your computer inside a glass ball or something like those tiny boats in bottles that would be cool.......orrr not :worried:

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well... i already have the glass, so buying a finished case wasn't what i had thought of... the whole point is making it myself... besides.. i already have the glass... but that O-ring idea is good.. i thought about that myself..

teh temps won't be a problem... after all.. i DO have a few fans ;)

the glass is normal window glass... 3mm thick i think.. it is double sided, but i think it's pretty easy to seperate...