1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling cpu temp program, know a good one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curme, 1 Feb 2004.

1. curme

curme Minimodder

i just got my wavemaster hooked-up (i had a lian li tower), but i'm getting crazy cpu temps. sandra says 60/140, asus probe says 43/109. i remembering reading that maximum pc had a freeware utility for cpu temps that they swore by, but i can't find it. anyone know it, or a good program to give me some accurate temp readings?

Last edited: 1 Feb 2004
  2. curme

curme Minimodder

After some research mbm5 looks good, anyone care to opine?

3. ajack

ajack rox

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Well most people use MBM5 but I don't like it. If Asus Probe says the CPU is 43C then you will probably get the same in MBM. It sounds about right.

The thing about temp snesors on motherboards is that they are veyr inaccurate. They should be taken as more of a guidline on what your temps are likely to be. They're more useful in seeing the difference between your temps beofre and after overclocking or after changing the cooling in your case.

5. Sir Overclock

Sir Overclock What's a Dremel?

MBM5 works great for me... actually, using it right now.. BIG heatsink and 60mm fan means my XP2500+ o.ked from 1.8 to 2.3GHz only at 39*C...

6. DanielA

DanielA What's a Dremel?

I am concerned that my motherboard isn't monitoring my temperatuers properly. I just got a brand new MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR, an XP2700+ and a Cooler Master Aero7+ supposedly keeping it cool, however "PC Alert 4" that came with the motherboard, AND the BIOS are reporting the CPU temp as 60, to 64 degrees C, and the system temp at 50 and 51 degrees C. Does this seem wrong? I used to have a Cooler Master X-Dream on my Athlon 1200MHz, which when running full tilt kept the CPU at a cooler 48 degrees C. Is it worth trying the X-Dream on my 2700+, or do you think my temperature readings are wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 3 Feb 2004
  7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

MBM5 + Webtemp works great over here :p

i get good temps for what im running :p

Also MBM has lots of features etc...

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Your temps are undoubtedly wrong. The only way to really tell if it is running too hot is too see how stable it is. Download Prime95 and leave that running for a couple of hours.

Else you might want to see if yopur heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU. Try touching the heatsink. If it's cold then you aren't getting good contact and should try re-seating it.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

a) this should be in software

b) speedfan works well for me, no need to configure it like MBM.

10. TMM

TMM Modder

if programs say different temp, they are gonna be WAY different.

speedfan, asus probe and MBM5 all give the same temp readings for me.

11. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

ASUS probe does the job for me.

I used to use mbm, but dont really need it so it's been uninstalled. Had some weird crashes with mbm5, so not too impressed. It's good when it works though, nice integration with progs like coolmon/sysmetrix etc

12. penski

penski BodMod

Guess what I read that as...

*n

13. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

only you penski... :nono: naughty li'l boy

:blush:

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Speedfan is great! A nice small program that can sit in the system tray, and even control fan speeds to keep a set temperature.

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Something weird going on if you're getting different temps from different software - all the software works in the same way - by reading a value from a chip on the motherboard that takes temp readings from the probes. No matter what software you use the temps should read the same. You must somehow be reading two different sensors. I'd trust what Asus probe says - it must know which value corresponds to the cpu temp.

Tags: