1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport'n a Woody

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Neph, 24 Jan 2004.

1. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

Project Sport'n a Woody

This is my first work log of any kind; my biggest problem will be taking pictures during the progression of this mod. I’ve been modding for an yr or so now, also following other people’s work logs looking for inspiration. After seeing an under abundance of wood cases around I decided to build one for myself as a server, media center. I was reading the forums on Bit-Tech one day and came across a topic about Sketchup, became interested in it and decided to give it a try for a mock up of my case. This is what I came up with: The chassis/rear will be made of Mahogany and the Top/Front/Left and Light panels will be made of Walnut. As I make this case its no doubt that the design will change (hopefully for the better).

Sketchup mockup

The Frame

Now on to making the chassis, I cut some mahogany into ¾”x1” strips and assembled the frame. At some point I plan on adding some inlays (light colored wood, like Oak) to the frame at least to the parts of the frame that will be visible when opened. I then proceeded onto making the back. I cut my pieces, jointed the sides and marked for biscuits then glued them together. After the back panel was dry I then cut ¾”x1/4” dadoes to accept the frame (later the upper portion of the panel will be permanently fixed to the frame.).

Chassis (The plywood on the bottom will later be covered) ​

The Power Supply

I have an old Sony 10 disc changer that had died awhile back. So I stripped it and used the housing for the top and bottom of the PSU. For the sides I used Mahogany. At this point I’m still deciding if I’ll put in a window on the sides and top of the PSU. In the mock up you can see that I have ventilation holes on the front. That will be changed and moved to the bottom. There are two exit points on the psu; the one on the right will be for the mobo and hdd’s and video card. The one on the left will be connected to a junction box for fans, lights, cd-rom and DVD burner.
    A: PSU B: Test fitting

In picture A you can see the remaining portion of the CD Changer after being hacked and gutted. You can also see the start of the side panels for the PSU. In picture B I have begun test fitting the parts. Still some tweaking to do but it’s coming together. Next I have to add supports to help hold the bottom in place and add a piece of wood to keep the top from falling in.​

Back Panel Construction

I cut, planed and glued 3 pieces of stock together to form the back panel for my case. After it dried I cut the cutout for the motherboard tray to sit in. Then moved on to the power supply to cut out the fans and power holes. When taking the measurements for the fans and drawing a template to mark the hole that are needed to be cut, I realized that all the contents of the two psu’s won’t fit into the space provided (it seems that during the drawing stage I forgot to include the two fans that will be needed to cool the Power Supplies). I only had one option to fix this problem, create a bump out for the fans to sit in.

In this picture I’ve marked for fans and plugs.

In these pictures I make the exterior portion of the bump out. My plan is for the fans to sit flush with the inside of the power supply.

Back of bumpout for fans and plug connection cut out
    Fans and Plug connection test fit
    Here it is glued and clamped.

Just a few more holes to cut out:
    - 80mm fan for exhaust
    - Wireless Router ports
    - Route the hole around the Mobo.
    - Sand and oil​

HDD Rack

I cut some 3/8”x3/4” pieces and started working on the HDD rack. I had originally intended to mount the HDD's vertically, but I decided to mount them on their side. The rack will hold 6 HDD's, with an add-on option for more should the need arise. I still have to put some spacers between the HDD's to keep them from jiggling around on the bottom.

The Rack

Mirror Etching

With a diamond tip pen I started to scratch out on image onto the mirror. 3 of the longest hrs of my life later.

During Finished

I've started to place the PCB for the psu's and drill holes for the wires. Next is to make a junction box for fans and lights. Then it's on to making the front of the case. I have an idea what it's gonna look like, but uncertainty remains on how I plan to get it to look the way I want it to. Thats all for now, thanks for reading my poor project log.

***links fixed

Last edited: 24 Jan 2004
  2. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

Good job so far. :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Jan 2004
  3. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looks really nice good to see more and more wood cases these days love the mirror etch job.

4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Not a b0rked link in site and I really like that mirror in the bottom.

5. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

Nice man very nice....

do u put anything cool down those HDD's? and do few things polish HDD's that will be soo c00l :naughty: and paint MB tray that doesn't fit there... meant by color and tell me what power did u used?

6. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

I'll have 2 120mm fans blowing across the HDD's.I have also planned on polishing the HDD's and painting the MOBO tray and PSU maybe a chrome color(uncertain yet) but all wires are going to be covered in chrome looming. By power do you what power supplies are being used?

7. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

You have a really nice image for etching. Where did you get it? Are these images available in Internet?

8. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

I downloaded the image for the net, I email the person who drew it and asked to use it. I'd post a link but my favs aren't on this computer, they're on the computer that's been taken apart for this project.

9. Poppa_joe

Poppa_joe What's a Dremel?

That is a beautiful Tlingit raven. I knew that you were from BC just by looking at it. I grew up in Alaska and there so beautiful art done by the Tlingit people there. Here is some good examples:
    Tlingit Art

10. Neph

Neph What's a Dremel?

Fan Grills

After a week of the flu I finally got around to doing something with my case. With the leftover part of the psu's housing and an hour of cutting with a scrollsaw this is what came out.

After Painting:[​IMG]

In position:[​IMG]

No two more to do...

11. sqaulidhummer

sqaulidhummer What's a Dremel?

nice , good luck with it.

12. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is really great! Wish I had the tools to compete with this :p

13. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

and what became of this case?
    (I do like it and tlingit art.)

14. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

WOOD!!! : Drools : when i get around to building my server, it will be wood...that is final...ever since Mr. Red's mod...i have been on the lookout for more wood.....

15. Zapho

Zapho What's a Dremel?

You going to make the drives float like in your sketch??!?!?! :eeek:
    Just kidding, looks awesome so far!! Great work!

16. Spook

Spook What's a Dremel?

Dang, I love that mirror etch! As well as the overall quality of this case... :rock:

Can't wait to see this one finished! Gotta love a woody :naughty:

/Subscribes...

17. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

woow damn fine etch and fan grills, i love them. :brrr:
    Do you have any photo's of the making of the fan grills?

18. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Awsum case my friend! Wood you mind a question or to? :worried: :D Sorry couldnt help it! Anyway, your fan grills look great. How well does a scroll saw cut metal? How does it compair to say a dremel or jig-saw? Keep up the good work!