1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Two batteries on one alternator?

Discussion in 'General' started by Shoobie, 31 Jan 2004.

1. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

Okay, first of all, I know close to nothing about cars. I know that the transmission is related to shifting, and that's about it. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you see my point. But anyway, from what I gather, the alternator recharges the battery when it's running. Is it possible to have two batteries run off one alternator? I'm guessing not, but I've never heard anything about this.

2. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

if you run a split charging system it is possible

go to www.talkaudio.co.uk

look through the faq there is a lot of info on relay contruction/split charge

3. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

Thanks man. That helps a lot. Now I know it can be done, even though it's a little over my head. That reminds me, we need a 'that went over my head' smilie.

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

pretty easy to do this one,
    a 30 amp automotive relay with 30 amp cabling is adequate for the job and if you use the alternator warning light feed as the trip for the relay then the second battery wont receive any charge till the engine is running. Handy if your planning on running a silly stereo system on the second battery when the engines not running, plus point is till the engines running theres no circuit between the batteries so the flat one wont draw any power from the charged one

most camping/caravan shops will stock heavier duty stuff and so will any place that deals with motor home conversions as most of these use a 12v system and 2 bloody big batteries (in the uk at least).
    I notice you're in the states and i've seen older american cars with big old v8's running a split charge system so you may find some parts in a local breakers yard; check chevy day vans and the like for stuff like this as well

Tags: