1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Acrylic/Plexi

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlackFlux, 30 Jan 2004.

1. BlackFlux

BlackFlux What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what't it's called but where can I get my hands on some of that black Acrylic/Plexi (smoked and or mirror)?!?!

2. Mudslag

Mudslag What's a Dremel?

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

my favorite is delvies http://www.delviesplastics.com/ (not sure if they sell mirrored)

[edit] looking at the site, it appears that they now sell mirrored.

another good one is usplastics.com They have both smoked and mirrored but cost more. :rock:

4. BlackFlux

What's the best thickness I should get for Acrylic/Plexi case?

5. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

outside-1/4"
    inside-1/8"

6. BlackFlux

instant rice, where are you getting that from?

7. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

just guessing. the outside should be thicker so it doesn't crack easily. it'll make it more durable. 1/8" is easier to work with and is good for making drive cages and such. if you don't want it to weigh as much and aren't worried about it getting damaged, you could use 1/8" on the outside, too.

8. eddie_dane

1/8" is a bit thin for the outside panels. Delvies offers an in-between thickness of 3/16" that would be good for outside panels at a substantial cost saving.

1/8" is good for inside parts because of the workability of it plus, you need to consider other things like when making drive cages, your mounting screws may not be long enough to reach the drive threads unless you use longer screws or alter the acrylic for mounting.

I used 3/16" acrylic to make my drive cages in the vesperdeco case and it worked out well. But I had to use the router to make channels for the drive mount screws. I chose to use standard screws. I could've avoided this problem by using longer screws but I had access to a good router so I opted for using standard hardware.

[​IMG]

9. BlackFlux

So eddie_dane are you saying I should use 3/16" for the outside structure of my case?

10. eddie_dane

I'm saying it's certainly suitable for it and you will save $ and wieght so... I guess I am.

1/4" material is definately much more common and easy to come by. I was just throwing out the option of 3/16" for consideration.