1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Stealthed drives

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Butch, 23 Jan 2004.

1. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

I pulled up this thread, its pretty old but gives the new people an idea of how to do the simple steathed drive mod: :rock:

warning when using any type of multi tool or power tool please wear appropriate safety gear. Goggles, ear protectors, mask and gloves:)

Right, this is a little mod that pulled a lil bit of attention to a few people and they wanted to see this guide well happy modding

1) right, firstly you have to grab your bezel, prefably the one that was specified for your case.
    [​IMG]

2)Right now youve done that you need to get some sort of cutting tool e.g DREMMAL!!:D or a hacksaw will suffice. Go right ahead, and cut off those nasty tabs! (sorry no pics here:( )

3)Once this is done im afraid its sanding down if you dont have a dremmal! if you DO have a dremal, just sand down untill it is flat (if using metal bezel, please leave roughly 4 mm of space all the way around. It should look like this
    [​IMG]

4)Now get some double sided sticky tape and cut to length. Please take care when doing this, get it right first time and your draw will open with no strain every time.

[​IMG]

5)Grab some thin card and stick onto the double sided sticky tape. this will rade out the bezel a little further which will accommodate the push card. Again repeat step 4 and add stick tape on top of thin card.

[​IMG]

6)Right, now get some more sticky tape and stick some on the button, then add a thin strip of card, this will act as a push sensitive button.

[​IMG]

7)CAREFULLY line up the bezel onto the optical drive and press firmly for a couple of second untill the tape has had time to get a stick onto the bezel.
    [​IMG]
    8)Finally enjoy you masterpeice, a touch sensitive stelthed drive:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

over and out and happy moddin:D

[​IMG]

2. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

has n e one stealthed a pioneer drive with one of those bezels cause i want to do it to mine but don't want to mess up, does that plastic crack easy. :worried:

3. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

Hey, yeah ive seen people do it, using a dremmel and needle fileing it down nice and smoothe, ill try to pick out the place dude:)

4. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

whats really scarey about this guide is that you have the same case i had, the same fanbus i have, and you stealthed your drives the -exact- same way i did :worried:
    good job :thumb:

5. BlackJaX

BlackJaX What's a Dremel?

cool guide. you didn't spell "dremel" properly once however.

i like your added cautions :)

6. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

Aight dude LMFAO!!'

you the dictionary police??

7. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Thats ingenious pretty kool man :D

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Well done!

Excellent guide mate! Will definately be using on my next mod! :thumb:

9. Sir Overclock

Sir Overclock What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the guide. will definatly come in usefull!

:thumb:

10. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I actually used velcro instead of tape.
    It holds much better, and it can be taken off easier for maintenance.

11. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

i have similar bezels...mine has black acrylic... i hot glued the bezel to a flat LEGO and hot glued that to the disc tray. I also loosened the screw holding that fake rivet in and re-routed the eject button directly behind it, so that rivet looking thing is now my eject button. I also rerouted the led and changed it to blue. I drilled a hole in the plastic bezel and just scratch away the black paiont on the back of the acrylic so the led would shine through in just that spot... good stuff.

12. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Do you just have to reach underneath and press the normal button to send the drive back in?

I don't really get it because the button doesn't come out with the drive tray when ejected?

Any help would be appreciated. :thumb:

13. richms

richms What's a Dremel?

Just push on the front like any other optical drive and cd player ever made.

14. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

or you could just rewire the button elsewhere on the case like i did :D (funny thing is tho i dont have the bay covers on right now so it is kinda pointless to have the buttons rewired) oh well need to start on new case anyways. great job man, you definatly took it further than i did. all i did was snap the the two clips off and inset the drives abit. but yours does look much cleaner :thumb:

JEEVES

15. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

or, for something crazy and different, you could stealth your drive with an lcd and cover. :dremel: trust me, you probably haven't seen this done before. check out the main rig on my sig to see it. sorry about the lack of pics here, i'm building my web page right now so i won't be uploading immediately.

16. TMM

TMM Modder

nice guide. some pointers though

- use a hot glue gun instead of double sided tape. with the tape the whole panel slips down after a while.

- i you have drive rails. when drilling the metal bit (to set the drive back a little) separate the metal from the plastic, otherwise you will end up with a big melted plastic mess! (becuase the metal gets VERY hot)

17. benthekiller

benthekiller What's a Dremel?

err i think u left something out, isnt it normal that u have to move the drive back a little? just reading through this as my first desktop is in the mail and im gonna mod it straight away :)

18. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

i like!!! u got the same case as me but urs is black!!! :clap:

19. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

hey i got a question, Does anyone have an extra one of those bay covers. I need one more to finish my case and noone sells them (and i have already taken all the display ones from frys :worried: . I would be mor than happy to buy any spare ones that anyone has. thanks

JEEVES

20. slipstream3d

slipstream3d What's a Dremel?

LOL, the shifty eyes are perfect... Fry's doesn't suspect a thing, haha.

My case uses these, but now that I've read this article no one's taking them, mwhaha!

Tags: