1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"THE RIG" A SoulsEnd project (update 1-25-04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SoulsEnd, 12 Jan 2004.

1. SoulsEnd

SoulsEnd What's a Dremel?

[coughs] me and joe camel go wayyyy back[/coughs]

2. SoulsEnd

Thanks for the great comments fellas. If everything goes as planned, it should come out pretty nice in the end.

If I didnt respond to a post its most likely because I feel it may have been either answered by myself earlier or by someone else. (thanks for the help :thumb: )
    There may be enough room to put a zippy keyboard or such under the front...will give that some thought. I did plan to intergrate a wireless reciever under the front for a keyboard and mouse. Again....NO CABLES.

3. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

can't you see? he's building a small cube - needs all the room he can get :D

4. SoulsEnd

In order for me to keep all cables internal...the riser card will be needed to keep things looking neat and clean.

5. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

dood lose the 90 degree fittings on the hose comming off of the rads, might give you a bit more flow

6. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

looks like it might be a little to big i hope you have a truck to transport it

7. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

'dood' read the whole article, it isnt that long and you might have saved yourself some face, he has stated a few times now that the fittings are only temporary until he gets proper 90 degree bent hose

8. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

if your read the thread you would see that it is going to have wheels! :eyebrow:

9. fuzzygoblin

may i ask how the raiser crd will help the ports will sill face the back of the box wont they and they will be as far back as an apg card without a raiser?

sory im just a little confused :)

10. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i know it has wheels what are you going to do if you have to transport it

like take it to a lan party or you want to take it to a freinds house

are you going to push it 50 miles pull it in your car thats what i mean

hell in the house you could use a dolly to move it

11. SoulsEnd

Picture time...

Without riser
    [​IMG]

With riser
    [​IMG]

This way...all ports will be even across the back and make things look much more tidy. Plus the card wont be blocking any view of the waterblock or blocks.

12. SoulsEnd

Might be a larger then normal case but it still fits fine in the back seat of most mid-size american cars. 2003 Taurus to be exact ;)

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Eh?

I know it was a dry fit. I'm aware SoulsEnd is waiting for clear 90 elbow pieces. I'm not a retard, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't cast aspersions without understanding first what I thought I'd made plain. No matter what elbow pieces you use it is still a restriction on flow as compared to a piece of tubing in a wide arc. The only reason to use elbow pieces is where there is a space restriction and you need to make a bend tighter than the tubing will safely allow without kinking. In this case there is space under the motherboard for a wide bend so why not ditch the two elbows and use this space to make a more efficient loop? Capisci?

14. fuzzygoblin

ok i see what you mean thats cool i think i might do that when i remake my breifcase mod (graphics card looks really shody), can you get raisers that put the apg slot to the left or the right, like is there diferent ones or can you only get right sided one if you get what i mean

EDIT:
    does that card change it from apg to pci? thats what i looks like top me because the board plugs in and takes up teh entire slot and the new port on teh raiser board apears to be alot smaller :confused:

15. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

First, if you had a riser that turned it the other was it would be over the proc <--bad. And I think it is just the angle of the picture making it look smaller.

Nice work on the project too!

16. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

Hmm.. just a quick question about those AGP riser cards.. do they leave much room between the motherboard PCI slots and the actual graphics card.

Just wondering if it would be possible to use a watercooling block with that graphics card [ the cooling is very limited when you use a AGP riser ]. Never seen such of a riser card and have very limited info what kind of models there are available.

PTK

17. SoulsEnd

I picked this riser because of its height. I wanted all the ports to be even. Also, if you want to water cool, you would need to find a way to route the hoses thru the motherboard. I have yet to find a good way of drilling thru the PCB though. ;)

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Couldn't you use something like the dangerden gpu blocks that have the barbs coming out the side so the hoses run parallel to the plane of the card?

19. ErictheHank

ErictheHank What's a Dremel?

You could always use the Innovatek Cool-Matic http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant...CTGY&Store_Code=HSPC&Category_Code=VGAChipset You have to have a reference design Radeon 9xxx or GeForce FX 5900/5950 but it cools both the GPU and the RAM and it's fittings are on the back of the card. Of course it might put some strain on that riser though.

20. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Nice work!

Here is a humble suggestion, why not take the tubing, cut it top the length you need then throw it into boiling water for a second or ten, then it will bend (unkinked) and hold the shape you give it. It will be easier to route it around and under the mainboard and you also won't have to deal with the entire elbow restriction fiasco.. just my two cents.. also, since you are mechanicialy inclined and that thing is alum.. check out my posting about annodizing... might be a fun little option for the skin of the beastie! keep it up and I will be watching... :rock: