1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Noritake 256x64-372 VFD module

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twyst, 26 Jan 2004.

1. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Well, on Ebay, someone's selling a Noritake 256x64 VFD module. The data sheet's available, so that's not a problem.

Now.. I can't seem to find any software that supports it. Which sucks, really. This thing would be absolutely gorgeous. Any ideas? I've looked at all the software out there, and none of them seem to support it. They usually support the 800A, which we all know and love (and want! oh, do I want!) - And the wiring is apparently identical on this. Looks like it's just the commands that are different.

Here's the datasheet for this display: http://noritake2.download.reliablenetworks.net/GU256X64-372.pdf

Any suggestions? It's a fantastic price - $50. Plus the seller appears to have more than just the one..

Last edited: 26 Jan 2004
  2. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I've seen this auction too. Tomorrow I'll start firing off emails to the guys who write most of the display software. I'll see if maybe if I buy one, and send it to them they can use it while figuring out how to make it work and then send it back to me.

3. coorz

coorz Miffed

I'll do some investigation too on that display, not too much info on it.
    Looks :brrr: , and all that for just $50 :)

4. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

The other one I see on there is that giant auction of 128x32 VFDs. Kind of an awkward PCB on it, but the price is right - $19 apiece. And they've got 600 of them. :eeek: It's a little narrow, but 32 high is still 4 rows of characters, so it's not too bad.

5. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

I'd be willing to write software for that display. I have not seen the full datasheet yet but I don't see any big problems connecting this to LPT port.

I'd like to get one for myself so I could also support it in future and it's a very nice display too. ;)

Anyone willing to act as the middle man getting one and then sending to me ( to Finland ) ? Shipping shouldn't be a problem as everything went fine with the 128x64-800 that linear sent to me earlier - thanks again linear :) .

6. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

It seems to be too late for me, the auction is gone! And it had 2 days to go, as well.

Alas, no VFD for me.

Perhaps I can find a kind soul on here who wants to sell me a 128x64 800A?

edit: What the~? It's back. And I see crooz has made a bid. =)
    Silly Ebay. :eyebrow:

7. jace055

jace055 What's a Dremel?

Henri:
    Were you willing to write software for the 256x64 or for the 128x32?

8. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

i would imagine that there is very little difference between the drivers for the too, i havent looked at the datasheets, but im guessing all it requires is very little alteration to any code, so he could do both :D

9. coorz

coorz Miffed

Going for it yes, he says he gots more of them, discount at 5+ pcs. So perhaps someone could contact him and do a little group order?
    There's no use if us BT'ers are bidding against each other.
    /me in Netherlands, maybe better communication between the US guys/

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I can use my paypal merchant acount to gather money for a group order.

if you guys are interested in having me work this deal out then send me an email at vfdgroupbuy@crossfiregaming.com (I love running my own email, I can setup nifty names :) )

If everyone in this post gets one then we can get a 5+ discount, maybe we can get some more people on here?

11. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Well, I was thinking about it. Problem is, that I don't have the finances to do a bulk order and parcel them out. that's also why I didn't bid after you. ^_^

I've also been thinking about just grabbing a nice big LCD (320x240) from earthlcd or eio, and saving myself a bit of coin. The big thing is finding one with the right kind of controller - a T6963C, or a KS0108, since those seem to be supported fairly well.

Alternatively, I've found a 240x64 LCD at http://meci.com - for $20!

And one at http://evotron.com for $30. Both of those use the T6963C controllers..

Problem is, they don't seem to take paypal. Maybe I can email them... A lack of plastic is frustrating.

12. coorz

coorz Miffed

Consider me in, IF i don't win the current e-Bay bid :naughty: . I might try asking in the Dutch modder's forum if there's any interest. Will be hard if there's no actual software support for this display.

13. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

When the auction for the 800 series display got very popular (I have 4) there was no software support. Once enough people get into it, the developers will write the drivers/plugins/whatever needed.

Twyst, since I don't know you I don't know how good with electronics you are. Trust me, VFDs are WAY easier to setup. no need for inverters, contrast pots, different volatges, blah blah blah. All these noritake displays need is data, power, and ground. But if you want a large graphical LD with a nice CCFL backlight that will alllow you to change its colors (which can be done with VFDs too) then drop me a line, I have bunches.

Hey guys, spread the word on these. If any of you guys are members of other forums, then point them on over to this thread.

14. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

That's just it.. the software.

My roomie does want one, as do I.. But until someone gets one to Henri, there won't be any software that runs it. Which is why I might do the LCD thing.

VFDs are just so sexy though! :naughty:

Edit:
    Heh. The first 2 VFDs I bought I managed to fry. :waah: I bought 2 4x20 Futaba ones, and somehow pooched the whole thing. The 4x20 LCD that I currently have is working just fine, though. :p

15. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

I meant the 256x64 one. But why not the 128x32 too ;) I haven't see any data on the 128x32 yet though.

Hey coorz if you are getting a display to Netherlands then maybe it would be possible to get a display for me too ? Even if you don't win the bid why not contact the seller directly as I don't see why he wouldn't want to sell the displays if he has more of them. From Netherlands the display would quickly come to Finland and also I could easily make the payment to your bank account.

16. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Looking at Noritake's page .. there is no 128x32-311 - just a 128x64-311. Interesting.

Apparently, you can email the seller for the complete spec. It's a custom job, after all. But I can't see it not being compatible with the 800 series.

17. jace055

jace055 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone emailed him to ask how many he has? Seems group buys aren't going to be very effective if he only has the 11 pictured minus the one already in auction. Never-the-less, if anyone in the states does a group buy I'd like to know what kind of deal you can manage.

Edit: or maybe there is 12 in the picture.

18. coorz

coorz Miffed

Henri, if i win the bid, i'm prepared to send it to you. But it's no use if noone else has the display, so if Morphine could contact the guy for a group order then we could all benefit. I have no time/funds to do a group order, besides it's easier communication between USA guys.

Henri, if you can get it to work, you can pay me half of the price i paid.
    If you fry it, PAY UP! :D

I suggest that Morphine contacts the guy on discount and available quantities, before we spread the word. Morphine ?

Another thing i thought of when waking up, i have the GU126x32F-K612A4, and it's not the fastest display in the world. Now the KGU126X64F-K612A4 is even slower according to Cheese' review. So logically thinking this 256x64 will be even slower, or not?

19. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I already asked him group rates and the availability of displays.

20. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

depends on the controller they used right? who knows, but still the amount of display space on a VFD that size.... ooooh i want it. I dont care if it can't do fancy animations all that well, some basic ones will keep me happy.